Fonds P0028 - Sir George Williams Part-Time Students’ Association of Concordia University fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sir George Williams Part-Time Students’ Association of Concordia University fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Object

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

P0028

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1942-1979, predominant 1969-1975 (Creation)
    Creator
    Concordia University. Sir George Williams Part-Time Students’ Association of Concordia University

Physical description area

Physical description

6.35 m of textual records
1 object

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

([194-?]-1979)

Administrative history

The Sir George Williams Part-Time Students' Association of Concordia University (PTSA) was originally named the Evening Faculty Student Society. The date of its creation is unknown. In 1950, it changed its name to Evening Undergraduate Society (EUS), and with the presentation of a new constitution in 1955, the association again changed its name to Evening Students' Association (ESA). In 1968, the ESA started publishing a newspaper called The Paper, which became The Concordian in May 1973.

In March 1974, because of mismanagement of the ESA, the Sir George Williams University Board of Governors suspended the constitution of the Association. After a short legal battle, the Board of Governors won the right to audit the Association and created a Board of Trustees which managed the Association while it prepared a report on its future. (Sir George Williams University officially merged with Loyola College to form Concordia University in August 1974.) In March 1975 the Board of Trustees published part of its report in The Concordian. They proposed a new constitution and a new name: the Sir George Williams Part-Time Students' Association of Concordia University (PTSA). In April 1975, these were approved by the Board of Governors.

The Board of Trustees stayed in office as the PTSA executive. In October 1975 an attempt to elect a student executive failed. An extension was granted by the Concordia University Board of Governors and the Board of Trustees attempted another election in March 1976; that election was cancelled. In May 1976 the Board of Governors created an advisory committee to administer the PTSA until a student executive could be elected for the 1977-1978 academic year, but after a few attempts at stimulating part-time student interest, the advisory committee decided not to proceed with the election. The PTSA continued to publish the student newspaper The Concordian until February 1976. The advisory committee remained in place until the creation of the Concordia University Students' Association (CUSA) in 1979.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds provides information on the administration of the Sir George Williams Part-Time Students' Association of Concordia University, and its evolution from an administrative and financial perspective.

The fonds consists of minutes, correspondence, financial records, advertising, a constitution and by-laws, and a plaque from the SGW Unitarian Club.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Most of the documents were donated to Records Management and Archives in July 1979. The seven bound volumes of the SGWU Evening Students' Association (ESA) were transferred to the Archives by the Library, in September 1977. A few items related to the SGW Unitarian Club (1957-1958) were donated by the Unitarian Church of Montreal in 1996. An ESA correspondence file and a few newspaper issues were donated by Ross Miller in 2014.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box listings are available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres