Showing 157 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Loyola College. Department of Athletics

  • LCDA
  • Corporate body
  • 1934-1975

There is a long tradition of athletics at Loyola. Almost as soon as the College was founded, field days (track and field competitions) were held once a year. In the Loyola College Review of 1915, the Sport pages refer to the Field Day, but also to numerous competitive sports, including Football, Hockey, and Basketball.

In the 1934-35 calendar, the Physical Culture section states that the physical training is by no means overlooked. The mandate of the Loyola College Athletic Association is also stated: The Loyola College Athletic Association was formed to encourage physical exercise and to create and foster a college spirit among the students. All athletics matters were under the supervision of the Athletic Board of Control. Intra-mural leagues were organized and the college was represented in inter-collegiate leagues as well.

In 1965, Edmund Enos was appointed director of the Department of Athletics. Under his direction, Loyola’s Athletic Program was extended and was considered one of the best in the country.

The teams who defended the Loyola colors were called the Warriors for men and the Tommies for women. The Sports Hall of Fame came into existence in 1967 to honour Loyola athletes and builders. Today, the program still exists as the Concordia Sports Hall of Fame. The Department published Programs in the 1960s and 1970s which took different names over the years: Loyola Athletic Programme, Program, Athletic Program, etc.

Loyola College merged with Sir George Williams University in 1974 to create Concordia University. Following the recommendations of a committee to evaluate the Student Services area, the two departments were merged into a single unit in 1975. The director of the Loyola College Department of Athletics, Ed Enos, became director of the newly formed department.

Kenya National Archives

  • KNA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1965-

The Kenya National Archives, now known as the Kenya National Archives and Documentation Service (KNADS), was established in 1965 by an Act of Parliament. KNADS mission is to preserve and make accessible the information resources of the Republic of Kenya. Initially KNADS was placed under the office of the Vice President and the Minister of Home Affairs. Currently it is under the office of the Vice-President and the Ministry of State for National Heritage and Culture.

KNADS Director is John G. M’reria (2008-present). Past Directors include Mr. Musila Musembi (1991-2005) and Lawrence I. Mwangi (2005-2008). Past Archivists include: C. Bwye (Senior Registry Superintendent, 1956-1959), R. R. Mann (Archivist, 1960-1961; Controller of Office Services, 1961-1962), Derek Charman (Archivist, 1963-1965), Nathan W. Fedha (Government Archivist, 1965 – 1974), Maina Kagombe (Chief Archivist, 1974-1981), and Musila Musembi (Chief Archivist, 1982-1990).

Concordia University. Department of English

  • CUDE1
  • Corporate body
  • [196-?]-

The Department of English of Concordia University has its origins in the respective departments of English of the University’s two founding institutions: Loyola College and Sir George Williams University (SGWU). A formal Department of English was established at the beginning of the 1960s in the two institutions. The administration and faculty of both departments were joined together in 1977 in the wake of the Loyola College and Sir George Williams University merger in 1974.

Between 1966 and 1972 members of the Sir George Williams University (SGWU) Department of English hosted a series of poetry readings that was conceived as an on-going encounter between local (Montreal) poets and some writers from the United States and the rest of Canada. Sponsored by The Poetry Committee of the SGWU Faculty of Arts and the Department of English, these readings involved more than sixty poets from across North America. The series was the creation of three SGWU professors: Howard Fink and Stanton Hoffman from the Department of English and Roy Kiyooka from the Department of Fine Arts.

Cathespian Guild

  • CG2
  • Corporate body
  • 1939-[19--?]

The Cathespian Guild was organized in Montreal in 1939, with the primary object of fostering an interest in Catholic theater. Its aim of encouraging and developing a higher standard of dramatic work among English-speaking Catholics prompted the Guild to inaugurate the Catholic Drama Festival in 1940.

Concordia University. Department of Recreation and Athletics

  • CUDRA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1975-

Loyola College and Sir George Williams University merged in 1974 to create Concordia University. At the time of the merger, both institutions had thriving Athletics Department and were involved in Varsity and Intramural Sports.

Following the recommendations of a committee to evaluate the Student Services area, the Board of Governors, at its meeting of June 12, 1975, merged the two departments into a single unit. Edmund F. Enos, former Director of Loyola Athletics, became Director of the newly formed Concordia department. The director of the Sir George Williams Department of Physical Education, George Short, became assistant athletic director.

In September 1975, a contest was organized to name the Concordia teams. A committee, composed of students from both campuses, narrowed the list of 150 submissions. After meeting with athletics administrators, the name Stingers was selected. On November 13, 1975, the Board of Governors approved the name.

In 1976-1977, the Department of Physical Education and Athletics appeared as one entity in the Undergraduate Calendar for the first time. The Department changed its name to Department of Fitness, Recreation and Athletics in the late 1980s and again in the early 1990s to Department of Recreation and Athletics.

Since the 1970s, the Department has published several programs bearing different names, including Sports Review, Stinger Sports, Sport Scenes, and Stinger Magazine, to name a few.

NCCU Hungarian Refugee Student Committee

  • NHRSC1
  • Corporate body
  • 1956-1958

The Hungarian Refugee Student Committee was established in December 1956 by the National Conference of Canadian Universities (NCCU) at the request of the Canadian Department of Citizenship and Immigration. Its mandate was to assess Hungarian refugee students, to facilitate their acquisition of English and French, and to direct them to Canadian universities and colleges. With financial aid from the federal government, the committee established an office in a government immigration hostel at 1162 St. Antoine St., Montreal in January 1957. The director was Matilde Elizabeth (Mrs. Frederick) Smith. Douglass Burns Clarke, vice-principal of Sir George Williams University, succeeded Maurice Beauchamp, o.m.i. of Ottawa University and T. H. Matthews of McGill University, as chair of the committee. (In 1965 the NCCU was renamed the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.)

Concordia University. Public Relations Department

  • CUPRD1
  • Corporate body
  • 1974 - 2001

From 1974 to 2001, the Public Relations Department worked to promote an identity for Concordia University which reflected its academic mission and values and developed a solid base of support in the community. To achieve its goals, Public Relations (PR) undertook communication activities which promoted the University in the media, managed media relations and advised within Concordia those who wished to organize events or obtain media coverage of their activities. Public Relations also answered inquiries from the media and served as a liaison with the appropriate faculties or University spokespersons.

Established in the wake of the Loyola College and Sir George Williams University merger in September 1974, the Concordia PR Department - called Information Office until September 1979 - initiated its activities on the basis of the former Sir George Williams University Information Office and Loyola College Public Relations and Information Office. The Department directly reported to Michael Sheldon, Assistant to the University Principal. The PR premises on both campuses were maintained until the beginning of the 1980s, when the Loyola campus PR office was closed. During the first years, the relations between the two campus offices were sometimes difficult. In February 1976, both respective Senior Information Officers positions were abolished and David Allnutt (former Loyola News editor in 1969-1970) was appointed Director of Information in April 1977. During his mandate at Concordia, he co-founded in 1983 the Corporate Higher Education Forum to promote dialogue between the universities and the private sector. Following his departure, Ken Whittingham (Loyola BA ’71 and former Loyola News Editor) who had been working at Concordia since 1982, was named Public Relations Interim Director, and Director in 1987. He kept this position until 1996 when Laurie Zack became the new Public Relations Director.

The Public Relations Department maintained regular contact with local and national media through regular news releases about Concordia academic, social and cultural events. It also maintained direct contact with Faculty, Administration, Students and Alumni mainly through internal information bulletins, and with publications like Transcripts. First issued in September 1974, Transcripts was the first Concordia-wide publication. It was replaced the following year by FYI and in 1977, by The Thursday Report, a weekly tabloid newspaper distributed during the academic year. This newspaper was also distributed locally and nationally to the media, government, corporate and academic representatives and was issued by Concordia until 2005. The Concordia University Magazine, a publication for alumni and friends of the University, began also in 1977 and remained the responsibility of Public Relations until it was transferred to Alumni Affairs, in 1985. It is also in 1977 that the SGW Campus Information Office produced An Illustrated Companion History of Sir George Williams University.

Public Relations provided expertise and support for designated projects, special lecture series, awards and convocation ceremonies and other University-wide interest events. It served also as the secretariat for various committees, including the Stone-Consolidated Lecture Series Committee and the Board of Governors Communications and Graduation Ceremonies Committees.

At end of 2001, the functions of Public Relations were divided between Public Affairs and Internal Relations and Communications.

Quebec Association for Adult Learning

  • QAAL1
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-

Steps toward founding the Quebec Association for Adult Learning (QAAL) took place in the late 1970s at meetings between the Canadian Association of Adult Education and the Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal. The formal creation of QAAL was in June 1981. The association serves Quebec adults who pursue learning projects, primarily in the English language.

The objectives of the QAAL are to provide leadership in lifelong learning and to promote educational opportunities for adults; to disseminate information; to facilitate voluntary cooperation among groups concerned with adult learning; to provide a forum for the exchange of ideas; to identify the educational needs of adults, and to train adult educators.

Concordia University is an institutional member. The Association secretariat is located at Concordia University.

The Link

  • TL1
  • Corporate body
  • 1980-

The Link is a Concordia University student newspaper. It was established in 1980 with the merger of the Loyola News and The Georgian. Loyola College had merged with Sir George Williams University in 1974 to form Concordia University. As the result of a referendum in March 1986, The Link became autonomous from the Concordia University Students' Association (CUSA); students agreed to pay a direct fee to finance the operations of the two existing student newspapers, The Link and Concordian.

