Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
- Sound recording
- Moving images
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1941-2003, predominant 1978-1995 (Creation)
- Concordia University. Student Union
Physical description area
ca. 1400 photographs : b&w and col. prints, negatives and slides
0.41 m of microfiches of textual records
18 audio reels
16 videocassettes : VHS, VHS-C, and Betacam
27 floppy diskettes : 3½-inch
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The original idea for a single, united students’ association at Concordia started even before the university was created in 1974 by the merger of Loyola College and Sir George Williams University (SGWU). As early as 1972 negotiations took place between the Loyola and SGWU undergraduate student associations and went on for some years before reaching a final structure. In March 1979 undergraduate students from Loyola and SGW campuses voted in a referendum and approved the formation of the Concordia-wide Students' Association, to represent all undergraduate students: Concordia University Student Association (CUSA). On April 2-5, 1979 the first election for the CUSA co-presidents and legislative council was held. Agop der Khatchadurian and Louis Francescutti, were the first CUSA co-presidents.
In a referendum held in March 1982, students voted for incorporation in principle. CUSA was incorporated by Quebec, on September 3, 1982. In March 1983, students voted 84 per cent in favour of CUSA’s new and improved by-laws, taking legal ownership of the Association from the university administration to the students. Elected officers would be accountable to the undergraduate student body, the shareholders of the corporation. In 1984, CUSACorp was created, a wholly owned subsidiary of CUSA whose sole purpose was to provide and run student entertainment services at Concordia, namely the Loyola Campus Centre and Reggie’s Pub on the downtown campus.
In March 1994, undergraduate students agreed in a referendum to change the name of CUSA to the Concordia Student Union (CSU), and additionally supported several restructuring motions. A major change saw the replacement of the co-president system with the election of a single CSU president. In April 1994, Marika Giles was elected as the first CSU president.
On March 29-30, 2000 undergraduate students voted in a referendum to end the appointment of the CSU vice-presidents. Starting in 2001, all presidential candidates would run for office with a slate of vice-presidents, ending over 20 years of their being appointed after the general elections.
Concordia Student Union has been publishing, at the beginning of every academic year, the CSU Student Handbook.
Scope and content
The fonds provides information on the administration of the Concordia Student Union and also on some of its founding student associations from Loyola and Sir George Williams.
The fonds mainly consists of minutes, financial records, reports, and correspondence.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Concordia University. Student Union (Creator)