Affichage de 2663 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Davis, Dorothy

  • DD1
  • Personne
  • 1897-1993

Dorothy Davis was born in 1897. She married and had a son, Robert Stein. In 1937 she was the co-founder with Violet Walters of the Montreal Children's Theatre, a theatre and theatre school for children. They directed the theatre from 1933 to 1990. Dorothy Davis died on September 22, 1993.

Quebec Drama Federation

  • QDF1
  • Collectivité
  • 1989-

The Quebec Drama Federation is Quebec's umbrella association for English-language theater. The Federation is an outgrowth of the former Quebec Drama Festival, which was created in 1972 with the collapse of the Dominion Drama Festival. In 1981 a new festival was initiated, and in 1989 the organization changed its name to Quebec Drama Federation. QDF was re-incorporated as a federation in 1992 and completed its last festival in 1993. Current membership includes 100 individual artists and 50 theatre companies. QDF provides leadership in promotion, development, support, and advocacy. The mandate is to represent professional and aspiring theatre companies, individual artists, theatrical practitioners, theatre companies, and theatrical educators. Among the areas of ongoing research, consultation, and representation are access to cultural infrastructures, training resources, copyright protection, and a fair taxation system for artists. The Federation is supported by its members and the Department of Canadian Heritage, le Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, Emploi-Québec, and other organizations.

Adams, Desmond Rupert

  • DA1
  • Personne
  • November 14, 1922-November 25, 2007

Desmond Adams, photographer, was born on November 14, 1922. He died in Montreal on November 25, 2007. He was the fourth of six children, all born in Montreal, to Caribbean immigrants, Edith Nanton of Nevis and Herman Adams of St. Kitts. He attended Royal Arthur Elementary School where he discovered his musical ear and learnt to play the accordion. He joined the Canadian army in 1939 and served two years overseas in England and continental Europe during World War II. He was discharged on November 19, 1946. During the late 1940s and the 1950s he performed with his accordion in many cafes in Montreal, and found work as a railroad porter for the Canadian Pacific Railways. While performing with Olga Spencer's Rainbow Revue, he met Jean Peters Gordon, one of the Revue dancers. They married in 1949 and had two sons, David Desmond and Rodney Gordon, now renamed Sur Rodney (Sur).

After being given his first camera, Desmond Adams left his work with the railroad and no longer worked as a musician. Photography became his ambition and he was successful with it. During the 1960s he separated from his wife Jean and divorced her a decade later. During his separation he moved into a Linton Street apartment in the area of Côte-des-Neiges where he lived for many years, and where he built his first darkroom, before moving to LaSalle in the 1980s where he bought his house.

He worked professionally as a freelance photographer and portraitist, and was part of many communities. He began by photographing scenery and then portraits, and eventually established himself as a photographer of events and weddings, while at the same time experimenting with his own distinctive photography. For a short period he experimented with producing and editing short videos recorded with his video camera, and also produced small editions of his poetry illustrated with tipped in reproductions of his photographs. As early as 1972 he began presenting his photographs in solo and group exhibitions, several of them hosted in his home studio. During the 1980s he was employed with the School Board and started a photography club at École secondaire Saint-Laurent, in St. Laurent during the mid 1980s, where he assisted with the photography for the school's yearbook. He retired in 1990.


  • O1
  • Collectivité

The Montreal neighbourhood known as Overdale was bounded by the following streets: Overdale on the south, René Lévesque on the north, Mackay on the west, and Lucien L’Allier on the east. In 1987, 77 persons who rented living quarters in the area were threatened with eviction as a developer had bought the properties and wanted to build a 650-unit condominium. Estimated to cost $100 million, the development was to have twin 39-storey towers. The developer made a deal with the City of Montreal that would compensate him for relocating the residents. The developer would provide low-cost housing in a new building a few blocks away named Underdale. A press release from the City’s executive committee has the headline A Montreal Precedent: Developer Commits Himself to Rebuilding Low Rental Housing to Ensure Construction of an Important Real Estate Project.

