Affichage de 157 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Collectivité

Galerie d'art Optica

  • O2
  • Collectivité
  • 1972-

La Galerie d'art Optica a été officiellement fondée en janvier 1972, par William E. Ewing lorsque des pressions d'artistes l'ont convaincu du besoin urgent d'un centre de diffusion de la photographie. Initiallement nommée Galeries photographiques du Centaur, elle logeait au sein même du théâtre, dans le Vieux-Montréal. Son mandat était la diffusion de l'art contemporain.

Après des rénovations en 1974, la galerie changea son nom pour Optica. Après des débuts exclusivement consacrés à la photographie, le centre ne tarda pas à amorcer, avec l'exposition Camerart (Decembre 1974 - Janvier 1975), une ouverture vers les autres disciplines. La galerie se consacra désormais la moitié de ses activités à la photo, et l'autre à d'autres courants d'art.

Pendant la saison 1976-1977, des changements de politiques internes permettent à la galerie d'ouvrir ses portes à l'art conceptuel, aux performances, à la peinture et à la sculpture. En 1977, la galerie ajoute à son nom «un centre au service de l'art contemporain». Durant la même période, sa programmation est aussi modifiée et une section de cinéma expérimental y fait son apparition.

Le centre est dirigé par un Conseil d'administration composé de quinze membres provenant majoritairement du milieu culturel. Ceux-ci sont appelés à participer de façon active, aux projets de la galerie et à s'impliquer auprès des associations dont la galerie fait partie, c'est-à dire le Regroupement des centres d'artistes autogérés du Québec, le Regroupement d'artistes des centres alternatifs et la Société des Musées Québécois.

La Galerie est maintenant subventionnée par les conseils des Arts (du Canada, du Québec et de la Communauté urbaine de Montréal).

Loyola College. Department of Athletics

  • LCDA
  • Collectivité
  • 1934-1975

There is a long tradition of athletics at Loyola. Almost as soon as the College was founded, field days (track and field competitions) were held once a year. In the Loyola College Review of 1915, the Sport pages refer to the Field Day, but also to numerous competitive sports, including Football, Hockey, and Basketball.

In the 1934-35 calendar, the Physical Culture section states that the physical training is by no means overlooked. The mandate of the Loyola College Athletic Association is also stated: The Loyola College Athletic Association was formed to encourage physical exercise and to create and foster a college spirit among the students. All athletics matters were under the supervision of the Athletic Board of Control. Intra-mural leagues were organized and the college was represented in inter-collegiate leagues as well.

In 1965, Edmund Enos was appointed director of the Department of Athletics. Under his direction, Loyola’s Athletic Program was extended and was considered one of the best in the country.

The teams who defended the Loyola colors were called the Warriors for men and the Tommies for women. The Sports Hall of Fame came into existence in 1967 to honour Loyola athletes and builders. Today, the program still exists as the Concordia Sports Hall of Fame. The Department published Programs in the 1960s and 1970s which took different names over the years: Loyola Athletic Programme, Program, Athletic Program, etc.

Loyola College merged with Sir George Williams University in 1974 to create Concordia University. Following the recommendations of a committee to evaluate the Student Services area, the two departments were merged into a single unit in 1975. The director of the Loyola College Department of Athletics, Ed Enos, became director of the newly formed department.

Concordia University. Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies

  • CUMIGS1
  • Collectivité
  • 1986-

MIGS was founded in 1986 by Dr Frank Chalk and Dr Kurt Jonassohn and is based in the departments of History and Sociology/Anthropology at Concordia University. In recent years, Concordia faculty members and graduate students from Communications, English, Geography, and Political Science have joined in its work, as have colleagues from McGill and the University of Quebec in Montreal. MIGS is a research centre of the Faculty of Arts and Science of Concordia University. The Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS) is recognized internationally as Canada’s leading research and advocacy Institute for genocide and mass atrocity crimes prevention, the Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS) conducts in-depth scholarly research and proposes concrete policy recommendations to resolve conflicts before they degenerate into mass atrocity crimes. MIGS has achieved national and international recognition for its national interest approach to the prevention of genocide and mass atrocity crimes from policymakers, academics, leading research institutes, and the media. Today, MIGS is Canada’s leading voice and international partner on Responsibility to Protect issues.

Sir George Williams University. Office of the Principal

  • SGWUOP1
  • Collectivité
  • 1925 - 1974

The Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams University has its origins in the reorganization of the educational program of the Montreal Young Men's Christian Association (Y.M.C.A.) in the 1920s, culminating in the establishment of a separate branch called the Montreal Y.M.C.A. Schools in 1925. The schools thus became a separate unit in the Montreal Metropolitan Y.M.C.A. organization, under the direction of its own Board of Management (which became the Board of Governors in 1937) and its own executive head, the Principal. In 1926, the Montreal Y.M.C.A.Schools became a coeducational institution and changed its name to Sir George Williams College. The Principal was appointed by the Montreal Y.M.C.A. Metropolitan Board on the advice of the Sir George Williams College Board of Management. A. W. Young was the first Principal; his term of office was 1925-1928. In 1948, Sir George Williams College obtained a university charter. That year a special by-law (art. VII, sect. 11) of the Corporation of Sir George Williams College defined the duties of the Principal as follows:

"The Principal of the College, under the direction of the Board of Governors, shall have charge and general control of the work of the College, and shall attend meetings of the Board of Governors and of Committees of the Board. He shall certify all contracts and all bills for payment. He shall define the duties of all employees of the College, who shall report to him as the Executive Officer of the Board in such manner as he may direct."

In 1959, the College requested that the Quebec Legislature amend its charter, changing its name to Sir George Williams University. In 1974, the University merged with Loyola College to create Concordia University. The Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams University thereafter became the Office of the Rector of Concordia University.

The Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams College and later, University, played a significant leadership role in the development of the institution. The Office of the Principal was occupied not only with day-to-day affairs, but also provided vision and guidance for the development of the fledgling institution. Sir George Williams began as a small institution with an unrecognized program, growing dramatically in the period after World War II and again in the 1960s, when there was a dramatic increase in demand for higher education.

The Principals of Sir George Williams College and University were:

Anson W. Young 1925-1928
Frederick O. Stredder 1928-1935
Kenneth E. Norris 1936-1956
Henry F. Hall 1956-1962
Robert C. Rae 1962-1968
Douglass B. Clarke 1968-1969
John W. O'Brien 1969-1974. (O'Brien became Rector of Concordia University in 1974.)

Concordia University. Office of the President and Vice-Chancellor

  • CUOPVC1
  • Collectivité
  • 1974 -

The Office of the President and Vice-Chancellor of Concordia University has its origins in the Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams University (SGWU). On August 10, 1973, with the imminent ratification of the merger between SGWU and Loyola College to create Concordia University, a new SGWU Board of Governors was established composed of equal membership from both institutions. On the same day, among new officers appointed, John W. O’Brien, Principal of SGWU, became Rector and Vice-Chancellor, and Patrick Malone, President of Loyola College, became Vice-Rector and Principal of Loyola campus. However, the new university received its official establishment from Quebec only a year later, in August 1974. During this instable situation, the Office of the Rector of Sir George Williams University (“to be known as Concordia University”) operated as much as possible as though Concordia was legally in existence. The English-language titles of Rector and Vice-Chancellor were changed to President and Vice-Chancellor by the Board of Governors, on June 17, 2004. However, the French-language nomenclature for these positions, Recteur and Vice-Chancellier, remained unchanged. As chief executive officer of the University, the President and Vice-Chancellor is responsible for the execution of the decisions of the Board of Governors and of Senate. Vice-Presidents and Chief Officers are reporting to the President, as well as different administrative bodies.

Concordia University. Department of English

  • CUDE1
  • Collectivité
  • [196-?]-

The Department of English of Concordia University has its origins in the respective departments of English of the University’s two founding institutions: Loyola College and Sir George Williams University (SGWU). A formal Department of English was established at the beginning of the 1960s in the two institutions. The administration and faculty of both departments were joined together in 1977 in the wake of the Loyola College and Sir George Williams University merger in 1974.

Between 1966 and 1972 members of the Sir George Williams University (SGWU) Department of English hosted a series of poetry readings that was conceived as an on-going encounter between local (Montreal) poets and some writers from the United States and the rest of Canada. Sponsored by The Poetry Committee of the SGWU Faculty of Arts and the Department of English, these readings involved more than sixty poets from across North America. The series was the creation of three SGWU professors: Howard Fink and Stanton Hoffman from the Department of English and Roy Kiyooka from the Department of Fine Arts.

Irish Canadian Heritage Society

  • ICHS1
  • Collectivité
  • 1965-

La Irish Canadian Heritage Society a été fondée en février 1965 à Pointe-Claire, au Québec, par Fred G. Sullivan, à l’instar de l'Irish American Heritage Society, créée quelques années auparavant.
Le premier président de l'organisation était Fred G. Sullivan, suivi de Rory O'Sullivan, qui transferait la direction de la société à Baie-D'Urfé, au Québec.
La mission de la Irish Canadian Heritage Society consistait « à favoriser la connaissance d’Irlande et de ses institutions culturelles et à apprécier la contribution irlandaise au mode de vie canadien".
La société organisait régulièrement des réunions ou des conférenciers présentaient divers sujets liés à l'Irlande et aux Irlandais au Québec.

NCCU Hungarian Refugee Student Committee

  • NHRSC1
  • Collectivité
  • 1956-1958

The Hungarian Refugee Student Committee was established in December 1956 by the National Conference of Canadian Universities (NCCU) at the request of the Canadian Department of Citizenship and Immigration. Its mandate was to assess Hungarian refugee students, to facilitate their acquisition of English and French, and to direct them to Canadian universities and colleges. With financial aid from the federal government, the committee established an office in a government immigration hostel at 1162 St. Antoine St., Montreal in January 1957. The director was Matilde Elizabeth (Mrs. Frederick) Smith. Douglass Burns Clarke, vice-principal of Sir George Williams University, succeeded Maurice Beauchamp, o.m.i. of Ottawa University and T. H. Matthews of McGill University, as chair of the committee. (In 1965 the NCCU was renamed the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.)

Quebec Association for Adult Learning

  • QAAL1
  • Collectivité
  • 1981-

Steps toward founding the Quebec Association for Adult Learning (QAAL) took place in the late 1970s at meetings between the Canadian Association of Adult Education and the Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal. The formal creation of QAAL was in June 1981. The association serves Quebec adults who pursue learning projects, primarily in the English language.

The objectives of the QAAL are to provide leadership in lifelong learning and to promote educational opportunities for adults; to disseminate information; to facilitate voluntary cooperation among groups concerned with adult learning; to provide a forum for the exchange of ideas; to identify the educational needs of adults, and to train adult educators.

Concordia University is an institutional member. The Association secretariat is located at Concordia University.

The Link

  • TL1
  • Collectivité
  • 1980-

The Link is a Concordia University student newspaper. It was established in 1980 with the merger of the Loyola News and The Georgian. Loyola College had merged with Sir George Williams University in 1974 to form Concordia University. As the result of a referendum in March 1986, The Link became autonomous from the Concordia University Students' Association (CUSA); students agreed to pay a direct fee to finance the operations of the two existing student newspapers, The Link and Concordian.

Loyola College. Office of the Vice-President, Administration

  • LCOVPA1
  • Collectivité
  • 1968 - 1974

The position of Vice-President, Administration at Loyola was established in 1968, along with the position of Vice-President, Academic. Under the authority of the President, the Vice-President, Administration was responsible for overseeing activities pertaining to financial control, data processing, personnel, purchasing, physical resources and ancillary services, as well as non-academic organization, policy and planning. Albert James Ferrari was appointed Vice-President, Administration after being the first Loyola Comptroller from 1961 to 1968. He stayed in office until the merger of Loyola with Sir George Williams University in 1974 to form Concordia University.

Loyola College. Public Relations and Information Office

  • LCPRIO1
  • Collectivité
  • 1968 - 1974

The growth of Loyola in the 1950’s created demands for the development of effective internal and external communications for the College community. Publicity and public relations functions were first initiated by the Office of the President with part-time employees and the use of external agencies and consultants. In the fall of 1963, these functions started to be carried out by the newly established Office of Development (Stirling Dorrance, director). With the hiring of full-time public relations officers, an office emerged by the end of the decade, and it served the College’s various information, publicity and public relations needs on a continuing and systematic basis. In May 1968, the Public Relations Office – first called Public Information Office -, under the direction of Nora Cassidy Frood, was separated from the Office of Development and started reporting to the Office of the President.

In June the Events Coordination Centre under the Public Relations Office was created and Les Price was hired as Events Coordinator. The aim of this centre was to centralize the requests for physical facilities and services and provide a central source of organization about Loyola events and activities.

The Public Relations Office maintained regular contact with all media (press, radio, TV) – both local and national – through regular press releases about academic, social and cultural events on campus. It also maintained direct contact with Faculty, Administration, Students and Alumni mainly through internal information bulletins, and with publications like Loyola in Action which ran only a few years (1967-1969) and The Happening, which started as a calendar of events in 1967 and became a bigger publication in 1971 with stories regarding the Loyola Community. It lasted until 1974. The Public Relations Office was involved in the planning of special Loyola events, such as convocations, official openings of buildings, receptions for cultural or social activities on campus. The office was also responsible for the production of publications for internal and external use, such as the internal telephone directory, special events programs and the President’s Report. In September 1970, as a result of an administrative reorganization, the Public Relations Office moved back under the responsibility of the Office of Development Office, and changed its name to Information Services. In 1971, Angela Burke became the new Public Relations Director and the office was then called Public Relations and Information Office, a name it kept until the merger of Loyola College with Sir George Williams University in 1974. It then became the Concordia Public Relations Office at Loyola Campus for the following years.

Véhicule Press

  • VP1
  • Collectivité
  • 1973-

Véhicule Press began in 1973 on the premises of Véhicule Art Inc. (Montreal), one of Canada's first artist-run galleries. The large space occupied by both the gallery and the press at 61 St. Catherine St. West was once the Café Montmarte, the renowned jazz club of the 1930s.

Guy Lavoie, Annie Nayer, Marshalore, and Vivian Jemelka-White established Véhicule Press. For printing purposes, they began using equipment inherited from Kenny Hertz's defunct Ingluvin Publications and an ATF Chief 20 printing press originally purchased by artist Tom Dean to print Beaux-Arts magazine. In 1973, Véhicule Press submitted their first Local Initiatives Project (LIP) grant.

In 1975 the press became Coopérative d'Imprimerie Véhicule - Quebec's only cooperatively-owned printing and publishing company. Coopérative d'Imprimerie Véhicule was officially incorporated in 1976. Members of the coop included Guy Lavoie, Simon Dardick, Marshalore, Léo Vanasse, Vivian White, and Willy Wood. Véhicule Press was the publishing imprint of the coop. In the same year, an editorial board was formed to allow the Press to apply for Canada Council grants. The editorial board was composed of poets Andre Farkas, Artie Gold, and Ken Norris. Véhicule Press was accepted into the lock Grant Programme of the Canada Council in 1979. The editorial board was dissolved int eh same year.

In late spring 1977, Véhicule Press moved to 1000 Clark St. in the heart of Chinatown, and in 1980 it moved to an industrial space located on Ontario St. East. In spring 1981, the coop was dissolved and Simon Dardick (who had joined the press in the summer of 1973) and Nancy Marrelli continued Véhicule Press from Roy St. East in the Plateau area of Montreal.

Véhicule Press publishes poetry, fiction, essays, translations, and social history. Simon Dardick and Nancy Marrelli are the publishers and general editors of Véhicule Press; Patrick Goddard is Administrative Assistant; and Maya Assouad is Marketing and Promotions Manager.

Poet Michael Harris was the founding editor of the Véhicule Press Signal Poetry Series, established in 1981. The collaboration has resulted in over 50 books by 35 authors. Additionally, Michael Harris was the editor of The Signal Anthology: Contemporary Canadian Poetry (Signal, 1993). Poet, critic, and essayist Carmine Starnino became the editor of Signal Editions in January 200. 123 titles have been published in the Signal Poetry Series since 1981.Carmine Starnino is the editor of The New Canon: An Anthology of Canadian Poetry (Signal, 2005).

Author Andrew Steinmetz is the founding editor of Véhicule's fiction imprint, Esplanade Books, established in 2003. Steinmetz was succeeded by author Dimitri Nasrallah, who has worked as the editor of the series since 2013.

Author Brian Busby is the editor of Ricochet Books, a series consisting of vintage noir mysteries, many of them set in Montreal.

Author Derek Webster became a Senior Editor of the press in 2018.

Covers for Signal and Esplanade Books are designed by David Drummond of Salamander Hill Design. John W. Stewart began designing covers for the press in the 1970s. At present, Stewart designs the Véhicule catalogue cover and occasional non-fiction.

Loyola College. Dramatic Society

  • LCDS1
  • Collectivité
  • 1926-1972

The Loyola College Dramatic Society was formed in 1926. It became known as Loyola Drama, and presented numerous productions over the years. In 1970 there were management difficulties, and Loyola Drama joined with Loyola Music, adopting the name Loyola Musical Theatre Society. After a difficult year 1971-1972, the Loyola Musical Theatre Society was dismantled in the summer of 1972. Other college dramatic companies followed.

Concordia University. Pensioners' Association

  • CUPA1
  • Collectivité
  • 1987

The first trace of the Concordia University Pensioners' Association (CUPA) is a letter sent in August 1987 to retired Concordia employees informing them that efforts were being made to form a Concordia pensioners' association. The first meeting of what was to become the association took place on November 17, 1987. The draft constitution was accepted unanimously at a meeting on May 4, 1988. The objectives of the association are to promote the welfare of all persons drawing a pension from Concordia University; to ensure that their needs and concerns are brought to the attention of the University through such bodies as the benefits committee of the board of governors; to ensure that members are kept informed about University decisions which affect them, as well as the general evolution of the University; to provide a channel whereby the expertise of members may be made available to the University for consulting or volunteer work, and to provide a milieu for social contact among the members.

Thomas More Institute

  • TMI1
  • Collectivité
  • 1946-

Montreal's Thomas More Institute was founded in 1946, with 90 students enrolled in six courses. Its aim is to provide opportunities for lifelong learning and liberal education for adults. More than 350 of its students have earned the degree of Bachelor of Arts: 271 from 1948 to 1974 within the context of an association with the Université de Montréal, and 95 since 1975 by virtue of an affiliation with Bishop's University.

Eric O'Connor, S.J., a teacher at Concordia University founding institution Loyola College from 1934-1936 and 1942-1980, was one of the founders of the Thomas More Institute.

The Institute is named after Thomas More (1478-1535), one of the great humanist scholars of the Renaissance. He contributed significantly to that critical shift from the medieval to the modern world by articulating and promoting, for men and women alike, a new concept of education based upon the priority of open inquiry and critical thought. In his view, learning occurs as individuals relate the formulations of the past to questions that point toward the future. The Thomas More Institute reflects this philosophy of education with a strong emphasis on lifelong adult learning.

Source: Thomas More Institute Web site (www.thomasmore.qc.ca)

Loyola College. Loyola Students' Association

  • LSA1
  • Collectivité
  • 1967-1979

The first association of students at Loyola College was the Committee of Student Representatives, formed in 1943. It changed its name to the Student Administrative Council (SAC) in 1960. The Loyola of Montreal Students' Association (LMSA) seems to have been a new form of the SAC, dating from ca. 1967. In 1972, the LMSA changed its name to Loyola Students' Association (LSA).

Loyola College merged with Sir George Willliams University in 1974 to form Concordia University. The Loyola Students' Association continued operation until the creation of the Concordia University Students' Association, which took over the activities of all the day- and evening-student associations of Sir George and Loyola in 1979.

YMCA of Montreal

  • YMCA1
  • Collectivité
  • 1851-

The first YMCA-the Young Men's Christian Association-was founded in London, England in 1844 by George Williams, age 23. It was a religious (Evangelical Protestant) movement for young men who had left their families and migrated from outlying areas to jobs in London. Its goal was their character development. It provided fellowship and opportunities for constructive use of leisure time.

At the world's fair that took place in London in 1851, YMCA pamphlets were distributed to visitors from all over the world, including a number of Montrealers who judged that it would fulfill a need in their city.

An inaugural meeting of the Montreal YMCA took place at St. Helen Street Baptist Church in November 1851. The Montreal YMCA can claim to be the first in North America, although YMCAs started up in Boston, New York, Toronto, and other North American cities about the same time.

The North American YMCAs formed a confederation in 1854. The World Alliance of YMCAs was formed in 1855.

In 1853, the Montreal YMCA hired its first paid employee, Samuel Massey. He worked as a missionary to young men in Montreal. As an adjunct to its religious mission, in the 1850s the Montreal YMCA created a social centre in rented quarters where young men could gather. It included a library and reading room. The Y began offering lectures, an employment service, and charitable relief to the indigent.

The first Montreal YMCA building was erected in 1873 on Victoria Square.

That year, the first evening educational courses were held, in French and shorthand. Services were added for younger boys and immigrants. Sports were added in the late 1880s. War work-services to military personnel-was first undertaken during the Boer War. Foreign service-outreach to other countries-became important early in the twentieth century.

Expansion was rapid, and in 1892 the Montreal YMCA created new quarters on Dominion Square, where the Sun Life building now stands. In the Dominion Square Y building there were meeting rooms, a reading room and a library, club and class rooms, an auditorium, a gymnasium, locker and shower rooms, a swimming pool, a bowling alley, and a dining room.

In 1894, a boys' summer camp was opened in the Laurentians north of Montreal. Outdoor programs have been part of the Association's programming ever since.

In 1912, the Central/Downtown Branch of the Montreal Association moved to new quarters on Drummond Street. That year, the Association opened the Westmount Branch and the North Branch (now YMCA du Parc). Other branches and various satellite units have existed at various times throughout the Metropolitan Montreal region.

In 1931 the Downtown Branch was remodeled and a 500-room residential annex was added to provide low-cost accommodation and meals for men. The residence would later serve as accommodation for refugees. (In 2001 as part of a major renovation of the YMCA Centre-ville, the downtown residence was demolished. The Y opened refugee accommodation in the former Reddy Memorial Hospital on Tupper Street.)

The Montreal YMCA has offered many programs, including physical and aquatics programs and social programs. The educational programs grew to become one of Concordia University founding institutions, Sir George Williams College/University. In the 1970s a shift in government policy in Quebec meant increased emphasis on community recreational programs, and the YMCA provided input and management services for these programs. Community development programs, including immigrant, crime prevention, and offender rehabilitation programs, were added.

At the beginning of the twenty-first century, the Metropolitan Montreal Association included the YMCA Centre-ville, the du Parc YMCA, the Guy-Favreau YMCA, the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve YMCA, the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce YMCA, the Pointe Saint-Charles YMCA, the Saint-Laurent YMCA, the West Island YMCA, the Westmount YMCA, Kamp Kanawana, the YMCA residence for refugee claimants, and the YMCA International Language school and the YMCA Foundation and Metropolitan services offices which were located in the same building as the YMCA Centre-ville.

Véhicule Art Research Group

  • VARG1
  • Collectivité
  • 1991-199-?

L'objectif du Véhicule Art Research Group, créé en 1991, est de documenter et d'analyser l'avant-garde artistique à Montréal durant les années 1970, par l'examen et l'interprétation des activités d'une corporation d'artistes, soit Véhicule Art (Montréal) Inc. durant la période de 1972 à 1983. En plus d'être un centre de ressources et d'éducation, Véhicule Art (Montréal) Inc. a été la première et la plus importante galerie d'art alternatif pour l'art expérimental à Montréal.

Le projet Investigation of the Activities of Véhicule Art (Montréal) Inc., 1972-1983 a commencé par l'analyse et l'évaluation du fonds Véhicule Art (Montréal) Inc.(P027) conservé au Service des archives de l'Université Concordia. Cette étape a été suivie par l'identification et la collecte de documentation. Afin de recueillir aussi l'information qui ne se présente pas sous forme impriméee, des entrevues d'histoire orale ont été faites avec des artistes qui ont exposé ou performé à la galerie.

Durant les prochaines années, toute la documentation sera interprétée selon doiverses méthodologies d'art historique. Les résultats des recherches seront disséminés grâce à des publications, des expositions, des séminaires et des cours au niveau du baccalauréat ou de la maîtrise.

