Affichage de 2663 résultatsNotice d'autorité
There is a long tradition of athletics at Loyola. Almost as soon as the College was founded, field days (track and field competitions) were held once a year. In the Loyola College Review of 1915, the Sport pages refer to the Field Day, but also to numerous competitive sports, including Football, Hockey, and Basketball.
In the 1934-35 calendar, the Physical Culture section states that the physical training is by no means overlooked. The mandate of the Loyola College Athletic Association is also stated: The Loyola College Athletic Association was formed to encourage physical exercise and to create and foster a college spirit among the students. All athletics matters were under the supervision of the Athletic Board of Control. Intra-mural leagues were organized and the college was represented in inter-collegiate leagues as well.
In 1965, Edmund Enos was appointed director of the Department of Athletics. Under his direction, Loyola’s Athletic Program was extended and was considered one of the best in the country.
The teams who defended the Loyola colors were called the Warriors for men and the Tommies for women. The Sports Hall of Fame came into existence in 1967 to honour Loyola athletes and builders. Today, the program still exists as the Concordia Sports Hall of Fame. The Department published Programs in the 1960s and 1970s which took different names over the years: Loyola Athletic Programme, Program, Athletic Program, etc.
Loyola College merged with Sir George Williams University in 1974 to create Concordia University. Following the recommendations of a committee to evaluate the Student Services area, the two departments were merged into a single unit in 1975. The director of the Loyola College Department of Athletics, Ed Enos, became director of the newly formed department.
MIGS was founded in 1986 by Dr Frank Chalk and Dr Kurt Jonassohn and is based in the departments of History and Sociology/Anthropology at Concordia University. In recent years, Concordia faculty members and graduate students from Communications, English, Geography, and Political Science have joined in its work, as have colleagues from McGill and the University of Quebec in Montreal. MIGS is a research centre of the Faculty of Arts and Science of Concordia University. The Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS) is recognized internationally as Canada’s leading research and advocacy Institute for genocide and mass atrocity crimes prevention, the Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS) conducts in-depth scholarly research and proposes concrete policy recommendations to resolve conflicts before they degenerate into mass atrocity crimes. MIGS has achieved national and international recognition for its national interest approach to the prevention of genocide and mass atrocity crimes from policymakers, academics, leading research institutes, and the media. Today, MIGS is Canada’s leading voice and international partner on Responsibility to Protect issues.
- 1925 - 1974
The Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams University has its origins in the reorganization of the educational program of the Montreal Young Men's Christian Association (Y.M.C.A.) in the 1920s, culminating in the establishment of a separate branch called the Montreal Y.M.C.A. Schools in 1925. The schools thus became a separate unit in the Montreal Metropolitan Y.M.C.A. organization, under the direction of its own Board of Management (which became the Board of Governors in 1937) and its own executive head, the Principal. In 1926, the Montreal Y.M.C.A.Schools became a coeducational institution and changed its name to Sir George Williams College. The Principal was appointed by the Montreal Y.M.C.A. Metropolitan Board on the advice of the Sir George Williams College Board of Management. A. W. Young was the first Principal; his term of office was 1925-1928. In 1948, Sir George Williams College obtained a university charter. That year a special by-law (art. VII, sect. 11) of the Corporation of Sir George Williams College defined the duties of the Principal as follows:
"The Principal of the College, under the direction of the Board of Governors, shall have charge and general control of the work of the College, and shall attend meetings of the Board of Governors and of Committees of the Board. He shall certify all contracts and all bills for payment. He shall define the duties of all employees of the College, who shall report to him as the Executive Officer of the Board in such manner as he may direct."
In 1959, the College requested that the Quebec Legislature amend its charter, changing its name to Sir George Williams University. In 1974, the University merged with Loyola College to create Concordia University. The Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams University thereafter became the Office of the Rector of Concordia University.
The Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams College and later, University, played a significant leadership role in the development of the institution. The Office of the Principal was occupied not only with day-to-day affairs, but also provided vision and guidance for the development of the fledgling institution. Sir George Williams began as a small institution with an unrecognized program, growing dramatically in the period after World War II and again in the 1960s, when there was a dramatic increase in demand for higher education.
The Principals of Sir George Williams College and University were:
Anson W. Young 1925-1928
Frederick O. Stredder 1928-1935
Kenneth E. Norris 1936-1956
Henry F. Hall 1956-1962
Robert C. Rae 1962-1968
Douglass B. Clarke 1968-1969
John W. O'Brien 1969-1974. (O'Brien became Rector of Concordia University in 1974.)
- 1974 -
The Office of the President and Vice-Chancellor of Concordia University has its origins in the Office of the Principal of Sir George Williams University (SGWU). On August 10, 1973, with the imminent ratification of the merger between SGWU and Loyola College to create Concordia University, a new SGWU Board of Governors was established composed of equal membership from both institutions. On the same day, among new officers appointed, John W. O’Brien, Principal of SGWU, became Rector and Vice-Chancellor, and Patrick Malone, President of Loyola College, became Vice-Rector and Principal of Loyola campus. However, the new university received its official establishment from Quebec only a year later, in August 1974. During this instable situation, the Office of the Rector of Sir George Williams University (“to be known as Concordia University”) operated as much as possible as though Concordia was legally in existence. The English-language titles of Rector and Vice-Chancellor were changed to President and Vice-Chancellor by the Board of Governors, on June 17, 2004. However, the French-language nomenclature for these positions, Recteur and Vice-Chancellier, remained unchanged. As chief executive officer of the University, the President and Vice-Chancellor is responsible for the execution of the decisions of the Board of Governors and of Senate. Vice-Presidents and Chief Officers are reporting to the President, as well as different administrative bodies.
The Department of English of Concordia University has its origins in the respective departments of English of the University’s two founding institutions: Loyola College and Sir George Williams University (SGWU). A formal Department of English was established at the beginning of the 1960s in the two institutions. The administration and faculty of both departments were joined together in 1977 in the wake of the Loyola College and Sir George Williams University merger in 1974.
Between 1966 and 1972 members of the Sir George Williams University (SGWU) Department of English hosted a series of poetry readings that was conceived as an on-going encounter between local (Montreal) poets and some writers from the United States and the rest of Canada. Sponsored by The Poetry Committee of the SGWU Faculty of Arts and the Department of English, these readings involved more than sixty poets from across North America. The series was the creation of three SGWU professors: Howard Fink and Stanton Hoffman from the Department of English and Roy Kiyooka from the Department of Fine Arts.
La Irish Canadian Heritage Society a été fondée en février 1965 à Pointe-Claire, au Québec, par Fred G. Sullivan, à l’instar de l'Irish American Heritage Society, créée quelques années auparavant.
Le premier président de l'organisation était Fred G. Sullivan, suivi de Rory O'Sullivan, qui transferait la direction de la société à Baie-D'Urfé, au Québec.
La mission de la Irish Canadian Heritage Society consistait « à favoriser la connaissance d’Irlande et de ses institutions culturelles et à apprécier la contribution irlandaise au mode de vie canadien".
La société organisait régulièrement des réunions ou des conférenciers présentaient divers sujets liés à l'Irlande et aux Irlandais au Québec.
The Hungarian Refugee Student Committee was established in December 1956 by the National Conference of Canadian Universities (NCCU) at the request of the Canadian Department of Citizenship and Immigration. Its mandate was to assess Hungarian refugee students, to facilitate their acquisition of English and French, and to direct them to Canadian universities and colleges. With financial aid from the federal government, the committee established an office in a government immigration hostel at 1162 St. Antoine St., Montreal in January 1957. The director was Matilde Elizabeth (Mrs. Frederick) Smith. Douglass Burns Clarke, vice-principal of Sir George Williams University, succeeded Maurice Beauchamp, o.m.i. of Ottawa University and T. H. Matthews of McGill University, as chair of the committee. (In 1965 the NCCU was renamed the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.)