Showing 1897 results

Authority record

Bernard, Joseph F.

  • JB1
  • Person
  • 1878-1972

In 1984-1985, Concordia University Archives (now Records Management and Archives) put together the Joseph F. Bernard collection to document the history of the Bernard Arctic Collection.

Born December 23, 1878, at Tignish, Prince Edward Island, Joseph F. Bernard became a trapper and trader in the Arctic Ocean. Joining his uncle Peter (Pete) Bernard, Joe Bernard arrived in Nome, Northern Alaska, in 1901. Later on with his 13-ton gasoline schooner, the Teddy Bear, he spent many years travelling in the Arctic waters, trading for furs, and collecting numerous ethnographic objects and natural history specimen. Bernard Harbour, in Nunavut, is named for Captain Joe Bernard. In the 1920s, Bernard settled in Cordova working as a commercial fisherman, then as Cordova’s harbormaster. Joseph F. Bernard died in Sitka, Alaska, on April 6, 1972. His life is largely evoked through “Chasing Alaska: A Portrait of the Last Frontier Then and Now,” (2013) by C. B. Bernard.

Between 1916 and 1920, he gathered an important collection of ethnographical and archaeological objects, mainly from the Copper Eskimos of Coronation Gulf. The assemblage is known as the Bernard Arctic Collection, Bernard Eskimo Collection, Bernard Collection, or the Bernard Inuit Collection. In 1921, he loaned his collection to Loyola College. He donated it in 1924 for a proposed College museum. The museum never materialized, and in 1947 Loyola College donated part of the collection to the Arctic Institute of North America in Montreal (the Institute moved to Calgary in 1976) and part to Cambridge University's Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Other parts of the Collection were donated in 1991 to the Canadian Museum of Civilization and to Loyola High School in 1993; there may also be items from the Collection at the University of Washington Museum in Seattle, the Museum of the American Indian in New York, and the Museum of the University of Philadelphia.

Captain Joe Bernard’s life is evoked through the book “Chasing Alaska: A Portrait of the Last Frontier Then and Now” (Guilford, Connecticut: Lyons Press, 2013), by C. B. Bernard.

Black Studies Center

  • BSC1
  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

The Black Studies Centre is a not-for-profit community organization and registered charity in Montreal, Quebec. The Black Studies Centre was founded by Dr. Clarence Bayne, Adrien Espinet and Leighton Hutson in January 1973. The Centre has its origins in the Research Institute of the National Black Coalition of Canada which was founded by Dr. Clarence Bayne and operated from 1971 to 1974. At the time of its foundation, the mission of the Black Studies Centre was to protect the interests of Black people in Quebec, to help improve their economic status, and to create and foster organizational structures improving their position in society. In addition, the Centre works to improve communications within the Montreal Black community by promoting Black culture through its many cultural programs and by building up research centres promoting and facilitating the study of Black history. The Black Studies Centre continues to organize workshops, conferences, exhibitions, and other events, and partners with other community organizations and educational institutions in order to offer varied programming geared towards Black youth and other community organizations. Over the years, the Black Studies Centre has partnered with and housed other community organizations, including the Black Theater Workshop, the Black Community Council of Quebec, Women on the Rise, and the Quebec Board of Black Educators. It continues to work in collaboration with the Institute for Community Entrepreneurship and Development (ICED) and the John Molson School of Business at Concordia University.
The Black Studies Centre is governed by a board of directors. It is member of the Black Community Council of Quebec and has a seat on the Board of Directors at the Black Community Resource Centre. During the course of its operations, the Black Studies Centre has gathered extensive documentation on the histories, contributions, and experiences of Black communities in Montreal, Quebec, and Canada. It conducts “extensive research on the social, political and economic status of Black populations in Montreal and Canada; and [has] presented several briefs on the issues to all levels of Government and to the general public and commissions.” The Black Studies Centre receives funding from the Government of Canada and Government of Quebec.
Between 1972 and 2014 the Black Studies Centre was located at 1968 De Maisonneuve boulevard in Montreal. The building, which was belonging to the Black Studies Centre, was sold in 2014 and proceeds from the sale were used to set up the SC Charitable Activity Funding Program. Money from the trust is used to finance the new home at 3333 Cavendish boulevard, Montreal, where the centre is currently located.

Black Theater Workshop

  • BTW1
  • Corporate body
  • 1972-

The Black Theater Workshop (BTW), also known as the “Theatre B.T.W.," is an English-speaking theatre company located in Montreal, Quebec that “is committed to reflecting Black culture and community by developing and providing visibility for Black Canadian artists.”

Incorporated in 1972 as a non-profit organization, the BTW is the oldest Black theater company in Canada. Beginning in 1965 as the Trinidad & Tobago Association (TTA) Drama group with the goal of becoming a theatre for the whole Montreal community, the TTA drama group became the Black Theatre Workshop in 1971 with the presentation of How Now Black Man, written by Lorris Elliott and directed by Jeff Henry. To respect the rules of French language use in Quebec, the Workshop officially changed its name to “Theatre B.T.W.” in January 1984.

The mission of the BTW “is to encourage and promote the development of a Black and Canadian Theater, rooted in a literature that reflects the creative will of Black Canadian writers and artists, and the creative collaborations between Black and other artists.” The Black Theater Workshop primarily stages the work of Black Canadian playwrights and selects plays that deal with themes relevant to Black communities in Canada. Since the beginning of the 1980s, the Black Theater Workshop annually runs school tours as part of its regular season.

One of the 35 founding members of the BTW is Clarence Bayne, who also served as both president and artistic director during the first years of the theatre. Since 1991, he has been Vice-President of the organization’s Board of Directors. As Artistic Director, Clarence Bayne was followed by Errol Sitahal (1970s), Terry Donald (1970s), Dwight Bacquie (1983-1984), Lorena Gale (1984-1985), Don Jordan (1985-1988), Winston Sutton (1988-1994), Fleurette Fernando (1994-1996), Nancy Delva (1997-1999), Kate Bligh (1999-2001), Rachael Van Fossen (2001-2005), and Tyrone Benskin (2005-2011). Since 2011, Quincy Armorer has been Artistic Director at the BTW. The BTW is governed by a board of Directors, which is presently formed by Jacklin Webb (president), Dr. Clarence Bayne (vice-president), Dr. Horace Goddard (secretary), Phylicia Burke (treasurer), Yvonne Greer (member), and Allison DaCosta.

The BTW is the recipient of numerous awards, including various Montreal English Theatre Awards (META) and several Montreal’s English Critics Circle Awards (MECCA).

From 1976 to 1985, the BTW used Montreal’s Centaur Theatre performing space. In 1984, BTW opened its first administrative office, and started performing in a space rented from L’Atelier Contenu. In the 1990s, offices were located at 1827 Ste Catherine West. Since 2003, the workshop is using the spaces of the Montréal Arts Interculturels (MAI) Centre, located at 3680 rue Jeanne-Mance.

Bland, John

  • JB1
  • Person
  • November 13, 1911 - March 26, 2002

John Bland, emeritus professor of architecture at McGill University, distinguished architect, town planner, architectural historian and author.

Blue Metropolis Foundation

  • BM3
  • Corporate body
  • 1997-

The Blue Metropolis Foundation was incorporated as a not-for-profit organization in 1997. Its incorporation was done in conjunction with the creation of Blue Metropolis Inc., owned by Linda Leith. Initially created to help collect funds for projects like a literary magazine, the purpose of the Foundation soon became the organization of an annual literary festival. This festival, named the Blue Metropolis Montreal International Literary Festival, was inspired by “Write pour écrire,” an event organized in 1996 by three Montreal writers in partnership with the Union des écrivaines et des écrivains québécois (UNEQ).

The first Blue Metropolis Montreal International Literary Festival took place at the Europa Hotel on Drummond Street in Montreal from April 19 to 23, 1999. In addition to readings, on-stage interviews, and panel discussions, events included the first Blue Metropolis Translation Slam, literacy programming, and community writing activities. These events took place in both English and French. Certain events were bilingual.

The second Blue Met festival took place in 2000 at the Hotel des Gouverneurs, Place Dupuis, in Montreal. During this iteration, Spanish became the third “official” language of the Festival. For the first time, the “Grand prix littéraire international Metropolis bleu” was assigned. It was in that year that CBC Radio and Radio-Canada began their involvement with the Festival. Since 2000, the Foundation has expanded its programming beyond the Festival and began organizing a wide range of educational programs for children and adolescents. The first such program was the Student Literary Program, which was first introduced at the Festival in 2000. The Foundation continues to offer year-round literacy activities.

In subsequent years, new languages were added to each iteration of the Festival. Events in non-official languages, including Italian, Dari, Farsi, later Arabic, Russian, and Chinese, were offered without translation. In order to offer programs in various languages, the Festival conducted outreach to various communities and established partnerships with different community organizations.

In 2007, the Blue Metropolis Arab Literary Prize was created, with annual funding from the Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage.

Linda Leith was president of the Blue Metropolis Foundation from 2003 to 2011.

Bordan, Jack

  • JB1
  • Person
  • 1926-

Born in Montreal in 1926, Professor Jack Bordan received a B. Eng. (Engineering Physics) and M. Sc. (Physics) degrees from McGill University in 1950 and 1952 respectively. He joined Sir George Williams University in 1952 as Lecturer and became Assistant Professor in Physics in 1955. He was made Associate Professor of Engineering in 1957 and Professor of Engineering in 1962. The following year, Professor Bordan became the first Sir George Williams University Dean of Engineering, a post he held until May 31, 1969. Following John O’Brien’s appointment as Rector, Jack Bordan was made Acting Vice-Principal, Academic in August 1969. He was appointed to the position in February 1970, effective June 1. With the merger of Sir George and Loyola College to form Concordia University in 1974, Professor Bordan was appointed Vice-Rector, Academic of the new institution. He held this position until his retirement in May 1980.

Borthwick, John Douglas

  • JDB1
  • Person
  • 1832-1912

John Douglas Borthwick was born in Glencourse, Scotland, in 1832. He arrived in Canada around 1850, first settling in Upper-Canada and later moving to Montreal. In 1866, Borthwick became ordained in the Church of England and served as a Minister at St. Mary's Church in Hochelaga. He later became a Chaplain at the Montreal prison.

Borthwick authored numerous texts, including but not limited to, Montreal, Its History (1875), History of Montreal and Commercial Registrar for 1885 (1885), History and Biographical Gazetteer of Montreal (1892), History of Montreal, Including the Streets of Montreal (1897), Authentic History of the Eight Prisons of Montreal (1907) and History of the Diocese of Montreal, 1850-1910 (1911).

Borthwick died in Montreal on January 14, 1912.

Boudreau, Walter

  • WB1
  • Person
  • October 15, 1947-

Walter Boudreau was born in Montreal October 15, 1947 to a musical family. His mother was a pianist; his father, who played alto saxophone in dance bands in Sorel, died just before Walter's birth. Walter Boudreau studied piano from age 7 to 13, then alto saxophone and later tenor saxophone. At 18 he led a jazz quartet. In 1968, with songwriter / poet Raoul Duguay, he founded the Montreal mixed-media music ensemble L'Infonie. Boudreau was the group's conductor and principal composer and arranger. He studied musical analysis at McGill University with Bruce Mather in 1968-1970, and analysis and composition with Serge Garant at Université de Montreal and with Gilles Tremblay at the Conservatoire de musique de Montréal in 1969-1973. He had internships in Europe with Kagel, Ligeti, Stockhausen, and Xenakis, and with Boulez in Cleveland. A prolific composer, Boudreau has written for various types of musical ensembles and for Quebec films. He won first prize in the 1973 CBC National Competition for Young Composers. In 1982 he was the youngest-ever winner of the Jules-Léger Prize for his compositionOdyssée du Soleil. He has been the artistic director and conductor for the Société de musique contemporaine du Québec, and is invited to conduct other orchestras.

Bourgeois, Gail

  • GB1
  • Person
  • [19--]-

Gail Bourgeois is a Canadian artist, independent curator, and writer. She received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Concordia University in 1984 and a Master of Fine Arts degree from Concordia in 1991.
Gail Bourgeois curated from 1996 to 2004 many exhibitions, including exhibitions at La Centrale, like amour-horreur in 1999, as part of La Centrale’s 25th anniversary programme, and “Powerhouse: Who We Are Now”, at the McClure Gallery, Westmount, Quebec in 2001. This exhibition consisted of recent self-portraits by fourteen of the founding members of La Centrale gallery. gail Bourgeois also held exhibitions of her own work, collaborated in exhibitions and other projects, and participated in seminars and other professional activities. She served on the boards of various galleries and resource centers including Montreal's Powerhouse Gallery/ La Centrale. She is one of the founding members of Powerhouse Gallery/ La Centrale.

Bourne, Huntly

  • HB5
  • Person
  • [ca. 1916] - February 10, 2011

Huntly Bourne was born as son of Charles E.H. Bourne and Muriel Winnifred (Macdonald) Bourne, around 1916. He married Nancy (Anderson) Bourne in 1946. They lived in Lachine, Quebec with their three children : Stephen, Brian and Janice. Huntly Bourne died on February 10, 2011 in Lachine, Quebec.

Bowden Clipping Service

  • BCS1
  • Corporate body
  • [19--?]-

Bowden Clipping Service, based in Kitchener, Ontario, is part of the Canadian media tracking company MH Media Monitoring Limited, owned by Maclean Hunter Publishing, and since April 1994 part of Rogers Communications.
Bowden Clipping Service was used by Concordia University Libraries to find articles in French and English Canadian newspapers and magazines relating to the poet Irving Layton. The company would send the clippings via first class mail on a weekly basis. The Libraries ceased using the company’s services in May of 1993.

Boyd, Gary

  • GB2
  • Person
  • 1934-2011

Gary MacIntyre Boyd was born in Toronto on October 9, 1934 and died in Montreal on April 3, 2011. He received a B.Sc. (Physics) from Carleton University (Ottawa) in 1957, a M.Sc. (Physics) from the University of Saskatchewan in 1961, and a Ph.D in Geophysics from the University of British Columbia in 1968. He also received a Diploma in Computer Assisted Instruction Development (Education & Training Consultants, Los Angeles), in 1970.

In 1968, Dr. Boyd began his career at Sir George Williams University (SGWU) as Assistant Professor of Instructional Communications and Assistant Director (Research & Development) of the Centre for Instructional Technology (later the Concordia Audio-Visual Department). He later started teaching in the Department of Education of SGWU. In 1974, SGWU merged with Loyola College to form Concordia University. Dr. Boyd went on to teach at Concordia University until his death in 2011. He also kept his position of Assistant Director (Research & Development) in the Concordia Audio-Visual Department until the ends of the 1990s.

Results 61 to 90 of 1897