Le Véhicule Art Research Group se compose de Sandra Paikowsky (professeure associée à l'Université Concordia), Brian Foss (professeur associé à l'Université Concordia) et Nancy Marrelli (directrice du Service des archives de l'Université Concordia).

Concordia University. Art History Graduate Students Association

  • CUAHGSA1
  • Collectivité
  • 1991-2000

The Art History Graduate Students Association is the body that represents graduate students in Art History in the Concordia University Faculty of Fine Arts. It is student-run and aims to facilitate the formation of students in the Art History Graduate program by events, funding, and support.

Sir George Williams University

  • SGWU1
  • Collectivité
  • 1926-1974

The history of Sir George Williams University began with the establishment of the Young Men's Christian Association in Montreal in 1851. Part of the Y.M.C.A.'s mandate was to meet the needs of its members and to serve the Montreal community, so when members of the community, working individuals and local business leaders voiced the need for education "obtained from no text book...(but) from original sources," the Montreal Y.M.C.A. stepped in, and in 1873, the association inaugurated evening courses in vocational and general education. This system was known as the Educational Program and later, the Montreal Y.M.C.A. Schools.

In 1926, the Montreal Y.M.C.A. Schools changed its name to Sir George Williams College in honor of the founder of the Y.M.C.A. (London, England, 1844).

The College was intended to expand formal education opportunities for both young men and women employed in Montreal. Student guidance counselling and student-faculty interaction were particularly encouraged within the tightly-knit college community. The Depression and the economic boom in the '30s both led to steady enrolment increases. The College grew from a two-year program in the 1920s to a four-year program in 1934.

In 1948, Sir George Williams College officially obtained its university charter although it had been granting degrees since 1936/37. The recognition and financial assistance that came out of this led to further expansion. In 1959, the College requested that the Provincial Legislature amend its University Charter, changing its name to Sir George Williams University.

The university operated in various "annexes" throughout the neighbourhood but rapid expansion of the University led to the construction of a new building to accommodate all of its activities. In 1956, Sir George Williams University moved into the newly-constructed Norris Building. Even as the new building was opened, it was evident it would not be large enough and increasingly heavy enrollment forced the university into more annexes. Planning began for the construction of a new and larger building, and in 1966, the Henry F. Hall Building was opened on de Maisonneuve Boulevard.

Meanwhile in 1963 a Faculty structure was implemented when the combined Faculty of Arts, Science, and Commerce separated into three distinct faculties and the new Faculty of Engineering was created. Increased enrollment and larger government grants allowed the College to hire more full-time faculty members. Many disciplines began to offer more specializations, and Masters and Doctoral programs were added to the growing list of Majors and Honours.

It was the first Canadian university that offered a full range of university programs to evening students. In the late-1960s, Sir George Williams University severed ties, financial and otherwise, with the Y.M.C.A.

At the time of the merger with Loyola College, Sir George Williams University offered undergraduate and graduate programs to a diverse community.

In August 1974, Sir George Williams University merged with Loyola College to form Concordia University.

Concordia University. Board of Governors

  • CUBOG
  • Collectivité
  • 1973-

The Board of Governors is the senior governing body of Concordia University and is responsible for establishing the legal and administrative framework of the university. In 1973, the initial composition of the Board of Governors was the product of the revision and amendment of the Sir George Williams University (SGWU) charter to include representatives of both SGWU and Loyola College in the context of their merger for creating a new university. On August 10th 1973, the Corporation of SGWU adopted Special By-Law “C” which enacted a change of name to CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY– UNIVERSITÉ CONCORDIA. By-Law “D” was also adopted, which established the governing and administrative structure of the new university. The meeting was adjourned. A new meeting was convened the same day at which corporation and board members resigned and elections were held for new members of the Corporation and of the Board of Governors, in conformity with the revised new structure. During the election which followed, Dr. John W. O’Brien was appointed Rector and Vice-Chancellor and Father Patrick G. Malone was appointed Vice-Rector and Principal of Loyola Campus. At its next meeting, on September 6th 1973, the Board of Governors approved the membership of six associated committees and the constitution of the University Senate. The new university received its legal and official establishment from the Quebec Government only a year later, in August 1974. Meanwhile, the meeting minutes of the Board of Governors and its associated committees were, most of the time, identified as those of “SGWU (to be known as Concordia University)”.

