Title and statement of responsibility area
Ira Robinson fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Sound recording
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1974 - 2021 (Creation)
- Robinson, Ira
Physical description area
approx. 6 boxes (1.92 m) of textual records
1 b&w photo
20 compact cassettes
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Ira Robinson is a professor of Judaic studies in the department of Religion and Cultures of Concordia University. He received his BA in Humanities from the Johns Hopkins University in 1973. Robinson obtained his M.A. in Jewish History from Columbia University in 1975 before becoming a lecturer at the department of Religion of Concordia University in 1979. Harvard University awarded Robinson his Ph.D. in 1980. He was promoted to the Associate Professor rank in 1984 and was the Graduate Program Director of the M.A. in Judaic Studies from 1984 to 1991. He sat on the Council of the Faculty of Arts and Science from 1990-1991 to 1997-1998. Robinson was elected chair of the department of Religion in 1989, a position he would keep until 1997. He was finally promoted Full Professor in 1993. Robinson would be promoted Graduate Program Director again, from 2000 to 2009. Robinson was inducted into the Provost’s Circle of Distinction on May 30, 2013. He was designated Distinguished Professor Emeritus in 2022. Ira Robinson published more than 15 books and over 50 articles. His research interests are Canadian Judaism, Orthodox Judaism in North America, Hasidism, Judaism and science and Jewish mysticism.
- Ira Robinson obtained his first award, the Louis L. Kaplan Prize in Hebrew Literature from the Baltimore Hebrew College, in 1970.
- He was awarded the 1986 prize in the non-fiction category of the Kenneth B. Smilen Literary Awards as the editor of Cyrus Adler: Selected Letters.
- In 1988, Robinson chaired the 3-day event Yiddish Montreal symposium, underlining Montreal as a world centre of Yiddish literary creativity.
- He was elected president of the Canadian Jewish Historical Society (now the Canadian Society for Jewish Studies) in June of 1994.
- Robinson was the president of the Jewish Public Library in Montreal from 1996 to 1998.
- The Koffler Centre for the Arts in Toronto’s Jewish Book Awards Committee granted Robinson the Prize for scholarship on a Canadian Jewish subject for the book ‘Renewing Our Days: Montreal Jews in the Twentieth Century’ in 1995.
- Robinson was instrumental in the creation of the Institute for Canadian Jewish Studies in 1999. He has acted as a director for the institute in 2005-2006, and 2012 to
- He chaired the Canadian Jewish Studies Researchers’ Forum held March 2001 in Montreal.
- In 2002, Robinson was elected to the Academic Council of the American Jewish Historical Society.
- Robinson was awarded the Louis Rosenberg Canadian Jewish Studies Distinguished Service Award in 2013 for his continuous support of Jewish Studies.
The material was donated by Ira Robinson in the summer of 2022.
Scope and content
The fonds provides information about Ira Robinson’s research and teaching career.
The fonds is divided in 5 main series:
- AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- LECTURES AND CONFERENCES
- RESEARCH AND PUBLISHING
It consists of course files, records on the many conferences, colloquiums and lectures Robinson took part in, records on the books and articles he published throughout the years. There are also records related to his involvement with the Jewish Public Library and his role as a leader in the field of Canadian Jewish Studies.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Due to personal information, the access to the graduate student files and professional dossier is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box listings are available.
A selection of digital objects are accessible: https://archive.org/details/concordia-archives-private-fonds?and=creator%3A%22ira+robinson%22
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Robinson, Ira (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail