Donald L. Boisvert was an Affiliate Professor in the Department of Religions and Cultures.
In 1975 Boisvert was awarded a Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies followed by a Masters in History and Philosophy of Religion, both from Concordia University. In 1978 he began PhD studies at McMaster University which he completed at the University of Ottawa in 1990.
Boisvert worked for two years as Communications Assistant in the Office of the Leader Opposition of the Canadian House of Commons before returning to Concordia University in September 1979 to work on program development in the Dean of Students Office. The following year he replaced Don Taddeo as Administrative Assistant to Russel Breen (Academic Vice-Rector), a position he held until moving to the Office of the Rector in 1985 to work as an Executive Assistant until 1990.
From 1991-1996, Boisvert was the Associate Vice-Rector, Student Life and from 1996-2003 he was the Dean of Students. In 2008 he succeeded John O’Brien as Speaker of the Senate until 2013. In 2003 Boisvert returned to full-time teaching and research as a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Religion where he received tenure in 2011. He served as Chair of the Department of Religion from 2014 to 2015 and retired from Concordia University in 2016.
Boisvert passed away on June 19, 2019. He published two books, including Sanctity and Male Desire: A Gay Reading of Saints in 2004. In 2005 Boisvert was a Lambda Literary Awards finalist in the Spirituality/Religion category. Throughout his academic career he presented his papers at several Canadian, American and European conferences. An openly gay man, Boisvert’s extensive research explored the intersection of religion, gender and sexuality.
- In 1972 Boisvert was the editor of the Loyola Happening.
- During his studies at Loyola College, Boisvert was Vice-President, External, of the Loyola Student Association (LSA) from 1972-1973 and served as Co-President of the LSA with Marc Tigh from 1973-1974.
- In 1975 Boisvert was awarded the Loyola Campus Medal as Graduating Class Valedictorian.
- In 2002 he endowed the Donald L. Boisvert Scholarship for Gay and Lesbian Studies.
- He gave the keynote address at Sexy Religion: The Allure of the Transcendent, an interdisciplinary conference held at Concordia University in February 2006.
- Boisvert received the Concordia University Alumni Association 2010 Alumni Award for Excellence in Teaching at the May 17, 2010 Alumni Recognition Awards Banquet.
- In September 2013 Boisvert was ordained Priest in the Anglican Church of Canada by the Anglican Bishop of Montreal.