Concordia University. Senate

  • CUS
  • Collectivité
  • 1973-

Senate is the senior academic body of Concordia University. It derives its authority from the Board of Governors. It establishes procedures for the governance of its own affairs, and is the final authority in all matters pertaining to the academic programmes of the University. Its first constitution was approved by the Board of Governors on September 6, 1973, and it sat for the first time on the following October 1st. On that date, Senate adopted the minutes of the last meetings of the Sir George Williams University Council and of the Loyola College Senate. Amendments to the Senate constitution were adopted through the years mainly to keep it up-to-date with administrative reorganization in the University. The Faculty Councils and the Council of the School of Graduate Studies, with their own special powers, report to Senate.

Concordia University. Office of the Vice-Rector Academic, Arts and Science

  • CUOVRAAS1
  • Collectivité
  • May 1977-April 30, 1985

With the formation of the Concordia Faculty of Arts and Science in March 1977, an additional Vice-Rector, Academic position was created for Arts and Science that existed for almost a decade, from 1977 to 1985. Russell Breen, former Dean of the Loyola Faculty of Arts and Science, was appointed Vice-Rector Academic, Arts and Science in May 1977, a position he held until his retirement in April 1985. In fall 1980, after the closing of the Office of the Vice-Rector and Principal of Loyola campus, Russell Breen’s office was moved from downtown as the new office of senior representative of the Concordia administration at Loyola campus.

Concordia University. Office of the Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies

  • CUOVPRGS1
  • Collectivité
  • 2006-

Reporting directly to the President, the Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies works closely with the Provost and Vice-President, Academic Affairs in furthering the academic mission of the University. While the Provost and V-P, Academic Affairs serves as chief academic officer and manages the overall academic enterprise, the V-P Research and Graduate Studies concentrates on developing research, graduate studies, and international activities at Concordia. The position of Vice-President Research and Graduate Studies was established in December 2005 by the Board of Governors, when the Concordia research profile had grown steadily.

Concordia University. Office of the Dean of the School of Extended Learning

  • CUODSEL1
  • Collectivité
  • 2006 - 2015

The School of Extended Learning provided a wide range of programs and services which were aimed at increasing student accessibility to the University. Its programs and services were accessed through the School’s Centre for Continuing Education and Student Transition Centre (formerly the Centre for Mature Students). The Board of Governors approved the establishment of a School of General Studies on May 18, 2006. Upon recommendation the Dean of the School, Noel Burke, it was renamed School of Extended Learning in October 2007. On May 20, 2015, the Board of Governors approved the discontinuance of the School of Extended Learning (SEL) as an academic unit, effective June 1, 2015, and that any remaining activities be continued under the Centre for Continuing Education.

Concordia University. Council of the Faculty of Fine Arts

  • CUCFFA1
  • Collectivité
  • 1975 -

The Council is responsible for the governance of the academic affairs of the Faculty of Fine Arts and for making recommendations concerning academic matters to Senate.
On June 14, 1974, the Board of Governors authorized the establishment of a Faculty of Fine Arts. The new faculty being in its early states of development, an Interim Council of the Faculty of Fine Arts was established by Senate on February 21, 1975 and was subsequently approved by the Board of Governors. The Interim Council was asked to study its composition and make recommendations to Senate which was done on January 28, 1977. Senate recommended a permanent composition of the Council on January 28, 1977, subsequently approved by the Board of Governors. It had its first meeting on March 4, 1977.

Concordia University. Department of Leisure Studies

  • CUDLS1
  • Collectivité
  • 1981-1997

The Leisure Studies program (called Recreation and Leisure Studies until 1985) was established in 1974 as part of Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies. It became a department (Loyola campus) at the beginning of the 1980s. The program drew from the departments of Applied Social Science, Exercise Science, Psychology, Sociology and the Faculties of Commerce and Administration, and Fine Arts. In November 1997, the Leisure Studies program was amalgamated with the Department of Applied Social Science to establish the Department of Applied Human Sciences.

Résultats 1 à 30 sur 157