Title and statement of responsibility area
Harold Potter fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1947 - 1976 (Creation)
- Potter, Harold
Physical description area
0.21 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Harold Herbert Potter was born on March 27, 1914 and died on May 8, 2004 in Montreal. He attended Sir George Williams College and graduated with a BA in 1939. He was editor of the SGW College weekly newspaper, The Georgian, in 1938-1939 and co-producer of the annual song and dance revue “The Georgiantics” in 1939 and 1940. In 1937, Potter composed “The Georgian Marching Song”, a college hymn to build up in the students a real sense of college life. After he graduated, he worked several years as Acting Boy’s Work Secretary at the Central YMCA. From there, he went to the Dominion Electric Protection Company as Assistant to the Plant Manager. In 1942, he joined the Canadian Army, starting out in the Signal Corps and ending up in the Canadian Army Organization Research Group, helping to develop psychological tests. After the war, Harold Potter entered McGill University to do post-graduate studies in Sociology and completed a MA in 1949.
He joined Sir George Williams University in 1947 as lecturer in Sociology and was promoted assistant professor in 1949. He became associate professor in 1954 and full professor in 1963. He was chairman of the Sociology Department from 1963-1964 to 1966-1967. In 1969-1970, he was a visiting professor of Sociology at the Southeastern Massachusetts University for a year. He continued teaching at Concordia until he retired in 1977.
The documents were donated to Records Management and Archives in 2005 by Jean-Philippe Warren, professor in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology, who had obtained them from Professor Potter’s son.
Scope and content
The fonds provides information on Harold Potter’s teaching activities at SGW and Concordia University.
The fonds contains term papers, course outlines, examinations, minutes, and drafts of articles.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to some documents is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box listings are available.
No further accruals are expected.