Title and statement of responsibility area
Edwy Cooke fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1951 - 1985 (Creation)
- Cooke, Edwy
Physical description area
0.30 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Edwy Cooke, a painter and an educator, was born on March 10, 1926 in Toronto and died in Montreal on March 13, 2000. He graduated from the University of Toronto with a BA (Honours) in Art and Archeology in 1949 and from the State University of Iowa with MFA in 1951. From 1951 to 1959 he was an instructor for the department of Art and Archeology at the University of Toronto. From 1953 to 1959, he was also curator of the Lord Lee of Fareham Collection at the University of Toronto. From 1959 until 1964, he was director of the Beaverbrook Art Gallery in Fredericton, New Brunswick and also head of the department of Fine Arts at the University of New Brunswick.
He came to Montreal in 1964 and joined Sir George Williams University as associate professor of Fine Arts. He taught various art history courses, including the first full course in Canadian art history offered by the department. He was promoted to full professor in 1969. From 1970 to 1976, he was Chairman of the Department of Fine Arts. He was Director of the Sir George Williams Art Galleries (now the Leonard and Bina Ellen Art Gallery) from 1966 to 1973. After the establishment of the Faculty of Fine Arts in 1975, he became an active member of its Department of Art History where he taught until his retirement in 1996.
Scope and content
The fonds mainly provides information on his teaching activities at Concordia and administrative duties as Director of the SGW Art Galleries.
The fonds includes course outlines, reference materials on art, student exams and papers, committee minutes and correspondence.
Immediate source of acquisition
The documents were donated to Records Management and Archives by an unknown source in 2001.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to some documents is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box listings are available.
No further accruals are expected.