Concordia University. Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies

  • CUMIGS1
  • Corporate body
  • 1986-

MIGS was founded in 1986 by Dr Frank Chalk and Dr Kurt Jonassohn and is based in the departments of History and Sociology/Anthropology at Concordia University. In recent years, Concordia faculty members and graduate students from Communications, English, Geography, and Political Science have joined in its work, as have colleagues from McGill and the University of Quebec in Montreal. MIGS is a research centre of the Faculty of Arts and Science of Concordia University. The Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS) is recognized internationally as Canada’s leading research and advocacy Institute for genocide and mass atrocity crimes prevention, the Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS) conducts in-depth scholarly research and proposes concrete policy recommendations to resolve conflicts before they degenerate into mass atrocity crimes. MIGS has achieved national and international recognition for its national interest approach to the prevention of genocide and mass atrocity crimes from policymakers, academics, leading research institutes, and the media. Today, MIGS is Canada’s leading voice and international partner on Responsibility to Protect issues.

Loyola College. Office of the Vice-President, Administration

  • LCOVPA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1968 - 1974

The position of Vice-President, Administration at Loyola was established in 1968, along with the position of Vice-President, Academic. Under the authority of the President, the Vice-President, Administration was responsible for overseeing activities pertaining to financial control, data processing, personnel, purchasing, physical resources and ancillary services, as well as non-academic organization, policy and planning. Albert James Ferrari was appointed Vice-President, Administration after being the first Loyola Comptroller from 1961 to 1968. He stayed in office until the merger of Loyola with Sir George Williams University in 1974 to form Concordia University.

Loyola College. Office of the President

  • LOOP1
  • Corporate body
  • 1896-1974

Loyola College of Montreal opened in 1896, as an English-language branch of the francophone Jesuit classical college Collège Ste-Marie. Loyola College was officially incorporated by an Act of the Quebec Legislature on February 2, 1899.

The highest administrative officer, the President or Rector was responsible for the operations of Loyola College. He served as Chairman of the Senate and Vice-Chairman of the Board of Governors, and implemented their policies. He was a member ex-officio of all Board committees. The appointment of the President was made by the Provincial Superior of the Upper Canadian (English-Canadian) Province of the Jesuits, following consultation with the College community. The term was normally three years.

The Presidents and Rectors of Loyola College were:

Gregory O'Bryan, S.J., President, August 15, 1896 to July 4, 1899
William Doherty, S.J., President, July 4, 1899 to October 27, 1899
Gregory O'Bryan, S.J., President, October 27, 1899 to June 23, 1901
Arthur E. Jones, S.J., President, June 23, 1901 to August 3, 1904
Adrian D. Turgeon, S.J., Rector, August 3, 1904 to August 7, 1905
Gregory O'Bryan,S.J., Rector, August 7, 1905 to June 6, 1907
Alexander A. Gagnieur, S.J., Rector, August 10, 1907 to May 4, 1913
Thomas McMahon, S.J., Rector, May 4, 1913 to August 5, 1917
Alexander A.Gagnieur, S.J., Rector, August 5, 1917 to March 1, 1918
John Milway Filion, S.J., Rector, March 1, 1918 to July 1, 1918
William H. Hingston, S.J. , Rector, July 1, 1918 to July 31, 1925
Erle Gladstone Bartlett, S.J.. Rector, July 31, 1925 to August 9, 1930
Thomas J. MacMahon, S.J., Rector, August 9, 1930 to July 15, 1935
Hugh C. McCarthy, S.J., Rector, July 15, 1935 to July 11, 1940
Edward M. Brown, S.J., Rector, July 11, 1940 to July 4, 1948
John F. McCaffrey, S.J., Rector, July 4, 1948 to June 17, 1954
Gerald F. Lahey, S.J., Rector, June 17, 1954 to August 15, 1959
Patrick G. Malone, S.J., President, August 15, 1959 to August 16, 1974.

Patrick G. Malone, S.J., was Rector and President of Loyola College, Montreal, during its greatest period of growth and innovation. In August 1959 he was appointed 13th Rector of Loyola College. The college was all-male, with an enrolment of under 800. Two years later the doors of the institution opened to women, and during the next 13 years Malone was the driving force behind an ambitious program of development. Funds were raised for new buildings, additional qualified teaching staff, more sophisticated teaching tools, and greatly expanded curricula. Although Malone was unable to win Loyola an independent university charter, at the time of his resignation in July 1974 the college had an enrolment of 13,000. Following the 1974 merger of Loyola College with Sir George Williams University to form Concordia University, the Office of the President evolved into the Office of the Principal / Rector of Concordia University.

Sources: T. P. Slattery, Loyola and Montreal: A History. Montreal, Palm Publishers, 1962 and Loyola News, 1968,vol. 45, No. 1, p. 19.

Sir George Williams University. