Kenneth S. Muer was born in 1898 and died in Montreal in 1981, at the age of 83. He was fond of music and collected sheet music.
Kenneth S. Muer was born in 1898 and died in Montreal in 1981, at the age of 83. He was fond of music and collected sheet music.
MIGS was founded in 1986 by Dr Frank Chalk and Dr Kurt Jonassohn and is based in the departments of History and Sociology/Anthropology at Concordia University. In recent years, Concordia faculty members and graduate students from Communications, English, Geography, and Political Science have joined in its work, as have colleagues from McGill and the University of Quebec in Montreal. MIGS is a research centre of the Faculty of Arts and Science of Concordia University. The Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS) is recognized internationally as Canada’s leading research and advocacy Institute for genocide and mass atrocity crimes prevention, the Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS) conducts in-depth scholarly research and proposes concrete policy recommendations to resolve conflicts before they degenerate into mass atrocity crimes. MIGS has achieved national and international recognition for its national interest approach to the prevention of genocide and mass atrocity crimes from policymakers, academics, leading research institutes, and the media. Today, MIGS is Canada’s leading voice and international partner on Responsibility to Protect issues.
The position of Vice-President, Administration at Loyola was established in 1968, along with the position of Vice-President, Academic. Under the authority of the President, the Vice-President, Administration was responsible for overseeing activities pertaining to financial control, data processing, personnel, purchasing, physical resources and ancillary services, as well as non-academic organization, policy and planning. Albert James Ferrari was appointed Vice-President, Administration after being the first Loyola Comptroller from 1961 to 1968. He stayed in office until the merger of Loyola with Sir George Williams University in 1974 to form Concordia University.
Loyola College of Montreal opened in 1896, as an English-language branch of the francophone Jesuit classical college Collège Ste-Marie. Loyola College was officially incorporated by an Act of the Quebec Legislature on February 2, 1899.
The highest administrative officer, the President or Rector was responsible for the operations of Loyola College. He served as Chairman of the Senate and Vice-Chairman of the Board of Governors, and implemented their policies. He was a member ex-officio of all Board committees. The appointment of the President was made by the Provincial Superior of the Upper Canadian (English-Canadian) Province of the Jesuits, following consultation with the College community. The term was normally three years.
The Presidents and Rectors of Loyola College were:
Gregory O'Bryan, S.J., President, August 15, 1896 to July 4, 1899
William Doherty, S.J., President, July 4, 1899 to October 27, 1899
Gregory O'Bryan, S.J., President, October 27, 1899 to June 23, 1901
Arthur E. Jones, S.J., President, June 23, 1901 to August 3, 1904
Adrian D. Turgeon, S.J., Rector, August 3, 1904 to August 7, 1905
Gregory O'Bryan,S.J., Rector, August 7, 1905 to June 6, 1907
Alexander A. Gagnieur, S.J., Rector, August 10, 1907 to May 4, 1913
Thomas McMahon, S.J., Rector, May 4, 1913 to August 5, 1917
Alexander A.Gagnieur, S.J., Rector, August 5, 1917 to March 1, 1918
John Milway Filion, S.J., Rector, March 1, 1918 to July 1, 1918
William H. Hingston, S.J. , Rector, July 1, 1918 to July 31, 1925
Erle Gladstone Bartlett, S.J.. Rector, July 31, 1925 to August 9, 1930
Thomas J. MacMahon, S.J., Rector, August 9, 1930 to July 15, 1935
Hugh C. McCarthy, S.J., Rector, July 15, 1935 to July 11, 1940
Edward M. Brown, S.J., Rector, July 11, 1940 to July 4, 1948
John F. McCaffrey, S.J., Rector, July 4, 1948 to June 17, 1954
Gerald F. Lahey, S.J., Rector, June 17, 1954 to August 15, 1959
Patrick G. Malone, S.J., President, August 15, 1959 to August 16, 1974.
Patrick G. Malone, S.J., was Rector and President of Loyola College, Montreal, during its greatest period of growth and innovation. In August 1959 he was appointed 13th Rector of Loyola College. The college was all-male, with an enrolment of under 800. Two years later the doors of the institution opened to women, and during the next 13 years Malone was the driving force behind an ambitious program of development. Funds were raised for new buildings, additional qualified teaching staff, more sophisticated teaching tools, and greatly expanded curricula. Although Malone was unable to win Loyola an independent university charter, at the time of his resignation in July 1974 the college had an enrolment of 13,000. Following the 1974 merger of Loyola College with Sir George Williams University to form Concordia University, the Office of the President evolved into the Office of the Principal / Rector of Concordia University.
Sources: T. P. Slattery, Loyola and Montreal: A History. Montreal, Palm Publishers, 1962 and Loyola News, 1968,vol. 45, No. 1, p. 19.
Until the mid-1960s, the accounting and financial aspects of the Sir George Williams University affairs were mainly handled by the YMCA of Montreal. Because of the increasing size and complexity of the University’s finances, and the requirements of the Quebec Ministère de l’Éducation for more detailed data, steps were taken in 1966 by the University to establish an Office of the Treasurer to take over these functions. In January 1967, William McIntosh Reay became the first University Treasurer, thus relieving Henry G. Worrell, Controller of the University, from some of the many heavy responsibilities that had gradually accrued to his office (the function of Controller was actually abolished in 1971). The University set up its own accounting system from June 1, 1967 and the fiscal year 1967-1968, was the first for which complete separate University financial statements were prepared. During that period the University substantially used the services of the Computer Centre in the areas of payroll, accounts payable and financial statements.
Herbert William (Herbie, Herb) Johnson was born November 3, 1902 in Hartford, Connecticut. His mother, Parmelia (1888-1962), was a Québécoise from St. Hyacinthe, and his father, Thomas Matthew Johnson, was an Afro-American. Thomas Johnson worked as a landscape gardener, and sang bass in a quartet and played drums in an 8-piece orchestra that rehearsed in the Johnson home.
Herb Johnson married Ethel Carroll in 1923; they had two children, William and Eugene. They separated in 1927. He and his common-law wife Helen (they were together ca. 1938 to ca. 1967) had a child, Coleman. From ca. 1968 Herb Johnson was with Laura Roger, whom he married in 1972. In 1993 Herb Johnson, by then a widower, moved from his residence in Rosemere, Quebec to a care facility. He died in 199? .
Herb Johnson played in bands as a child, and became a professional musician in his teens. At that time his main interest was drumming. He began his professional career in dance bands in Hartford during the 1920s. At this time he began to play the baritone saxophone, then switched to tenor saxophone, which would be his main instrument, although he also played clarinet. He moved to New York in 1928 and worked in bands led by such musicians as Jelly Roll Morton, Benny Carter, Noble Sissle, and Kaiser Marshall.
As the Depression and Prohibition affected employment for musicians in New York City, he went on the road and performed in Albany and other cities in New York State. In 1935 he was recruited by Jimmy Jones to play in his Harlem Dukes of Rhythm Orchestra in Montreal. Herb Johnson took up residence in Montreal and stayed in the area for the rest of his life. He played with various bands and led bands that played in Café St. Michel, Rockhead's Paradise, Roseland, and Chinese Paradise Grill, among others. He toured in Quebec, Ontario, and New York.
From 1946 to 1949 he played tenor saxophone with the Louis (or Louie) Metcalf International Band at the Café St. Michel. The Louis Metcalf International Band introduced the then-revolutionary emerging bebop style of music to the Montreal nightclub scene in 1946. Herb Johnson brought valuable arranging skills to the Metcalf band, and between 1946 and 1949 he arranged many of the band's songs in the complex bebop style.
In 1950 Herb Johnson recorded Wilk's Bop with Wilkie Wilkinson and His Boptet. It was the first bebop recording in Canada.
In the 1940s he wrote a regular column on the Montreal music scene for The Music Dial, a Black-owned and operated monthly magazine published in New York which covered music, theatre, and the arts.
A musicians' union member since 1922, in Montreal in the late 1930s Herb Johnson was vice-president of the Canadian Coloured Clef Club, the local association of Black musicians. It was absorbed in the period 1939-1943 by the Musicians' Guild of Montreal, which was Local 406 [Montreal] of the American Federation of Musicians; Herb Johnson was apparently the Guild's first black member. He worked with the Guild's Brotherhood Committee, which provided assistance for musicians with medical and other problems, and he worked with the union's Election Committee.
He led the founding of the Senior Musicians Association of the Guild in Montreal in the mid-1970s, and served as its senior director. In 1976 he founded the Senior Musicians Orchestra. It was active, under his administrative and artistic leadership, until at least 1987. Herb Johnson was active in securing grants and engagements for the Senior Musicians Orchestra and he actively promoted it.
While he was a student at Sir George Williams College in the 1940s and 1950s, David Stanger was photographer for the student paper The Georgian.
Hugh Percival Illsley was born in Montreal February 14, 1896. He married Lilias Shepherd in 1940. They had twin daughters. Lilias Shepherd Illsley died 1978. Hugh Percival Illsley died April 19, 1992.
He began studies at McGill University School of Architecture in 1914. At the same time, he joined the Canadian Officers Training Corps at McGill. He left studies to fight in World War I as a machine gunner, then as observer and then pilot for the Royal Flight Corps. On his return to Canada in 1919, he was offered his first architectural job, with the firm Ross and MacDonald. He moved to John S. Archibald Architects in the 1930s. The firm changed names several times: in 1934, the architectural firm of Archibald, Illsley and Templeton was created. Illsley later began his own firm, H. P. Illsley, which eventually bought the Archibald firm. Among his architectural projects were the Montreal Forum, the Masonic temple on Sherbrooke St. in Montreal, Manoir Richelieu, and the Post Office building at University Ave. and Cathcart St. in Montreal. He retired in 1976.
Throughout his career, Illsley maintained involvement with the military. Poor health prevented him from serving as a pilot in World War II, but he helped organize the first air cadet squadron to be formed in Canada under the Air Cadet League. Illsley was the Commanding Officer. With over 300 members, the Squadron trained in Westmount High School, using the Royal Montreal Regiment Armoury for drill and recreation purposes. Illsley designed their first uniform. He tried to get money from Air Marshall Leckie for glider training for the squadron members, but was unsuccessful because Leckie wanted only power flight.
Source: Oral History-Montreal Studies Project -- Hugh Percival Illsley / Transcript
Montreal's English-language daily newspaper, The Gazette was founded by Fleury Mesplet in 1778. It began as a French-language paper, became bilingual toward 1800, and English in 1822.
The War Records Office of International News Agencies was founded during World War II by media baron Max Aiken, Lord Beaverbrook, and employed numerous British and Canadian photographers.
Gerald Clark was born in Montreal in 1918. He died in 2005. He was married and had a daughter, Bette. In 1939 he graduated from McGill University, where he had been editor of the college daily.
In 1940 he began his newspaper career working for The Standard of Montreal as a parliamentary correspondent in Ottawa. In 1943 he went overseas as a war correspondent and covered the Allied invasion of Normandy (D-Day) and the entry of Paris by the Free French. He was one of the 15 correspondents representing the world's press at the signing of the German surrender in Reims. Later he covered the Nuremberg and Pétain trials. A series of articles on the Soviet Union, accompanied by his own photographs, won a National Newspaper Award (1953). Gerald Clark took photographs on many of his trips, which served to illustrate his articles. For two years he was The Montreal Star's correspondent in New York, covering the United Nations. As the Star's Chief Foreign Correspondent, 1955-1960, he was based in London and traveled widely in Europe and the Iron Curtain countries. He was a frequent contributor to Weekend magazine. In 1954 he made a lecture tour of Canada under the auspices of Weekend, describing his experiences in Russia. He became the editor of the Montreal Star, retaining the post until 1979 when the paper ceased publication. He contributed many articles to the Reader's Digest.
Among many other travels, in 1955 he joined the Hon. Lester B. Pearson, then Minister of External Affairs, on a round-the-world flight which included Asia, Russia, the Middle East, and Europe. In 1956 he covered the NATO Foreign Ministers' Conference in Paris and the Poznan riots in Poland. He also visited Budapest and Prague and wrote a series on Hungary and Czechoslovakia. In 1957 he reported from Brussels, Algiers and Cairo. In 1958 he traveled to Red China; he was one of only two Western correspondents reporting on Communist China from the inside. His dispatches ran in newspapers in Canada and the United States, including The New York Times. Upon his return, he wrote Impatient Giant: Red China Today. It was translated into Danish and German. He won an Emmy and a Sylvania award as the co-author of the hour-long CBC documentary The Face of Red China.
His other books were The Coming Explosion in Latin America (1964); Canada: The Uneasy Neighbour: A Lucid Account of the Political Manoeuvers and the Social and Economic Pressures Which Shape Canada's Future (1965); Montreal: The New Cité in English and French editions (1982); and For Good Measure: The Sam Steinberg Story (1986). His memoir No Mud on the Back Seat: Memoirs of a Reporter was published in 1995 by Robert Davies Publishing.
Taras Grescoe was born in 1966 in Toronto, but grew up in Vancouver. His parents, Paul and Audrey Grescoe, are journalists who traveled across Canada while he was growing up. Grescoe received a B.A. in English from the University of British Columbia. In the early 1990s, he lived in Paris for four years, working as an English teacher and writing travel stories for English and Canadian newspapers. He lives in Montreal. His articles have appeared in The Times of London, the New York Times, Saveur, National Geographic Traveler, Wired, The Chicago Tribune Magazine, and Condé Nast Traveler, and other periodicals.
His first book, Sacré Blues: An Unsentimental Journey Through Québec (Macfarlane Walter & Ross 2000), a detailed analysis of Quebec Society, won the Quebec Writer's Federation Mavis Gallant Prize for Non-Fiction and the Edna Staebler Award for Non-fiction. His second book, The End of Elsewhere:Travels Among the Tourists (McClelland & Stewart 2003) is an exploration of global tourism. In 2006, he published his third book, The Devil's Picnic: Around the World in Pursuit of Forbidden Fruit(HarperCollins) which is about prohibited foods and substances around the world. A vegetarian, Grescoe published Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood (Harper Collins Canada) in 2008.
A.J.M. Honeyman joined Sir George Williams University in 1947 as a part-time lecturer in biology. He was appointed a full-time lecturer in 1948, and promoted to assistant professor in 1949, to associate professor in 1951, and to professor in 1954. He retired from the university in 1965.
Donald Herbert Bell (known also as Don The Bookman Bell) was an author, dramatist, journalist-much of his writing was humorous-and a seller of used and rare books. He was born November 17, 1936 in Brooklyn, N.Y. In 1941 his family moved to Montreal. His parents were Sam Bell and Claire Bell (d. 1983). The family name at the time of Don Bell's birth was Belitzky. His brother was Arthur Bell (1932-1984), who worked in publishing in New York and then became a writer at the Village Voice. His sister was Doreen Bell (married name: Resnick). Don Bell studied at Baron Byng High School and Mount Royal High School and then at McGill University, graduating in 1957 with a degree in commerce with an English major. He married Céline Dubé in 1962. They had two children, Daniel and Valerie, and later divorced. In the 1980s he married Odile Perret and divided his time between Paris and Sutton, Quebec. He died in Montreal March 6, 2003, age 67.
In the 1960s he had a number of jobs as a journalist, working for a time at CBC International Services and then at newspapers including the Montreal Herald, the Calgary Herald, and the Montreal Gazette. From 1967 onward, he worked as a freelance writer of articles, fiction (short stories and novellas), and film and radio scripts for a wide variety of Canadian and American magazines, newspapers, and other media. He did photography to illustrate his articles. He wrote the Expo publicity booklet short book Film at Expo 67 (published by Expo 67, 1967). A collection of his short stories was published as Saturday Night at the Bagel Factory and Other Montreal Stories (McClelland and Stewart, 1972). It won the Stephen Leacock Memorial Award for Humour for 1974. His book Pocketman was published by Dorset Publications in 1979. In 1976, he won the Canadian Authors Association Air Canada award for humour. In 1978 he won a Jewish Book Month award. 1n 1986 he won the Molson Silver Award for the Best Canadian Sports Writing category of the National Magazine Awards. For a number of years he researched the life and death of magician Harry Houdini, creating a manuscript for a book that was published posthumously as The Man Who Killed Houdini by Véhicule Press in 2004. He wrote a number of other books, usually compilations and reworkings of his articles and stories, that were never published.
In the 1980s he opened a second-hand bookstore in Sutton, Quebec. During his travels he scouted books and in the summers he sold books at his store, La Librairie Founde Bookes in Sutton. He had a column, Founde Bookes, in Books in Canada magazine, dealing with his life as a book scout and dealer. Bookspeak, a chapbook based on his experience scouting and selling used and rare books, was published by Typographeum in 2000.
John Buell was born in Montreal July 31, 1927 and died on December 29, 2013. In 1952 he married Audrey Smith. They had four children: Katherine, Frank, Andrea, and Tony. John Buell attended St. Aloysius Grammar School, Catholic High School, and Loyola College from 1944-1950, graduating with a B.A. cum laude. He began teaching English at Loyola College in 1950. He obtained an M.A. (1954) and a Ph. D. (1961) in English Literature at Université de Montréal. In 1965-1966 John Buell joined the newly created Department of Communication Arts (later Communication Studies) at Loyola College and, after the 1974 merger of Loyola College with Sir George Williams University to form Concordia University, he remained at Concordia University until retiring in 1987.
John Buell began writing radio dramas around 1947 for the St. Genesius Players Guild (the Genesians) in Montreal. He wrote four novels as well as short plays and other pieces. From 1955 to 1965 he was editor of Unity, the newsletter of Montreal's Benedict Labre House. He directed plays for the Loyola College Dramatic Society. He published the following novels: The Pyx (1959), Four Days (1962), The Shrewsdale Exit (1972), Playground (1976), and A Lot To Make Up For (1990). His novels have been published in some 40 editions and seven languages. Hollywood produced a film in 1973 from his novel The Pyx. A Canadian company produced a film version of Four Days in 1998. The Shrewsdale Exit was made into a film in France in 1973 under the title L'Agression, starring Catherine Deneuve and Jean-Louis Trintignant.
Anne Savage was born in Montreal July 27, 1896. She died March 25, 1971. She was educated at Montreal High School. She studied art at the School of the Art Association of Montreal from 1914 to 1918 under William Brymmer and Maurice Cullen, and subsequently at the Minneapolis School of Art. In 1921 she was one of the founding members of the Beaver Hall Hill Group, a group of 10 Montreal women artists who came together in the 1920s. She began her teaching career the same year.
From 1922 to 1948, she taught at Baron Byng High School in Montreal, where she developed an exemplary and avant-garde art program which trained many future Canadian artists and art educators. She was appointed supervisor of art for the Protestant School Board of Montreal in 1948. She retired from full-time teaching in 1953.
She was instrumental in the founding of the High School Art Teaching Association and in 1955 inspired the formation of the Child Art Council which became the Quebec Society for Education through Art.
Source: The Anne Savage Archives finding aid, prepared by Leah Sherman.
Born in 1929, Patricia Morley joined Concordia University founding institutions Sir George Williams University in 1973 as assistant professor of English. In 1975, she was named assistant professor of English and Canadian Studies at Concordia University. In 1976 she was promoted to associate professor and, in 1982, to professor of English and Canadian Studies. In 1987 she was named professor of English, a position she held until her retirement in 1990. Patricia Morley was involved with the Simone de Beauvoir Institute of Concordia University for some 10 years.
Frederick Krantz joined Sir George Williams University in 1969 as assistant professor of history. He was appointed associate professor of history in 1973.
David McKeen was born January 21, 1938 in Hamilton, Ontario, and died July 28, 1982. He received a Ph.D. at the Shakespeare Institute, University of Birmingham. He joined Sir George Williams University in 1965 as an associate professor of English. For several years he served as the director of graduate studies for the Department. He switched to administration in 1975 when he became the acting assistant dean, academic priorities and budget, for the Faculty of Arts. In 1976 he became the associate dean of curriculum, a position he retained in Divison 1 of Arts and Sciences. He was author of the book A Memory of Honour on the life of William Brooke. The design of Concordia's armorial bearings is credited largely to McKeen, who attended London's College of Heraldry. At the time of his death, he was associate dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science.
Michael Marsden joined Sir George Williams in 1963 as part-time lecturer in geography. In 1965, he was appointed assistant professor of geography. He was appointed associate professor of geography in 1970, a position he held at Sir George Williams and, after its 1974 merger with Loyola College, at Concordia University, until 1995.
Claude Willett Thompson was born in Durham, England in 1888. He died in Daytona Beach, Florida February 20, 1973. He received B.A. and M.A. degrees from Oxford University. He moved to Canada in 1911. He fought in World War I. On returning to Canada, he entered the teaching profession at the Old High School for Boys in Quebec City. In 1923 he transferred to the High School of Quebec as senior master in the boys' section. In 1932, he moved to Ottawa and became housemaster at Ashbury College. Claude W. Thompson came to Sir George Williams College in 1933, and during a 25-year career on the full-time staff taught English literature and humanities, first as instructor in English and history, and after 1934 as professor of English. He was appointed senior professor of humanities in 1937. He was appointed assistant dean in 1952. He was the first chair of the English Department. After his retirement he continued to teach part-time for several years. Among other books, he wrote Humanism in Action, published in 1950. He played a major role in developing the Canadiana Collection of the Sir George Williams Library.
H. A. Finney taught accounting in the 1930s in the Department of Accountancy of Concordia University founding institution Sir George Williams University. He was the author of two books on accounting: Solutions to Problems and Answers to Questions in Principles of Accounting, Vol. 1, Intermediate (1934) and Answers to Questions and Solutions to Problems in Introduction to Principles of Accounting (Revised edition) (1936). Both books were published by Prentice-Hall, Inc. of New York.
Thomas McLaren, architect, was born in Perth, England, on July 22, 1879. He died in Montreal in 1967. He was a partner in the firm Peden and McLaren which designed the first Loyola College buildings on Sherbrooke St. West in the 1910s.
Frank R. Chalk held the position of assistant professor of history at Sir George Williams University from 1965 to 1969. He was appointed associate professor of history in 1969. He continued to hold that position at Concordia University after it was formed with the merger of Sir George Williams University and Loyola College in 1974. Among other activities, he was a member of the Senate Library Committee in the 1970s and a member of the Intra-University History Committee.
Robert A. Fraser joined Sir George Williams College in 1946 as a lecturer in political science. In addition to teaching, he worked as assistant registrar from 1947 to 1955. In 1955, he became a full-time lecturer in political science. In 1964, he was promoted to assistant professor, a position he held until 1983. From 1956 to 1963 he was secretary for the Faculty Council and from 1964 to 1973 he was secretary for its successor body, the University Council.
Stephen J. Scheinberg joined Sir George Williams University in 1963 as a lecturer in history. He was appointed assistant professor of history in 1964, associate professor in 1969, and professor of history in 1995.
Elizabeth Saccá obtained a Ph.D. from Pennsylvania State University in 1970. She joined the Department of Art Education of Concordia University in 1975 and served as Department Chair 1975-1981. She was principal of the Simone de Beauvoir Institute 1983-1985. She held the rank of professor from 1994 onward. She participated in governance of the University, serving, among other positions, as Graduate Program Advisor 1975-1981. In 2000 she received the June King McFee Award for professional leadership, research and teaching of the Canadian Association for Graduate Studies. In 2002 she was appointed the Dean of Graduate Studies of Concordia University. She is the founder and editor of the Canadian Review of Art Education and the author of monographs and articles.
John O'Neill Gallery graduated from Loyola College in 1917.
George Williams was born in 1821 in the County of Somerset, England. He founded the movement known worldwide as the YMCA (the Young Men's Christian Association) in 1844.
The Montreal branch of the YMCA was formed in 1851, the first in North America. In 1873 the YMCA inaugurated evening courses in vocational and general education. The undertaking was first known as the Educational Program, and later the Montreal YMCA Schools. In 1926, it changed its name to Sir George Williams College in honour of the founder of the YMCA movement. S.G.W. was one of the founding institutions of Concordia University.
Norman Cohn was a professor at the University of Sussex and a fellow of the British Academy. He was a research fellow at Concordia University in 1982.
Margaret Stredder is the daughter of Frederick Owen Stredder and the granddaughter of Anson Walt Young. A.W. Young served as principal of the Montreal YMCA Schools (foreunner of Sir George Williams Schools, which in 1926 became Sir George Williams College, a founding institution of Concordia University) until his retirement in 1928, when F. O. Stredder became principal of the College. F.O. Stredder was married to the daughter of A.W. Young.