To ensure the long-term preservation of archival documents, it is important to follow the rules listed below. These rules apply to both the Library's Special Collections and Records Management and Archives Reading Rooms.
- Material may not be removed from the research area(s).
- Bring only what you need to take notes. Leave coats, bags, and other similar items in the lockers or on the coat racks provided. Electronic devices are allowed.
- No food or drink is permitted.
- Use pencils only. No pens of any kind may be used.
- Consult only one box of materials at a time.
- Remove only one folder from a box at a time.
- Maintain order of the materials in the folder. Do not reorganize or reclassify archival materials.
- Do not annotate or dirty documents.
- Do not mark pages with sticky notes. Use the markers provided.
- Report any accident or damage to a document immediately
HANDLING OF DOCUMENTS
- Handle all materials with care.
- Handle the enclosure or the container rather than the documents.
- Do not lean on documents, books, enclosures or archives boxes.
- Do not place your note pad or electronic equipment on top of collection material.
- Replace documents you are not using into file folders and boxes.
- Realign papers manually before returning the file folder to a box.
- Support fragile bindings by using book-rests.
- Use lint-free gloves while consulting photographic materials and fragile documents.