Fonds P190 - Edwy Cooke fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Edwy Cooke fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

P190

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1951 - 1985 (Production)
    Producteur
    Cooke, Edwy

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

0.30 m of textual records

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1926-2000)

Notice biographique

Edwy Cooke, a painter and an educator, was born on March 10, 1926 in Toronto and died in Montreal on March 13, 2000. He graduated from the University of Toronto with a BA (Honours) in Art and Archeology in 1949 and from the State University of Iowa with MFA in 1951. From 1951 to 1959 he was an instructor for the department of Art and Archeology at the University of Toronto. From 1953 to 1959, he was also curator of the Lord Lee of Fareham Collection at the University of Toronto. From 1959 until 1964, he was director of the Beaverbrook Art Gallery in Fredericton, New Brunswick and also head of the department of Fine Arts at the University of New Brunswick.
He came to Montreal in 1964 and joined Sir George Williams University as associate professor of Fine Arts. He taught various art history courses, including the first full course in Canadian art history offered by the department. He was promoted to full professor in 1969. From 1970 to 1976, he was Chairman of the Department of Fine Arts. He was Director of the Sir George Williams Art Galleries (now the Leonard and Bina Ellen Art Gallery) from 1966 to 1973. After the establishment of the Faculty of Fine Arts in 1975, he became an active member of its Department of Art History where he taught until his retirement in 1996.

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

The fonds mainly provides information on his teaching activities at Concordia and administrative duties as Director of the SGW Art Galleries.

The fonds includes course outlines, reference materials on art, student exams and papers, committee minutes and correspondence.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

The documents were donated to Records Management and Archives by an unknown source in 2001.

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Access to some documents is restricted.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Box listings are available.

Instrument de recherche

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

No further accruals are expected.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés