Frederick Krantz joined Sir George Williams University in 1969 as assistant professor of history. He was appointed associate professor of history in 1973.
Frederick Krantz joined Sir George Williams University in 1969 as assistant professor of history. He was appointed associate professor of history in 1973.
James J. McGarry was born in Renfrew, Ontario, in November 1899. Son of a lawyer who later became treasurer of the province of Ontario, he attended Loyola High School and Concordia University founding institution Loyola College. A fine athlete, he played on the college football and hockey teams. After completing his education, he entered the Jesuit Order. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1933. Returning to St. Paul's College in 1936, he taught history of philosophy and ethics and served as prefect of studies from 1938 to 1941. He taught at Loyola High School for a year, and then as chaplain was commissioned a Flight Lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Air Force for the duration of World War II. After the war he returned to St. Paul's College. In 1959 he was assigned to teach philosophy at Saint Mary's University, Halifax. He retired from teaching in 1967. In his last years he continued to show a keen interest in politics and sports. He died at the Jesuit infirmary in Pickering, Ontario, in April 1987.
Katherine Tweedie is an associate professor in the Photography Program, Department of Studio Arts, Faculty of Fine Arts of Concordia University. She served as chair of the Department of Photography and Printmaking from 1987 to 1989. She was Associate Dean of Students affairs (1989-1992) and Associate Dean of Curriculum and Graduate Programs in the Faculty of Fine Arts (1993-1996). She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from McGill University and a Master of Fine Arts degree from the State University of New York. She is the author of numerous articles and reviews and has contributed to books. Her video productions include "Fishing with My Brothers" (1998-2001), "I Lease Wombs, I Don't Sell Babies" (1993), and "Just Evergon" (1988). She has given conferences and guest lectures at numerous galleries and art schools, including The Banff Centre, the National Gallery of Canada, and The Society for Photographic Education in California.
Gail Gutrie Valaskakis joined Loyola College in 1967 as a lecturer in the Department of Communication Arts. In 1969, she was appointed assistant professor, Communication Arts. Loyola College merged with Sir George Williams University to form Concordia University in 1974. In 1980, Gail Valaskakis was promoted to Associate Professor of Communication Studies in Concordia University, and in 1989 to the rank of full Professor. In 1992 she was named dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science. Outside the University. Dr. Valaskakis retired from Concordia University in 1998.
Robert H. Pallen was born in 1930. He was married to Anne, and they had children. He died in Montreal in 2003. Pallen graduated in Chemistry from Sir George Williams University in 1952. He pursured graduate studies and earned a Ph.D. from the University of Western Ontario.
He joined Loyola of Montreal as an Assistant Professor of Chemistry. After Loyola College merged with Sir George Williams University to form Concordia University in 1974, he was Associate Professor of chemistry at Concordia University from 1975 to 1989 and then Associate Professor, chemistry and biochemistry, from 1990 to his retirement in 1996.
He held many administrative positions. He was secretary of the Loyola Science Faculty Council 1972-1973. From 1973-1979 he was Assistant Dean, Faculty of Arts and Science (Loyola). From 1977-1985 he was Associate Dean of Division III, Faculty of Arts and Science. From 1985 to 1996 he was Associate Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
Following retirement he pursued his interest in music, registering as a student in the Faculty of Fine Arts. He was active in the Concordia University Pensioners' Association.
In 1983 he institute the annual Expo-Science, a collaboration between Concordia University and the Pointe Claire Cultural Centre, Stewart Hall.
William Archibald (Bill) Stewart, OBE (1914-2004) was born in Rivière-du-Loup, Quebec, February 28, 1914. He died in St. Lambert, Quebec, December 3, 2004. His father, Charles A. Stewart (d. 1960), a descendant of Scots who settled in Prince Edward Island in 1770, worked for the Temiscouata Railway Co.; he became president of the railway in 1940. His mother was A. Laura Walsh Stewart (d. 1982, age 94). Bill was the second eldest child, with five brothers and two sisters: E. Vaughan, Charles (m. Rolande Viel), Ruth (m. D. Ernie Burritt of Canadian Press), Anne T. (m. Bertrand Potvin), James Robert (d. 1995), Alan (m. Denise ?), and R. Lloyd (d. 1987). In 1946 Bill Stewart married Katherine Elizabeth (Kay) Young (b. Winnipeg, 1920, d. 2013). Kay and Bill Stewart had five children: Dugald (m. Ginette, children: Jonathan, Carine), Landon, Susan, John (had Charles-Antoine with Murielle Allain), and Janet (m. Marcelo ? , daughter Arlen).
Bill went to school in French at the Christian Brothers' Collège St-Patrice near Rivière-du-Loup. He began undergraduate studies at the University of Ottawa, but had to return home because the Depression diminished family resources. He ran the family farm and studied art by correspondence in 1932-1933. He continued to be active in visual art for a number of years thereafter, creating portraits, caricatures, and cartoons. Some are signed JF, a pseudonym he adopted when his artwork appeared in newspapers.
In 1933 he contributed articles to Canadian Press as a correspondent in Rivière-du-Loup. In 1934 he became a CP staff member in the Halifax bureau. He was to work in various positions with CP until retirement in 1979. In 1935-1936 he worked successively in Charlottetown , P.E.I. and Sydney, N.S., and St. John, N.B. In 1936 he was transferred to Montreal, then to CP's Toronto bureau. In 1937-1939 he was a correspondent in Quebec City. He served on the Montreal bureau editorial staff in 1940.
In 1941 CP stationed him in London to report on Canadian military personnel training there for the 1942 invasion of Dieppe. After a few weeks in North Africa in 1943, he covered Canadian action in the 1943 Sicily and Italian campaigns. In January 1944 he reported on action in northwest Europe. His eyewitness account of the Normandy D-Day invasion was among the first to reach the outside world.
In 1944, Stewart was the first Canadian correspondent accredited to the Southeast Asia Command; he was based in the Philippines where a Canadian force of army, air force and navy personnel was preparing to take part in an invasion of Japan, a plan that was abandoned when two atomic bombs were used against Japan in August 1945. Following the surrender of Japan, Stewart interviewed Canadians who had been taken prisoner by the Japanese in Hong Kong in 1941. Some of his dispatches from the Pacific war were signed with the pseudonym George Hawkes. In 1946-1947 he was CP's Far East correspondent, based in Australia.
In 1947 he became Quebec City bureau chief (1948-1952). He was a member of the Quebec Parliamentary Press Gallery. In 1952-1974 he was Montreal bureau chief. In 1951 he was instrumental in establishing CP's French service La Presse Canadienne, which he headed at its inception. (He was also involved in CP's radio service, Broadcast News, which offered service in English and French starting in 1945.) In 1954, he accompanied Canadian Prime Minister Louis St-Laurent on a world tour. He presided over coverage of Quebec's Quiet Revolution and the FLQ October Crisis of 1970.
He helped his friend Roger Lemelin developed scripts for the English-language version of La Famille Plouffe/The Plouffe Family, a popular series shown on the CBC 1954-1959.
From 1975 to 1979 he was a CP general executive, based in Montreal.
After retirement he continued writing, often on Quebec subjects, until the year he died, when he filed a story on the 60th anniversary of D-Day. He also did freelance translation. He was a member of the Canadian War Correspondents Association and served on its board of directors until his death.
Throughout his life he maintained an active correspondence with family members, friends, and colleagues, retaining a copy of many of the letters he sent.
In 1948 he was named an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in recognition of his wartime reporting. He was inducted into the Canadian News Hall of Fame in 1986. He was listed in Canadian Who's Who.
Paul Babarik was born on June 30, 1929 in Oshawa and died in Montreal on December 27, 2019. He studied psychology at the University of Toronto and at the University of Chicago, from which he earned his PhD. He worked in behavioural psychology in Washington before returning to Canada due to opposition to the Vietnam War. He joined Loyola College in 1970 as an associate professor of psychology, a position he held until his retirement in 1992. Between 1975 and 1978 he studied the Canadian roots of community psychology and the Canadian psychologist William Line (1897-1964).
Douglass Burns Clarke was born in Montreal on October 13, 1907. He married Dorothy Adams and had two children, Barbara and Frederick. D.B. Clarke died in 1979. He graduated from Sir George Williams College as a member of the Guinea Pig Graduating Class of 1937, so-called because it was the first graduating class the College produced. In 1932, he joined the teaching staff of the College as a lecturer, and he accepted a full-time position in English and Fine Arts after his graduation. He loved theatre and from 1932 to 1941 he was a director of the Playmakers Workshop of Sir George Williams College. He founded the Georgiantics musical revue. In 1942 he became the production manager for the Lakeshore Summer Theatre and was involved with the Montreal Repertory Theatre, among others. He was appointed acting registrar of Sir George Williams in 1943, and in 1946 he was appointed registrar. In 1956 he was appointed vice-principal and stayed on as registrar until 1962. From 1967 to 1968 he was vice-principal academic. In 1968 he was appointed acting principal and vice-chancellor. He retired in 1969. He wrote a history of Sir George Williams in the period following that covered by Henry F. Hall in The Georgian Spirit: The Story of Sir George Williams University. Douglass Clarke's work, published in 1976 was entitled Decades of Decisions: Sir George Williams University, 1952-53 to 1972-73. He influenced the university to welcome the arts and increased its importance in the cultural life of Montreal. The D.B. Clarke Theatre in the Hall Building is named in his memory.
Jean Noël est né à Montréal. Il est l'un des artistes de l'événement Corridart dans la rue Sherbrooke en 1976.
L'artiste Kina Reusch est née le 13 décembre 1940 a Montréal, et elle est décédée en 1988, à l'âge de 47 ans. Plutôt autodidacte, elle a quand même étudié à l'école d'art du Musée des Beaux-arts de Montréal, au Central Technical School de Toronto et au Ontario College of Art. Ses parents étaient artistes et même si elle avait des intérêts pour l'art étant enfant, ce n'est qu'à l'âge de 31 ans, en 1972, qu'elle est devenue artiste à temps plein. Elle a eu de nombreuses expositions, a gagné des prix et obtenu des subventions du Conseil des arts du Canada et du ministère des Affaires culturelles du Québec. Elle a tenu des ateliers d'été à Beauce-Arts. En 1976, elle a réalisé l'installation Torii pour l'exposition Corridart commandité par le programme des arts et de la culture des Jeux olympiques de Montréal. Elle fut par la suite très impliquée dans les procédures légales connues sous le nom de l'Affaire Corridart. En 1977, elle est devenue la directrice de la galerie Powerhouse (plus tard La Centrale), une galerie auto-gérée par des femmes artistes. Kina Reusch était surtout reconnue pour ses tissages abstraits. Ses peintures, ses tapisseries et ses sculptures se retrouvent dans différentes collections privées et corporatives, incluant la Banque d'œuvres d'art du Conseil des arts du Canada et la Collection prêt d'œuvres d'art du Musée du Québec.
Aislin est le pseudonyme utilisé par Terry Mosher, caricaturiste à la Montreal Gazette. Il est né à Ottawa en 1942 et il a étudié à Montréal, Toronto et Québec. Gradué de École des Beaux-Arts de Montréal, il a d'abord au Montreal Star, puis à la Gazette.
Son travail a été distribué partout au Canada et il a travaillé à la pige pour plusieurs publications telles que le New York Times, le Time magazine, le Punch et le Harper's. Il a publié environ 30 livres, certains étant des recueils de ses oeuvres, d'autres des ouvrages qu'il a illustré. Il a remporté deux National Newspaper Awards et plusieurs prix du Salon international de la caricature. En 1985, il est devenu le plus jeune membre du Canadian News Hall of Fame. En 1997-1998, le Musée McCord a tenu une exposition de ses meilleures caricatures ainsi que celles de Serge Chapleau, caricaturiste à La Presse.
Gail Bourgeois est une artiste, une commissaire indépendante et une écrivaine. Elle a obtenu une baccalauréat en beaux-arts de l'Université Concordia en 1984 et une maîtrise en beaux-arts en 1991. Elle a entrepris plusieurs projets de commissariat depuis 1996, tenu ses propres expositions depuis 1985, collaboré à d'autres expositions et d'autres projets, participé à des séminaires et d'autres activités professionnelles et été membre des conseils d'administration de plusieurs galeries d'art et des centres de ressources gérés par des femmes artistes, tels que Powerhouse Gallery/La Centrale.
Gail Bourgeois a été commissaire de l'exposition Powerhouse: Qui sommes-nous aujourd'hui. Tenue en 2001, l'exposition contenait des autoportraits de 14 membres fondateurs de la galerie. Cette dernière détient toujours le record de longévité au Canada pour une galerie gérée par des femmes. L'exposition a été tenue à la McLure Gallery à Westmount, au Québec.
Henry F. Hall was the fourth principal of Sir George Williams University (1957-1962), dean (1936-1956) and student counsellor, and full-time faculty member in the Natural Sciences Division (1934-1967). Over the course of Hall’s forty-year career he helped direct the transition of Sir George Williams College into a credited university, developed the guidance program, and encouraged curriculum development, increased course offerings, and student and faculty growth. Hall’s approach to teaching and administration was influenced by the ethos of the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) and the social impact of World War I and II, and his leadership shaped by his relationships with co-administrators and former principals Kenneth E. Norris and Douglass B. Clarke. He is also the author of “The Georgian Spirit: The Story of Sir George Williams University,” published in 1966. Hall died September 4, 1971 at his home in Montreal, Quebec.
Hall was born June 18, 1897 in Farnham, Brome County, in the Quebec Eastern Townships to Frederick Rupert Hall and Guelielma (Ella) Foss both of Cowansville, Quebec. He attended secondary school at Cowansville Academy. In 1916, Hall enlisted in the Canadian army and served overseas from 1916 to 1918 with the 42nd Battalion, Royal Highlanders of Canada. Before the end of World War I he began working with the recreational facilities for servicemen program sponsored by the YMCA in 1918 at the Bramshott Demobilization Centre, a Canadian military training base in Hampshire, England. Due to his involvement with the YMCA overseas, upon his return to Quebec in the summer of 1919, Hall was offered the position Boys’ Work Secretary in the Sherbrooke Association of the YMCA in Sherbrooke, Quebec.
In 1920, Hall moved to Montreal, Quebec where he enrolled at the Montreal Diocesan Theological College (an affiliate college of McGill University) and was granted his Licentiate of Religious Education in 1924. With this training, Hall was appointed Boys’ Work Secretary for the Central Branch of the Montreal YMCA that same year. 1924 was also marked by Hall’s marriage to his fiancée, Anna Eliza Thompson, in October. The couples’ eldest son, Radway, was born in 1925, followed by Frederick and John by 1929.
Thanks to his experience and training with the YMCA in 1926 Hall was appointed Student Counsellor at Sir George Williams College (formerly called the Montreal YMCA Schools) located in downtown Montreal. Hall’s new position was the first of its kind in Canada. In 1934, Hall joined the College faculty as a Professor in the Natural Sciences Division. Alongside his guidance duties, he began teaching Natural Science 101 (General Course in the Natural Sciences), Biology 102 (Genetics and Human Welfare), Psychology 103 (Educational and Vocational Guidance), Religious Education 101 (Principles of Religious Education) and Religious Education 102 (Curriculum and Practice in Religious Education). True to the Colleges’ the principles of accessible and continuing education for adults, these courses were offered in the evening and during the day. Hall’s own education remained a priority throughout the 1920s and 1930s. He completed summer courses in 1927 at the Graduate School of Education at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts and additional courses at Eastern University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In 1935, Hall was promoted to dean. This position expanded Hall’s guidance functions and would define his career as he would continue to be affectionately known as ‘Dean Hall,’ or simply ‘Dean,’ even after he stepped down and began his tenure as principal in 1957. In the 1940s and 1950s, Hall’s teaching responsibilities grew to include the courses Education 104 (Curriculum and Practice in Religious Education), Education 103 (Principles of Religious Education), Sociology 108b (Administration of the YMCA and similar agencies), Sociology 108 (Applied Sociology), and Sociology 108c (History, Philosophy and Organization of the YMCA, later titled Applied Sociology 211).
In addition to his work at Sir George Williams, Hall sat on the committee of the YMCA of Montreal, the executive committee of the National Council of YMCAs of Canada, and the International Committee of YMCAs. He served terms as president of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, University Counselling and Placement Services, and the Montreal Council of Social Agencies, and sat on the board of directors of the Montreal Council of Social Agencies and the Montreal Diocesan Theological College. Hall was also an active member of the National Geographic Society, the Kiwanis Club of Sir George, and St. Philips Anglican Church in Montreal West.
Hall retired as principal in 1962 and from teaching in 1966, at which point he also stepped down from his administrative duties as member of the University Council and Board of Governors. He remained involved at Sir George as Principal Emeritus and Governor Emeritus. To honour his long administrative and teaching career, the new university building located on de Maisonneuve Boulevard (formerly Burnside Street) opened in 1966 was named the Henry F. Hall Building. In recognition of his term as principal, the Henry F. Hall Scholarship Fund was established in 1962 and Hall was awarded the Sir George Williams University Long Service Award in 1963. Hall was also celebrated within the educational community: he was granted honourary Doctor of Laws degrees from McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario (1956), McGill University (1962), and Sir George Williams University (1966), and an honourary Doctor of Divinity degree from the Montreal Diocesan Theological College (1960). Hall’s commitment to the YMCA was recognized with an honourary membership and lifetime contribution award granted by the National Council of YMCAs. In 1967, Hall was one of the first recipients of the Centennial Medal and Order of Canada.
Gertrude Katz, militante sociale, enseignante, écrivaine et poète, est née le 7 novembre 1929 à Montréal, Québec. Dans les années 1960, Katz s'intéresse activement à la réforme de l'éducation au Québec et s'implique auprès du Comité des écoles neutres pour une période de cinq ans. En tant que membre de ce comité, elle luttait pour un changement dans le système scolaire de la province, lequel était basé sur des critères religieux. Katz a rencontré le Dr Henry Morgentaler en 1965 alors qu'il faisait partie du Comité des écoles neutres, et elle est restée son amie et associée pendant de nombreuses années, aidant à former le Comité de défense de Morgentaler à Montréal en 1972-1973. Katz a également été directrice de campagne électorale du Dr Morgentaler au Québec en 1972-1973 En 1972, elle a aidé à former la section de Montréal de la Canadian Abortion Rights Action League. Katz a été contrôleur pour les cliniques Morgentaler à Montréal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Fredericton, Halifax et St. John's entre 1978 et 2005. Katz a enseigné la rédaction créative sur une base volontaire au pénitencier fédéral de Saint-Vincent-de-Paul. Ce travail aboutit à la publication de The Time Gatherers (1970). Les autres livres de Katz incluent Poems for 27 Cents, avec une introduction d'Irving Layton (1961), Through Mist, Weeds et Water (1973) et Duet (1982). De plus, Katz a publié de nombreux articles dans The Canadian Forum, Fiddlehead, Evidence, Booster & Blaster, Feminist Communication Collective, Viewpoints, Anthanor et Humanist in Canada. Deux de ses poèmes ont été publiés dans Love Where The Nights Are Long, éditées par Irving Layton (1962), avec qui elle avait une amitié de longue date et des relations commerciales, et dans Essential Words, édité par Seymour Mayne (1985). En 1973-1974, Katz a dirigé un atelier d'écriture à la Powerhouse Gallery (maintenant La Centrale Galerie Powerhouse). Elle est mariée à Carl Katz et a deux filles.
After a long career in the Canadian foreign services, Dr. R. Patrick Duder joined Loyola College in 1966 as Assistant to the President and Secretary to the Board of Governors. He also, became Secretary to the Board of Trustees, in 1970. After the merger of Loyola and Sir George Williams, for which he was a mainstay in the process of negotiations, he became Assistant to the Vice-Rector and Principal of Loyola campus until his retirement in 1977. He was also appointed Secretary of the Board of Governors on August 10, 1973, a position he still held when he suddenly died on April 7, 1980.
John Noonan was Assistant to the Registrar at Loyola College from 1965 to 1967, he then became Registrar (and automatically Secretary of Loyola Senate), replacing Rev. Gerald W Tait, S.J. He held the position until the merger of Loyola College and Sir George Williams University in 1974 when he became Associate Registrar at Concordia until 1976. Meanwhile, he was Concordia Secretary of Senate from October 1973 until his retirement on November 1, 1997. After his 32 years of service to Loyola College and Concordia University, he was named Secretary of Senate Emeritus of Concordia University on November 28, 1997.
Russell (Russ) Dufort was born in 1923. His musical career began as a teenager when he played drums with The Stardusters, a local big band. Later, Dufort played with the renowned Johnny Holmes Orchestra. He also sometimes played as part of Oscar Peterson’s trio. He was part of an early recording session at R.C.A. Victor. During World War II, Dufort was a drummer with the Royal Canadian Air Force, in Ottawa, Saskatoon, and Vancouver. He played drums at the Bombing & Gunnery School in Dafoe Saskatchewan.
Dufort left the Johnny Holmes Orchestra when family obligations required him to get a more steady job, first at Canadian Pacific, then at Canadair Limited, where he worked for over 40 years. He continued to play on weekends, first with Montreal musician Bud Hayward, and then forming his own quintet, the Russ Dufort Orchestra. A significant moment in his career was leading a band which played between sets at a Duke Ellington concert in the 1960s.
Dufort was present at the inauguration of the Oscar Peterson Concert Hall at Concordia University, where he was reunited with his old friend Oscar Peterson. Dufort became an honorary lifetime member of the Montreal Musician's Guild in 2003.
Dufort continued to play drums with visiting musicians at the nursing home in which he resided. He passed away in Pointe-Claire, Quebec, on May 23, 2017.