Only after the deal was made did the City inform the affected residents. Some, mostly roomers, accepted the deal of a small cash settlement and relocation to Underdale. The majority wanted their homes integrated into the developer’s plan rather than have them demolished. The majority of City councillors and the executive committee were in favour of demolishing several buildings. A minority of City Council members were on the side of residents who wished to stay in their homes. Various tenants’ rights and heritage and neighbourhood preservation groups were formed, including the Overdale Housing Cooperative, the Overdale Tenants’ Association, Friends of Overdale, Les Amis d’Overdale-Lafontaine, and Save Overdale.

Residents used what were termed guerilla tactics in an effort to force the promoter and the city to change their plans. On several occasions residents and sympathizers were arrested for trying to prevent their eviction and the demolition of their homes. In March and June of 1988 the police riot squad showed up to evict the tenants who had still not left their homes. The buildings were emptied. Some were demolished and others boarded up. One of the houses affected, though not demolished, was the residence of Sir Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine, prime minister of pre-confederation Canada 1848-1851, considered one of the fathers of responsible government in Canada and one of those who assured that French would be an official language of Canada.

As of 2003, the Lafontaine house still stands, boarded up, and a parking lot operates where the demolished buildings had been located.

Waters, Katherine E.

  • KW1
  • Personne
  • 1962-1996

Following elementary and secondary education under the Religious Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Montreal, Katherine Waters studied English at McGill University and then at Oxford University. In 1962 she became the first woman hired to teach at Loyola College. After its merger in 1974 with Sir George Williams University to form Concordia University, she continued teaching English at Concordia. She was active in university and feminist politics. She was one of the founders of Concordia University's Simone de Beauvoir Institute. She was intensely and continuously involved in university political and service work for many years. She retired in 1996.

Hall, Henry F.

  • HFH1
  • Personne
  • 1897-1971

Henry F. Hall was the fourth principal of Sir George Williams University (1957-1962), dean (1936-1956) and student counsellor, and full-time faculty member in the Natural Sciences Division (1934-1967). Over the course of Hall’s forty-year career he helped direct the transition of Sir George Williams College into a credited university, developed the guidance program, and encouraged curriculum development, increased course offerings, and student and faculty growth. Hall’s approach to teaching and administration was influenced by the ethos of the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) and the social impact of World War I and II, and his leadership shaped by his relationships with co-administrators and former principals Kenneth E. Norris and Douglass B. Clarke. He is also the author of “The Georgian Spirit: The Story of Sir George Williams University,” published in 1966. Hall died September 4, 1971 at his home in Montreal, Quebec.

Hall was born June 18, 1897 in Farnham, Brome County, in the Quebec Eastern Townships to Frederick Rupert Hall and Guelielma (Ella) Foss both of Cowansville, Quebec. He attended secondary school at Cowansville Academy. In 1916, Hall enlisted in the Canadian army and served overseas from 1916 to 1918 with the 42nd Battalion, Royal Highlanders of Canada. Before the end of World War I he began working with the recreational facilities for servicemen program sponsored by the YMCA in 1918 at the Bramshott Demobilization Centre, a Canadian military training base in Hampshire, England. Due to his involvement with the YMCA overseas, upon his return to Quebec in the summer of 1919, Hall was offered the position Boys’ Work Secretary in the Sherbrooke Association of the YMCA in Sherbrooke, Quebec.

In 1920, Hall moved to Montreal, Quebec where he enrolled at the Montreal Diocesan Theological College (an affiliate college of McGill University) and was granted his Licentiate of Religious Education in 1924. With this training, Hall was appointed Boys’ Work Secretary for the Central Branch of the Montreal YMCA that same year. 1924 was also marked by Hall’s marriage to his fiancée, Anna Eliza Thompson, in October. The couples’ eldest son, Radway, was born in 1925, followed by Frederick and John by 1929.

Thanks to his experience and training with the YMCA in 1926 Hall was appointed Student Counsellor at Sir George Williams College (formerly called the Montreal YMCA Schools) located in downtown Montreal. Hall’s new position was the first of its kind in Canada. In 1934, Hall joined the College faculty as a Professor in the Natural Sciences Division. Alongside his guidance duties, he began teaching Natural Science 101 (General Course in the Natural Sciences), Biology 102 (Genetics and Human Welfare), Psychology 103 (Educational and Vocational Guidance), Religious Education 101 (Principles of Religious Education) and Religious Education 102 (Curriculum and Practice in Religious Education). True to the Colleges’ the principles of accessible and continuing education for adults, these courses were offered in the evening and during the day. Hall’s own education remained a priority throughout the 1920s and 1930s. He completed summer courses in 1927 at the Graduate School of Education at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts and additional courses at Eastern University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

In 1935, Hall was promoted to dean. This position expanded Hall’s guidance functions and would define his career as he would continue to be affectionately known as ‘Dean Hall,’ or simply ‘Dean,’ even after he stepped down and began his tenure as principal in 1957. In the 1940s and 1950s, Hall’s teaching responsibilities grew to include the courses Education 104 (Curriculum and Practice in Religious Education), Education 103 (Principles of Religious Education), Sociology 108b (Administration of the YMCA and similar agencies), Sociology 108 (Applied Sociology), and Sociology 108c (History, Philosophy and Organization of the YMCA, later titled Applied Sociology 211).

In addition to his work at Sir George Williams, Hall sat on the committee of the YMCA of Montreal, the executive committee of the National Council of YMCAs of Canada, and the International Committee of YMCAs. He served terms as president of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, University Counselling and Placement Services, and the Montreal Council of Social Agencies, and sat on the board of directors of the Montreal Council of Social Agencies and the Montreal Diocesan Theological College. Hall was also an active member of the National Geographic Society, the Kiwanis Club of Sir George, and St. Philips Anglican Church in Montreal West.

Hall retired as principal in 1962 and from teaching in 1966, at which point he also stepped down from his administrative duties as member of the University Council and Board of Governors. He remained involved at Sir George as Principal Emeritus and Governor Emeritus. To honour his long administrative and teaching career, the new university building located on de Maisonneuve Boulevard (formerly Burnside Street) opened in 1966 was named the Henry F. Hall Building. In recognition of his term as principal, the Henry F. Hall Scholarship Fund was established in 1962 and Hall was awarded the Sir George Williams University Long Service Award in 1963. Hall was also celebrated within the educational community: he was granted honourary Doctor of Laws degrees from McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario (1956), McGill University (1962), and Sir George Williams University (1966), and an honourary Doctor of Divinity degree from the Montreal Diocesan Theological College (1960). Hall’s commitment to the YMCA was recognized with an honourary membership and lifetime contribution award granted by the National Council of YMCAs. In 1967, Hall was one of the first recipients of the Centennial Medal and Order of Canada.

Concordia University. Art History Graduate Students Association

  • Collectivité
  • 1991-2000

The Art History Graduate Students Association is the body that represents graduate students in Art History in the Concordia University Faculty of Fine Arts. It is student-run and aims to facilitate the formation of students in the Art History Graduate program by events, funding, and support.

Loyola College. Faculty Association

  • LFA1
  • Collectivité
  • 1969-1975

Following the 1974 merger of Sir George Williams University and Loyola College to form Concordia University, the Loyola Faculty Association and Sir George Williams Association of University Teachers merged, in the summer of 1975, to form the Concordia University Faculty Association.

Sir George Williams University. Department of Physical Education

  • Collectivité
  • ca 1970 - 1975

In the 1941-1942 calendar, Sir George Williams College is offering for the first time, a Student Health Programme, which is described as an active programme of student athletics and health education. In the 1950s, the Athletic Council of Sir George Williams College was established. Under the authority of the Board of Governors and Faculty Council, its purpose was to act as the governing body for all intercollegiate and intramural sports and athletics. In the 1957-1958 calendar, the programme is extended to Sports and Athletics with varsity and intramural components. In the 1970s, the unit was referred to as the Department of Physical Education. The programme included intercollegiate sports, intramural and recreational activities, a cheerleading team, a booster club, etc.

Throughout the years, the teams wearing the colors of SGW were named The Georgians. Over the years, the Department produced different publications: the Athletic Handbook and The Georgians in the 1950s and 1960s, and the Georgian Athletics and Georgian Sports Review in the 1970s.

Sir George Williams did not have sports facilities and had to use other institutions’. Sir George Williams College stemmed from the YMCA educational program and kept its tie to the Y until the early 1970s. Because of this, the facilities, including the gym and swimming pool, of the Downtown YMCA, were used until the 1970s.

Sir George Williams University merged with Loyola College in 1974 to create Concordia University. Following the recommendations of a committee to evaluate the Student Services area, the Board of Governors, at its meeting of June 12, 1975, merged the Sir George Williams Department of Physical Education and the Loyola College Department of Athletics into a single unit. The director of the Sir George Williams Department of Physical Education, George Short, became assistant athletic director.

Sir George Williams University. Contingent of the COTC

  • Collectivité
  • 1950-1968

The Sir George Williams University Contingent of the Canadian Officers Training Corps was organized in 1950 at the request of University principal Kenneth E. Norris. The COTC was a subdivision of the University Reserves Program, subsidized and commissioned by the Department of National Defence. The objective was to introduce students to service life. The COTC offered training opportunities to those who wished to pursue a service career. Official authorization for the formation of the unit was granted in 1951 and quarters were obtained in a building at 1180 Bishop Street. Major John McDonald was the first Sir George Williams Contingent commanding officer, from 1951-1954. Training methods included a theoretical phase in which the intellectual awareness of national security issues was taught, and a practical phase. A mess committee was responsible for organizing special events. In 1956 the contingent moved to 772 Sherbrooke St. West.

As a result of major alterations in defence policy after the Korean War (1950-1953), the Department of National Defence set new goals. One primary objective was to reduce expenditures. It was concluded that university reserves programs no longer provided officers for the reserves in sufficient numbers to support their cost. In 1964, meetings were held between the Department of National Defence, the Military Studies Committee, and the board of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada to discuss the future of all Canadian Officers Training Corps units; 50 per cent of reserve units were reduced that year. The University Naval Training Division, the Canadian Officers Training Corps, and the University Reserves Training Plan ended in 1968. The Sir George Williams University contingent was disbanded May 31, 1968. Major John Hall was the last commanding officer. To allow other means for undergraduates to serve in the reserves, the Reserve Officer University Training Plan (ROUPT) was instituted.

Concordia University. Faculty Association

  • CUFA1
  • Collectivité

The Concordia University Faculty Association (CUFA), which represents faculty members, held a memorial service for its former president Morton Stelcner.

Norris, Kenneth E.

  • KEN1
  • Personne
  • 1903-1957

Kenneth E. Norris was born in 1903 in Perth, Ontario. He graduated from McGill University with a bachelor of arts degree in 1929. Following further studies in psychology at McGill, he received a Ph.D. in psychology and education in 1939. His doctoral thesis is entitled The Permanence of School Learning as Indicated by a Study of Unemployed Men.

He joined the Montreal YMCA staff in 1926 as an executive secretary and first arrived at Sir George Williams College in 1929 as registrar and bursar. In 1935, he was appointed principal; he held this position until his retirement in 1956, when he was named principal emeritus. He was the author of the book The Three R's and the Adult Learner: The Survival of Learning in the Basic School Subjects among Unemployed Men, published by McGill University in 1940.

In 1948 he coordinated the securing of university status for the college, and in 1956 he saw years of hard work rewarded with the opening of a large new building for Sir George Williams University. He died in 1957, at the age of 54.

Concordia University. Pensioners' Association

  • CUPA1
  • Collectivité
  • 1987

The first trace of the Concordia University Pensioners' Association (CUPA) is a letter sent in August 1987 to retired Concordia employees informing them that efforts were being made to form a Concordia pensioners' association. The first meeting of what was to become the association took place on November 17, 1987. The draft constitution was accepted unanimously at a meeting on May 4, 1988. The objectives of the association are to promote the welfare of all persons drawing a pension from Concordia University; to ensure that their needs and concerns are brought to the attention of the University through such bodies as the benefits committee of the board of governors; to ensure that members are kept informed about University decisions which affect them, as well as the general evolution of the University; to provide a channel whereby the expertise of members may be made available to the University for consulting or volunteer work, and to provide a milieu for social contact among the members.

Marrelli, Nancy

  • NM1
  • Personne
  • 1944-

Nancy Marrelli was born in Montreal November 21, 1944. She is married to Simon Dardick and has two daughters, Rosemary and Anne. Nancy Marrelli studied at Marianopolis College. She received a diploma from the Sir George Williams Business School in 1965 and graduated with a B.A. in history from Sir George Williams University in 1976. She received an Archives Diploma from the National Archives of Canada in 1982, and did their Preservation Management Training Program 1992-1993. In 1996 she participated in the internship known as the Stage technique international d'archives in Paris.

She joined the staff of Sir George Williams University as a library assistant in 1965. She was administrative assistant to the director of libraries from 1967 to 1981. While at the library she was active as a union representative. In 1982, following a fire in the Archives of Concordia University, she was appointed director of Archives, a position she held until her retirement in September 2010. She then became Archivist Emerita. She is the author of Implementing Preservation Management: A How-to Manual for Archives (the French version is entitled La Gestion de la préservation : un manuel pratique pour les services d'archives), published in 1996 by the Réseau des archives du Québec. She has given lectures at numerous seminars and conferences and is the author of a number of articles on archival science.

In 1994 Nancy Marrelli received the Jacques Ducharme prize of the Association des archivistes du Québec.

Nancy Marrelli is co-owner, with Simon Dardick, and editor of the Montreal literary publishing company Véhicule Press.

Concordia University. Graduate History Students Association

  • Collectivité
  • 1990-

In the 1990s the Concordia Graduate History Students' Association organised annual conferences called History in the Making, to allow graduate students in history to present papers in their respective fields. The conferences were not restricted to Concordia students: invitations were extended to universities in Québec, Ontario, the Maritimes, and the northeastern United States.

Concordia University. Physics Students Association

  • Collectivité

The Concordia Physics Students Association (CPSA) provides a voice for undergraduate students involved in physics or physics-related courses.

Source: Concordia Physics Student Association Web site.

Concordia University. Queer Collective

  • CUCQC1
  • Collectivité
  • 1978-

Founded in 1978, Lesbian and Gay Friends of Concordia (LGFC) was formed primarily as a mutual support group for gay persons in the university environment. Eventually a new goal was added: to bridge the gap of misunderstanding and hate which have developed on all sides of the sexual divide. The association changed its name to the gender-neutral Concordia Queer Collective in 1992.

Loyola College. Dramatic Society

  • LCDS1
  • Collectivité
  • 1926-1972

The Loyola College Dramatic Society was formed in 1926. It became known as Loyola Drama, and presented numerous productions over the years. In 1970 there were management difficulties, and Loyola Drama joined with Loyola Music, adopting the name Loyola Musical Theatre Society. After a difficult year 1971-1972, the Loyola Musical Theatre Society was dismantled in the summer of 1972. Other college dramatic companies followed.

Gilmore, John

  • JG1
  • Personne
  • 1951-

John Gilmore est né à Montréal en 1951 et a grandi en banlieue, plus précisément à St-Eustache-sur-le-lac, devenu par la suite Cité des Deux-Montagnes. Gradué du CÉGEP de l'Université Sir George Williams en 1972, il étudia et devint par la suite journaliste à Bridgend au Pays de Galles de 1974 à 1976. Lors de son retour à Montréal, il travailla au journal The Gazette de 1977 à 1978 et il commença à prendre des leçons privées de saxophone.

En 1978, il devint étudiant à temps plein au programme de jazz à l'Université Concordia et il obtint un Baccalauréat en Beaux-arts (musique) en 1981. Durant cette période, il fut aussi l'animateur d'une émission sur le jazz sur Radio Centreville CINQ-FM et commença à faire de la recherche sur l'histoire du jazz à Montréal.

De 1981 à 1986, il fut rédacteur à la pige, en plus d'être pigiste, et enseigna aussi l'histoire du jazz pendant un an à Concordia tout en faisant la recherche et en rédigeant deux livres, grâce à une subvention du Conseil canadien des arts: Swinging in Paradise: The Story of Jazz in Montreal publié en 1988 et Who's Who of Jazz in Montreal: Ragtime to 1970, publié en 1989 par Véhicule Press à Montréal. Il a ensuite publié un article «Jazz Research in Canada: Issues and Directions» dans Ethnomusicology in Canada, dirigé par Robert Witmer (Toronto: Institute for Canadian Music, 1990). Swinging in Paradise fut traduit et publié en français sous le tire Une histoire du jazz à Montréal, par Lux Éditeur, Montréal, en 2009. L'édition française inclut des corrections, de nouvelles notes explicatives en bas de page, Une préface de Gilles Archambault (auteur et ancien chroniqueur de jazz à Radio-Canada), et une nouvelle postface par l'auteur.

From 1985 to 1991, John Gilmore fut journaliste à Radio-Canada Intenational, à Montréal, puis est déménagé dans l'ouest canadien où il vécut de 1991 à 2000, plus précisément à Canmore et Calgary, Alberta et ensuite à Vancouver, Colombie-Britannique. Durant cette période, il a travaillé à en tant qu'éditeur au Banff Centre, comme programmeur musical à CBC Radio à Calgary, en tant que rédacteur à la pige et également en tant que pigiste. Il a aussi enseigné l'anglais langue seconde en Angleterre (où il a obtenu un certificat d'enseignement à Cambridge) et au Brésil et, par la suite, à la University of British Columbia et au Vancouver Community College.

En 2000, il revint vivre à Montréal, où il a continué à travailler en tant que rédacteur à la pige et pigiste. Il fut chargé de cours pendant un an à l'Université Concordia et professeur à temps partiel à la division de l'éducation aux adultes de la Commission scolaire de Montréal. Il est devenu citoyen britannique (tout en maintenant sa citoyenneté canadienne) en 2010. Son roman poétique, Head of Man, a été publié par Reality Street (Royaume-Uni) en 2011.

Bell, Joe

  • JB1
  • Personne
  • 1908-1972

Joe Bell naît le 20 décembre 1908 à Chester-le-Street, dans le Comté de Durham en Angleterre, et meurt le 4 décembre 1972 à Montréal. En 1919, il émigre avec sa famille au Canada et s'établit à Toronto. Il se marie en 1934, et lui et son épouse Anne ont une fille prénommée Joan.

Il acquiert sa formation musicale comme membre du Salvation Army Dovercourt Corps Band. Il travaille comme commis dans une banque, mais Joe Bell préfère recourir à ses habiletés de tromboniste pour gagner sa vie. En 1934, il quitte Toronto et le Old Mill où il jouait avec le Leo Romanelli Dance Orchestra, pour se joindre au Kramer Band à Montréal. Il joue alors dans de nombreuses boîtes de nuit telles le Lido, Chez Maurice et le Normandie Roof de l'hôtel Mont-Royal. De 1945 à 1965, Joe Bell est successivement premier et second tromboniste de l'Orchestre symphonique de Montréal. Il enseigne également au département de musique de l'Université McGill, ainsi qu'à la McGill Summer Music School dans les Cantons de l'Est. Il prend sa retraite en 1965.

Brereton, Tina

  • TB1
  • Personne
  • [19--]-

Tina Brereton, née Baines, faisait partie du premier chorus line canadien de danseuses noires à Montréal.

Orion Brownell, Edwin

  • EOB1
  • Personne
  • 30 novembre 1964-

Edwin Orion Brownell est musicien et étufiant en histoire à l'Université Concordia.

Boudreau, Walter

  • WB1
  • Personne
  • 15 octobre 1947

Walter Boudreau naît à Montréal le 15 octobre 1947, au sein d'une famille aimant la musique. Sa mère est pianiste. Son père, qui jouait du saxophone alto dans des orchestres de danse à Sorel, décéda peu de temps avant la naissance de Walter. Entre les âges de 7 et 13 ans, Walter étudie le piano, pour ensuite successivement jouer du saxophone alto et du saxophone ténor. À 18 ans, il dirige son propre quatuor de jazz. En 1968, avec le chansonnier/poète Raoul Duguay, il fonde L'Infonie, un ensemble musical multi-média de Montréal. Boudreau en est le chef d'orchestre et fait de la composition et des arrangements pour le groupe. Boudreau étudie l'analyse musicale avec Bruce Mather à l'Université McGill (1968-1970) puis, entre 1969 et 1973, il étudie l'analyse et la composition avec Gilles Tremblay au Conservatoire de musique de Montréal et avec Serge Garant à l'Université de Montréal. Il effectue également des stages d'études en Europe avec Kagel, Ligeti, Stockhausen et Xenakis ainsi qu'avec Boulez à Cleveland. Compositeur prolifique, Boudreau fait des compositions pour des groupes musicaux de plusieurs genres; il est également l'auteur de bandes sonores de films québécois. En 1973, il mérite le premier prix au Concours national des jeunes compositeurs de la Société Radio-Canada. Il écrit aussi pour diverses formations instrumentales. En 1982, il devient le plus jeune lauréat du prix Jules-Léger pour sa composition Odyssée du Soleil. Il est directeur artistique et chef attitré de la Société de musique contemporaine du Québec. Il est occasionnellement invité à diriger différents orchestres.

Holmes, Johnny

  • JH1
  • Personne
  • 8 juin 1916-11 juin 1989

Johnny (John Joseph Harold) Holmes naît le 8 juin 1916 à Montréal. Il y meurt le 11 juin 1989. Il abandonne ses études à l'École Maisonneuve à l'âge de 10 ans et commence à travailler comme garçon de bureau pour une manufacture de souliers. Très tôt dans sa vie, il commence à jouer du cornet, l'ayant reçu en cadeau de son père. À l'âge de 14 ans, il décline une offre de faire partie du nouvel Orchestre symphonique de Montréal. Il suit un cours d'administration et travaille comme secrétaire pour la compagnie Anchor Cap & Closure jusqu'en 1943. Bien qu'il acquiert sa formation d'arrangeur et d'instrumentaliste musical par lui-même, il étudie pendant quelques temps avec C. Van Camp. Alors qu'il joue avec son père et avec son frère dans un orchestre de 22 musiciens, il rencontre Edgar Braidi, trompette alto à l'OSM, qui lui enseigne l'art de faire des arrangements.

En 1940, il fonde les Esquires, une formation coopérative de 10 musiciens, où il est trompettiste en chef. En 1941, il en prend la tête et le renomme le Johnny Holmes Orchestra, qui jouera au Victoria Hall les samedis soirs. Ce sera le big band le plus populaire à Montréal entre 1941 et 1951. Il découvre des musiciens doués; son orchestre compte parmi ses membres, à diverses périodes, Nick Ayoub, Al Baculis, Maynard et Percy Ferguson, Bix Bélair, Bud Hayward, Art Morrow et Oscar Peterson. Lorraine McAllister, Wally Aspler, Sheila Graham et Mae Séguin sont tour à tour chanteurs pour l'orchestre. Durant les années 1950, à l'occasion de la naissance de sa fille, Johnny Holmes interrompt sa carrière musicale, et travaille comme vendeur. En 1960, il reprend à temps partiel sa carrière de musicien. En 1980, il se consacre à temps plein aux émissions de la CBC-Radio. En tant que chef d'orchestre, il participe à des émissions radiophoniques dont The Johnny Holmes Show et Broadway Holiday.Entre 1966 et 1973, il effectue plusieurs enregistrements pour son compte et pour d'autres musiciens jusqu'à sa retraite en 1978. Au cours de sa carrière, il compose et arrange de nombreuses pièces et oeuvres d'envergure dont The Fair City, une suite de jazz dédiée à Expo 67.

Concordia University. Senate

  • CUS
  • Collectivité
  • 1973-

Senate is the senior academic body of Concordia University. It derives its authority from the Board of Governors. It establishes procedures for the governance of its own affairs, and is the final authority in all matters pertaining to the academic programmes of the University. Its first constitution was approved by the Board of Governors on September 6, 1973, and it sat for the first time on the following October 1st. On that date, Senate adopted the minutes of the last meetings of the Sir George Williams University Council and of the Loyola College Senate. Amendments to the Senate constitution were adopted through the years mainly to keep it up-to-date with administrative reorganization in the University. The Faculty Councils and the Council of the School of Graduate Studies, with their own special powers, report to Senate.

Nixon, Virginia

  • VN1
  • Personne
  • 1939-2015

Virginia Nixon studied English Literature (B.A.) at Carleton University and Art History (M.A., Ph.D) at Concordia University. She was a lecturer in art history and music history in the Concordia University Liberal Arts College. She published numerous articles on the arts and art-related topics in newspapers such as The Montreal Gazette and in magazines such as Montreal Calendar Magazine, The Canadian Forum, Art Magazine and Vie des Arts. Virginia Nixon died in Montreal on December 9, 2015.

Loyola College. Public Relations and Information Office

  • Collectivité
  • 1968 - 1974

The growth of Loyola in the 1950’s created demands for the development of effective internal and external communications for the College community. Publicity and public relations functions were first initiated by the Office of the President with part-time employees and the use of external agencies and consultants. In the fall of 1963, these functions started to be carried out by the newly established Office of Development (Stirling Dorrance, director). With the hiring of full-time public relations officers, an office emerged by the end of the decade, and it served the College’s various information, publicity and public relations needs on a continuing and systematic basis. In May 1968, the Public Relations Office – first called Public Information Office -, under the direction of Nora Cassidy Frood, was separated from the Office of Development and started reporting to the Office of the President.

In June the Events Coordination Centre under the Public Relations Office was created and Les Price was hired as Events Coordinator. The aim of this centre was to centralize the requests for physical facilities and services and provide a central source of organization about Loyola events and activities.

The Public Relations Office maintained regular contact with all media (press, radio, TV) – both local and national – through regular press releases about academic, social and cultural events on campus. It also maintained direct contact with Faculty, Administration, Students and Alumni mainly through internal information bulletins, and with publications like Loyola in Action which ran only a few years (1967-1969) and The Happening, which started as a calendar of events in 1967 and became a bigger publication in 1971 with stories regarding the Loyola Community. It lasted until 1974. The Public Relations Office was involved in the planning of special Loyola events, such as convocations, official openings of buildings, receptions for cultural or social activities on campus. The office was also responsible for the production of publications for internal and external use, such as the internal telephone directory, special events programs and the President’s Report. In September 1970, as a result of an administrative reorganization, the Public Relations Office moved back under the responsibility of the Office of Development Office, and changed its name to Information Services. In 1971, Angela Burke became the new Public Relations Director and the office was then called Public Relations and Information Office, a name it kept until the merger of Loyola College with Sir George Williams University in 1974. It then became the Concordia Public Relations Office at Loyola Campus for the following years.

Sir George Williams University. Office of the Principal

  • Collectivité
  • 1925 - 1974

The Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams University has its origins in the reorganization of the educational program of the Montreal Young Men's Christian Association (Y.M.C.A.) in the 1920s, culminating in the establishment of a separate branch called the Montreal Y.M.C.A. Schools in 1925. The schools thus became a separate unit in the Montreal Metropolitan Y.M.C.A. organization, under the direction of its own Board of Management (which became the Board of Governors in 1937) and its own executive head, the Principal. In 1926, the Montreal Y.M.C.A.Schools became a coeducational institution and changed its name to Sir George Williams College. The Principal was appointed by the Montreal Y.M.C.A. Metropolitan Board on the advice of the Sir George Williams College Board of Management. A. W. Young was the first Principal; his term of office was 1925-1928. In 1948, Sir George Williams College obtained a university charter. That year a special by-law (art. VII, sect. 11) of the Corporation of Sir George Williams College defined the duties of the Principal as follows:

"The Principal of the College, under the direction of the Board of Governors, shall have charge and general control of the work of the College, and shall attend meetings of the Board of Governors and of Committees of the Board. He shall certify all contracts and all bills for payment. He shall define the duties of all employees of the College, who shall report to him as the Executive Officer of the Board in such manner as he may direct."

In 1959, the College requested that the Quebec Legislature amend its charter, changing its name to Sir George Williams University. In 1974, the University merged with Loyola College to create Concordia University. The Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams University thereafter became the Office of the Rector of Concordia University.

The Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams College and later, University, played a significant leadership role in the development of the institution. The Office of the Principal was occupied not only with day-to-day affairs, but also provided vision and guidance for the development of the fledgling institution. Sir George Williams began as a small institution with an unrecognized program, growing dramatically in the period after World War II and again in the 1960s, when there was a dramatic increase in demand for higher education.

The Principals of Sir George Williams College and University were:

Anson W. Young 1925-1928
Frederick O. Stredder 1928-1935
Kenneth E. Norris 1936-1956
Henry F. Hall 1956-1962
Robert C. Rae 1962-1968
Douglass B. Clarke 1968-1969
John W. O'Brien 1969-1974. (O'Brien became Rector of Concordia University in 1974.)
Résultats 91 à 120 sur 2663