Showing 2660 results

Authority record

Horwood, Elizabeth K.

  • EKH1
  • Person
  • ?-2002

Elizabeth Kirly Horwood was secretary to the chair of the Concordia University Department of Mechanical Engineering during the events which occurred August 24, 1992, the Fabrikant incident, during which she was injured. Ms. Horwood died on June 12, 2002.

Concordia University. International and Ethnic Associations Council (IEAC)

  • CUIEAC1
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-

The International and Ethnic Associations Council of Concordia is an umbrella organization representing (as of 2015) 9 international/ethnic associations at Concordia University. It was founded in 1981 and recognized by the Concordia Council on Student Life (CCSL) in October 1982. The IEAC has since established itself as the governing body of its member associations, representing them before the university’s administration, faculty, student population, other university bodies and student organizations, as well as the community at large.
The IEAC consists of one representative from each member association and an elected executive. As such, it oversees and coordinates the activities of its member associations, as it seeks to promote an alliance and improved relations between international/ethnic student associations and other student organizations. Its main objectives are to unite Concordia’s various ethnic communities, and provide a place for social and cultural integration for its member’s association.
Among the activities to promote cultural diversity, the IEAC has hosted over the years a Cultural Week event where each group gives the Concordia community the opportunity to experience firsthand foreign cultures with music, dance and food. Other cultural events include concerts, exhibits, workshops and lectures.

Brault, Mark P.

  • MPB1
  • Person

Mark P. Brault graduated from Loyola College in 1950. He served as stage-crew for the Loyola College Dramatic Society in the late 1940s and 1950s.

Sparling, Clifford C.

  • CCS1
  • Person
  • 1896-1983

Clifford Sparling joined Sir George Williams College in 1952 as assistant professor of mathematics. In 1956 he was appointed associate professor of mathematics. From 1965 to 1972, he occupied this position on a part-time basis. He died in 1983, at the age of 87.

Corporate-Higher Education Forum

  • CHEF1
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-

The Canadian Corporate-Higher Education Forum (C-HEF) was established to bring the leadership of major Canadian private and public corporations into contact with the presidents, principals, and rectors of the country's universities. (C-HEF is a sister organization of the Business-Higher Education Forum of the USA.) Consultations with potential members began in 1981. The first Corporate-Higher Education Forum was held at Concordia University on May 20, 1983. The Forum was an initiative of Concordia University, which agreed to house its secretariat. In [199?] the secretariat moved to Calgary, Alberta.

The Forum aims to advance mutual understanding through an exchange of ideas; to develop policy statements on issues and questions of mutual interest and concern; to provide a vehicle for corporate and university leadership to reflect upon issues of national significance, and to support and sponsor cooperative activities.

Tobin, Donald

  • DT1
  • Person

Donald Tobin graduated from Loyola College in 1936. He was president of the Loyola Alumni Association 1949-1950.

Wheeler, Orson Shorey

  • OSW1
  • Person
  • 1902-1990

Orson Shorey Wheeler was born in 1902 in a farming family in Barnston in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. He died in October 1990. Orson Wheeler, R.C.A., S.S.C., was an artist and a well respected art teacher. He spent 55 years at Sir George Williams and its successor institution Concordia University.

His talent was discovered at a county fair and his development was encouraged by an American benefactor. He received a B.A. from Bishop's University in 1927. He studied at the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts and the Monument national, both in Montreal, and at New York City's Cooper Union, Beaux Arts Institute, and National Academy of Design.

He began teaching at Sir George Williams in 1931. His professional career was multifaceted, but preeminent were his interests in sculpture and architecture. It is as a portrait sculptor that he will be remembered. All but one of the former rectors and principals of Sir George Williams sat for him. His major contribution to the field of architecture is a superlative collection of between two and three hundred architectural models in plasticine of many of the world's significant archictectural monuments. These were made as teaching aids for his classes in art and architectural history at Sir George Williams, Concordia, and McGill University. When viewed in series, they demonstrate the variances in how we perceive space. The unique collection makes possible more than 20,000 comparisons according to Wheeler's own calculations.

Wheeler's work was exhibited at the New York World's Fair, at the Tate Gallery in England, and in Canada at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, the National Gallery in Ottawa, the Toronto Art Gallery, and the Winnipeg and Vancouver art galleries. At Concordia University his work is on public display in the library and the foyer of the Hall Building.

Kerner, Fred

  • FK1
  • Person

Fred Kerner graduated from Sir George Williams College in 1942 with an arts degree. He was editor of The Georgian 1940-1942. He was a member of the musical revue Georgianticsin 1940, and its director in 1941 and 1942. He has been a member of the Alumni Association of Sir George Williams since 1943. He is (in 2003) an honourary member. He served as the Association's president in 1973 and 1974. In 1975-1976 he sat on the Board of Governors of Concordia University, which was created with the merger of SGW with Loyola College in 1974.

Kearney, John Doherty

  • JDK1
  • Person
  • 1893-

John Doherty Kearney was born in Montreal February 28, 1893. He graduated from Loyola College with a B.A. degree in 1916, and from McGill University with a Bachelor of Civil Laws. In World War I he served with the Canadian Field Artillery and was awarded the Military Cross. In 1921, he married Winnifred E. Greenish of Cork, Ireland. He practised law in Montreal until 1941, when he joined Canada's diplomatic service, serving in Ireland, Norway, Denmark, India, and Argentina. In 1951, he was appointed judge of the Exchequer Court (predecessor of the Federal Court) in Ottawa. He was also chairman of the Board of Transport Commissioners for Canada until 1956. He received an honourary Ll. D. degree from Saint Mary's University, Halifax.

Pallen, Robert

  • RP1
  • Person
  • 1930-2003

Robert H. Pallen was born in 1930. He was married to Anne, and they had children. He died in Montreal in 2003. Pallen graduated in Chemistry from Sir George Williams University in 1952. He pursured graduate studies and earned a Ph.D. from the University of Western Ontario.

He joined Loyola of Montreal as an Assistant Professor of Chemistry. After Loyola College merged with Sir George Williams University to form Concordia University in 1974, he was Associate Professor of chemistry at Concordia University from 1975 to 1989 and then Associate Professor, chemistry and biochemistry, from 1990 to his retirement in 1996.

He held many administrative positions. He was secretary of the Loyola Science Faculty Council 1972-1973. From 1973-1979 he was Assistant Dean, Faculty of Arts and Science (Loyola). From 1977-1985 he was Associate Dean of Division III, Faculty of Arts and Science. From 1985 to 1996 he was Associate Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.

Following retirement he pursued his interest in music, registering as a student in the Faculty of Fine Arts. He was active in the Concordia University Pensioners' Association.

In 1983 he institute the annual Expo-Science, a collaboration between Concordia University and the Pointe Claire Cultural Centre, Stewart Hall.

Fulton, Fraser F.

  • FFF1
  • Person
  • ?-1977

Fraser F. Fulton was born in St. John, New Brunswick. He died February 4, 1977.

He attended Mount Allison University and then graduated from McGill University in 1928.

He had a military career, beginning as a lieutenant with the Royal Canadian Signal Corps. Extensive overseas assignments followed during which he rose to the rank of brigadier general and a posting as chief technical officer, Canadian Army Overseas. He later became vice-president, administration of Northern Electric Company Limited (later Nortel).

Fraser Fulton joined the Sir George Williams University Board of Governors in 1961. He was vice-chairman in 1962-1963 and chairman of the Board of Governors from 1963 to 1969. He was active in fund-raising for the Henry F. Hall Building. In 1965 he was also appointed chancellor of Sir George Williams University, a position he held until his resignation in 1971.

Goodson, Jack

  • JG1
  • Person
  • 1920-

Jack Goodson was born February 7, 1920. He was a student at Sir George Williams College in the late 1930s-early 1940s. He was involved in college shows including Georgiantics and the T.N.T. Revue which were presented for local audiences and to entertain troops training near Montreal.

Hudson, Susan

  • SH1
  • Person

Susan Hudson joined Concordia University in 1977 as a part-time lecturer in studio arts. In 1978 she became a full-time visiting assistant professor of graphic design. In 1981 she was appointed assistant professor of fine arts (studio arts) and in 1982, assistant professor of fine arts (design). In 1983 she was promoted to associate professor of fine arts (design). In 1987 her title became associate professor of design, and in 1989, associate professor of design art. She retired in 1998. Susan Hudson continues to practise as a print-maker, and can be contacted via the ViewPoint Gallery in Halifax.

Favreau, Della L.

  • DLF1
  • Person

Della L. Favreau, née Hoyle, is the granddaughter of Timothy V. Hoyle and grandniece of George Hoyle. They were the sons of Henry Hoyle, the builder of the Manor House of Lacolle (1825). The Manor House, situated in southwestern Quebec near the U.S. Border, was bought by Loyola College in August 1971 for use as a faculty development centre. In 1974 Loyola College merged with Sir George Williams University to form Concordia University. Concordia University sold the Manor House of Lacolle in 1996.

Stewart, Bill

  • BS1
  • Person
  • February 28, 1914 - December 3, 2004

William Archibald (Bill) Stewart, OBE (1914-2004) was born in Rivière-du-Loup, Quebec, February 28, 1914. He died in St. Lambert, Quebec, December 3, 2004. His father, Charles A. Stewart (d. 1960), a descendant of Scots who settled in Prince Edward Island in 1770, worked for the Temiscouata Railway Co.; he became president of the railway in 1940. His mother was A. Laura Walsh Stewart (d. 1982, age 94). Bill was the second eldest child, with five brothers and two sisters: E. Vaughan, Charles (m. Rolande Viel), Ruth (m. D. Ernie Burritt of Canadian Press), Anne T. (m. Bertrand Potvin), James Robert (d. 1995), Alan (m. Denise ?), and R. Lloyd (d. 1987). In 1946 Bill Stewart married Katherine Elizabeth (Kay) Young (b. Winnipeg, 1920, d. 2013). Kay and Bill Stewart had five children: Dugald (m. Ginette, children: Jonathan, Carine), Landon, Susan, John (had Charles-Antoine with Murielle Allain), and Janet (m. Marcelo ? , daughter Arlen).

Bill went to school in French at the Christian Brothers' Collège St-Patrice near Rivière-du-Loup. He began undergraduate studies at the University of Ottawa, but had to return home because the Depression diminished family resources. He ran the family farm and studied art by correspondence in 1932-1933. He continued to be active in visual art for a number of years thereafter, creating portraits, caricatures, and cartoons. Some are signed JF, a pseudonym he adopted when his artwork appeared in newspapers.

In 1933 he contributed articles to Canadian Press as a correspondent in Rivière-du-Loup. In 1934 he became a CP staff member in the Halifax bureau. He was to work in various positions with CP until retirement in 1979. In 1935-1936 he worked successively in Charlottetown , P.E.I. and Sydney, N.S., and St. John, N.B. In 1936 he was transferred to Montreal, then to CP's Toronto bureau. In 1937-1939 he was a correspondent in Quebec City. He served on the Montreal bureau editorial staff in 1940.

In 1941 CP stationed him in London to report on Canadian military personnel training there for the 1942 invasion of Dieppe. After a few weeks in North Africa in 1943, he covered Canadian action in the 1943 Sicily and Italian campaigns. In January 1944 he reported on action in northwest Europe. His eyewitness account of the Normandy D-Day invasion was among the first to reach the outside world.

In 1944, Stewart was the first Canadian correspondent accredited to the Southeast Asia Command; he was based in the Philippines where a Canadian force of army, air force and navy personnel was preparing to take part in an invasion of Japan, a plan that was abandoned when two atomic bombs were used against Japan in August 1945. Following the surrender of Japan, Stewart interviewed Canadians who had been taken prisoner by the Japanese in Hong Kong in 1941. Some of his dispatches from the Pacific war were signed with the pseudonym George Hawkes. In 1946-1947 he was CP's Far East correspondent, based in Australia.

In 1947 he became Quebec City bureau chief (1948-1952). He was a member of the Quebec Parliamentary Press Gallery. In 1952-1974 he was Montreal bureau chief. In 1951 he was instrumental in establishing CP's French service La Presse Canadienne, which he headed at its inception. (He was also involved in CP's radio service, Broadcast News, which offered service in English and French starting in 1945.) In 1954, he accompanied Canadian Prime Minister Louis St-Laurent on a world tour. He presided over coverage of Quebec's Quiet Revolution and the FLQ October Crisis of 1970.

He helped his friend Roger Lemelin developed scripts for the English-language version of La Famille Plouffe/The Plouffe Family, a popular series shown on the CBC 1954-1959.

From 1975 to 1979 he was a CP general executive, based in Montreal.

After retirement he continued writing, often on Quebec subjects, until the year he died, when he filed a story on the 60th anniversary of D-Day. He also did freelance translation. He was a member of the Canadian War Correspondents Association and served on its board of directors until his death.

Throughout his life he maintained an active correspondence with family members, friends, and colleagues, retaining a copy of many of the letters he sent.

In 1948 he was named an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in recognition of his wartime reporting. He was inducted into the Canadian News Hall of Fame in 1986. He was listed in Canadian Who's Who.

Journal of Canadian Art History

  • JCAH1
  • Corporate body
  • 1974-

The Journal of Canadian Art History, a scholarly publication, was founded in 1974 and appears twice yearly. It publishes studies in all aspects of the history of Canadian art, architecture, and the decorative arts, and Inuit and North American Native art - from the eighteenth century to the contemporary period. Contents include individual studies on artists, architects, art works, and buildings, as well as articles on art media, art theory and criticism, patronage, institutions, and education. Themes and issues in Canadian art such as problems of iconography, connoisseurship, attribution, and stylistic development are also covered. In addition, such features as Sources and Documents, Book Reviews, and Commentaries are regularly presented. The material is published in English or French and the articles are accompanied by a translated résumé.

The Journal of Canadian Art History is the only scholarly journal devoted entirely to the issues and events in Canadian art history.

Douglass, Matthew

  • MD1
  • Person
  • 1926-1992

Matthew Douglass was born in Trinidad in 1926. He earned a Bachelor of Engineering from McGill University (1952), after which he worked for 5 years in industry and the public service, and then for 9 years as an assistant professor at Howard University in the United States. He was granted a Master's of Engineering Science by George Washington University in 1962 and a doctorate by Oklahoma State University in 1966.

Dr. Douglass joined Sir George Williams University as an associate professor in the Department of Civil Engineering in 1966. He was the department's first chair 1968-1972, and served a second term from 1982-1989.

He was an active researcher in civil engineering systems, including computer-based learning and computer-aided analysis. He taught courses in mechanics and structures, and was a consultant to the Department of Civil Engineering of the University of West Indies on student enrolment, curriculum development, and research programs. He was also an examiner in structural analysis for the Order of Engineers of Quebec.

Matthew Douglass was one of the victims of the August 24, 1992 event (the Fabrikant incident) at Concordia University.

Concordia University. Garnet Key Society

  • CUGKS1
  • Corporate body
  • 1956-

The first Key society was formed in the United States in the 1920s. The movement eventually became international. Formed to welcome and assist visiting athletic teams, the Key societies developed into service bodies to act as general representatives of their respective universities. Their role is to provide a welcoming service for the university, to orientate students to university life, and to provide general assistance to the university.

The Garnet Key Society was begun at Sir George Williams College in 1956 by two fourth-year students, Vic Rogers and Dave Williams with assistance from the Faculty Council, as well as athletic director Mag Flynn and fourth-year student Stu McEvoy. The first official function was to assist in welcoming Hungarian refugee students en route to the University of British Columbia. Since then the Society has been increasingly active in all phases of university life. Membership is considered an honour, and members act as ambassadors, representing the student body at official university events.

Concordia University. Lesbian Studies Coalition

  • CULSC1
  • Corporate body
  • 1987-

The Coalition for the Integration of Lesbian Studies at Concordia was created in 1987. The name was changed to Lesbian Studies Coalition of Concordia (LSCC) in 1989.

The LSCC works toward integrating lesbian material and perspectives into all applicable disciplines, and eventually establishing a degree-granting program. The coalition acts as a support group for lesbians who need to discuss their experiences in a lesbophobic academic community and acts as a watchdog against heterosexism.

Sloan, Walter Kent

  • WKS1
  • Person
  • 1924-1991

Walter Kent Sloan was born September 5, 1924. He joined Sir George Williams University in 1971 as an assistant professor of theatre arts. After the merger of Sir George Williams with Loyola College to form Concordia University in 1974, his title changed to assistant professor of fine arts. He was promoted to associate professor of fine arts in 1983, and became associate professor of theatre in 1987. In addition to teaching, Sloan was active as a set, costume, and props designer for numerous Canadian theatres. He died on November 9, 1991.

Bayne, Clarence

  • CB1
  • Person

Clarence S. Bayne joined Sir George Williams University in 1966 as a lecturer in statistics. From 1967 to 1969, he was a lecturer in quantitative methods; in 1969 he was appointed assistant professor of quantitative methods. Following the merger of Sir George Williams and Loyola College to form Concordia University in 1974, he was appointed associate professor of quantitative methods. In 1987, he was made associate professor of decision sciences and management information systems. Dr. Bayne has been an advocate for the Black community in Montreal.

Drummond, Lewis Thomas

  • LTD1
  • Person
  • 1813-1882

Lewis Thomas Drummond was born in Londonderry, Ireland, May 28, 1813. When he was 12 years old, he and his widowed mother came to live in Montreal. He was educated at the Seminaire de Nicolet and studied law in the office of attorney Charles Dewey Day. Drummond was accepted to the Bar of Lower Canada in 1836 and established his own law firm. In 1838 he earned a reputation in criminal law when he defended those who participated in the Rebellion of 1837. Although he lost the case and the rebels were hanged, he gained much publicity and went on to try other prominent criminal cases.

In 1848 he was appointed Queen's Counsel, and that year he became solicitor general for Lower Canada in the first Canadian responsible government. In 1851 he was promoted to attorney general for Lower Canada. In 1852 he used his influence to overcome opposition within the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada to incorporate Montreal's Collège Ste-Marie. (One of Concordia University's founding institutions was Loyola College, which originated as a branch of Collège Ste-Marie.) Drummond successfully promoted legislation for the abolition of seigneurial tenure in Lower Canada (Quebec). The adoption of the Consolidated Seigneurial Act of 1854 is attributed to Drummond.

Drummond married a francophone, a member of a seignieurial family, Elmire Debartzch. They had two sons, Charles and Lewis Henry. (Lewis H. Drummond became a member of the Jesuit Order.) L.T. Drummond died from bronchitis on November 24, 1882.

Clarke, Douglass B.

  • DBC1
  • Person
  • 1907-1979

Douglass Burns Clarke was born in Montreal on October 13, 1907. He married Dorothy Adams and had two children, Barbara and Frederick. D.B. Clarke died in 1979. He graduated from Sir George Williams College as a member of the Guinea Pig Graduating Class of 1937, so-called because it was the first graduating class the College produced. In 1932, he joined the teaching staff of the College as a lecturer, and he accepted a full-time position in English and Fine Arts after his graduation. He loved theatre and from 1932 to 1941 he was a director of the Playmakers Workshop of Sir George Williams College. He founded the Georgiantics musical revue. In 1942 he became the production manager for the Lakeshore Summer Theatre and was involved with the Montreal Repertory Theatre, among others. He was appointed acting registrar of Sir George Williams in 1943, and in 1946 he was appointed registrar. In 1956 he was appointed vice-principal and stayed on as registrar until 1962. From 1967 to 1968 he was vice-principal academic. In 1968 he was appointed acting principal and vice-chancellor. He retired in 1969. He wrote a history of Sir George Williams in the period following that covered by Henry F. Hall in The Georgian Spirit: The Story of Sir George Williams University. Douglass Clarke's work, published in 1976 was entitled Decades of Decisions: Sir George Williams University, 1952-53 to 1972-73. He influenced the university to welcome the arts and increased its importance in the cultural life of Montreal. The D.B. Clarke Theatre in the Hall Building is named in his memory.

Thomas More Institute

  • TMI1
  • Corporate body
  • 1946-

Montreal's Thomas More Institute was founded in 1946, with 90 students enrolled in six courses. Its aim is to provide opportunities for lifelong learning and liberal education for adults. More than 350 of its students have earned the degree of Bachelor of Arts: 271 from 1948 to 1974 within the context of an association with the Université de Montréal, and 95 since 1975 by virtue of an affiliation with Bishop's University.

Eric O'Connor, S.J., a teacher at Concordia University founding institution Loyola College from 1934-1936 and 1942-1980, was one of the founders of the Thomas More Institute.

The Institute is named after Thomas More (1478-1535), one of the great humanist scholars of the Renaissance. He contributed significantly to that critical shift from the medieval to the modern world by articulating and promoting, for men and women alike, a new concept of education based upon the priority of open inquiry and critical thought. In his view, learning occurs as individuals relate the formulations of the past to questions that point toward the future. The Thomas More Institute reflects this philosophy of education with a strong emphasis on lifelong adult learning.

Source: Thomas More Institute Web site (www.thomasmore.qc.ca)

Concordia University. Commerce and Administration Students' Association

  • CUCASA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1985-

The Commerce and Administration Students' Association (CASA) was formed in 1985, when the Commerce Students' Association (CSA) of Concordia University's Sir George Williams campus merged with the Commerce Students' Society (CSS) of Concordia University's Loyola Campus. Both the CSA and the CSS were formed in the 1950s. CASA is funded by the Concordia Association of Commerce Students Inc. (CACS), accredited in 1989 following a referendum to secede from the Concordia University Students' Association. Commerce students' fees are collected by CACS and redistributed to CASA which uses this money to fund activities, projects, and services offered throughout the academic year. Its officers are elected by undergraduate commerce and administration students.

Concordia University. Caribbean Students' Union

  • CUCSU1
  • Corporate body
  • 1953-

The West Indian Society was created in 1953 at Sir George Williams University. With the adoption of a new constitution at the end of 1969, the society changed its name to the Caribbean Students' Union.

Concordia University. Canadian Society for Civil Engineering. Concordia Student Chapter

  • CUCSCE1
  • Corporate body
  • 1985-

The Canadian Society of Civil Engineers was formed in 1887. The first members were Thomas Keefer, Casimir Gzowksi, and other civil engineers. By 1918, the Society's members included other disciplines so the name was changed to the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC). In 1970 the EIC took steps toward becoming a federation of learned engineering societies and the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering, the first constituent within the EIC, was formed. The Canadian Geotechnical Society, the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, the Canadian Society for Electrical Engineering, and the Canadian Society for Engineering Management followed. On August 27, 1985, the CSCE became incorporated. Student chapters of the CSCE have been established in Canadian universities and colleges which offer a civil engineering program. Student chapters offer undergraduate technical programs, often in conjunction with local CSCE sections, and opportunities to meet with practising civil engineers in the community.

The CSCE Concordia promotes civil engineering by informing the student body of upcoming competitions and conferences. The Canadian Society for Civil Engineering - Concordia Student Chapter has been the host of an annual bridge-building competition since 1984.

Source: Canadian Society for Civil Engineering Web site.

Concordia University. Graduate Students’ Association

  • CUGSA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1970-

The Graduate Students' Association (GSA) is the governing body that rules over much of graduate student activity at Concordia University. The GSA deals with academic issues, academic student associations, and services. The GSA council is elected annually by graduate students.

YMCA of Montreal

  • YMCA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1851-

The first YMCA-the Young Men's Christian Association-was founded in London, England in 1844 by George Williams, age 23. It was a religious (Evangelical Protestant) movement for young men who had left their families and migrated from outlying areas to jobs in London. Its goal was their character development. It provided fellowship and opportunities for constructive use of leisure time.

At the world's fair that took place in London in 1851, YMCA pamphlets were distributed to visitors from all over the world, including a number of Montrealers who judged that it would fulfill a need in their city.

An inaugural meeting of the Montreal YMCA took place at St. Helen Street Baptist Church in November 1851. The Montreal YMCA can claim to be the first in North America, although YMCAs started up in Boston, New York, Toronto, and other North American cities about the same time.

The North American YMCAs formed a confederation in 1854. The World Alliance of YMCAs was formed in 1855.

In 1853, the Montreal YMCA hired its first paid employee, Samuel Massey. He worked as a missionary to young men in Montreal. As an adjunct to its religious mission, in the 1850s the Montreal YMCA created a social centre in rented quarters where young men could gather. It included a library and reading room. The Y began offering lectures, an employment service, and charitable relief to the indigent.

The first Montreal YMCA building was erected in 1873 on Victoria Square.

That year, the first evening educational courses were held, in French and shorthand. Services were added for younger boys and immigrants. Sports were added in the late 1880s. War work-services to military personnel-was first undertaken during the Boer War. Foreign service-outreach to other countries-became important early in the twentieth century.

Expansion was rapid, and in 1892 the Montreal YMCA created new quarters on Dominion Square, where the Sun Life building now stands. In the Dominion Square Y building there were meeting rooms, a reading room and a library, club and class rooms, an auditorium, a gymnasium, locker and shower rooms, a swimming pool, a bowling alley, and a dining room.

In 1894, a boys' summer camp was opened in the Laurentians north of Montreal. Outdoor programs have been part of the Association's programming ever since.

In 1912, the Central/Downtown Branch of the Montreal Association moved to new quarters on Drummond Street. That year, the Association opened the Westmount Branch and the North Branch (now YMCA du Parc). Other branches and various satellite units have existed at various times throughout the Metropolitan Montreal region.

In 1931 the Downtown Branch was remodeled and a 500-room residential annex was added to provide low-cost accommodation and meals for men. The residence would later serve as accommodation for refugees. (In 2001 as part of a major renovation of the YMCA Centre-ville, the downtown residence was demolished. The Y opened refugee accommodation in the former Reddy Memorial Hospital on Tupper Street.)

The Montreal YMCA has offered many programs, including physical and aquatics programs and social programs. The educational programs grew to become one of Concordia University founding institutions, Sir George Williams College/University. In the 1970s a shift in government policy in Quebec meant increased emphasis on community recreational programs, and the YMCA provided input and management services for these programs. Community development programs, including immigrant, crime prevention, and offender rehabilitation programs, were added.

At the beginning of the twenty-first century, the Metropolitan Montreal Association included the YMCA Centre-ville, the du Parc YMCA, the Guy-Favreau YMCA, the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve YMCA, the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce YMCA, the Pointe Saint-Charles YMCA, the Saint-Laurent YMCA, the West Island YMCA, the Westmount YMCA, Kamp Kanawana, the YMCA residence for refugee claimants, and the YMCA International Language school and the YMCA Foundation and Metropolitan services offices which were located in the same building as the YMCA Centre-ville.

Results 61 to 90 of 2660