Forme autorisée du nom
Sir George Williams University. Computer Centre
forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
The Computer Centre at Sir George Williams University (SGWU) was developed by Professors Jack Bordan (Engineering), Kurt Jonassohn (Sociology) and Graham Martin (Engineering) in the early 1960s. Kurt Jonassohn was a chief instigator in the acquisition of the first computer, an IBM 1620. The SGWU Computer Centre was formally organized in September 1965 with Graham Martin as its first Director, reporting to the Vice-Principal Academic. In August 1966 the Centre was given a proper place in the new Henry F. Hall Building. During the events that led to what is known as the Sir George Computer Centre Incident, the computer equipment had been severely damaged and a fire had broken out in the Computer Centre on February 11, 1969. The main computers of the Centre were subsequently housed away from the Hall Building for the next 25 years.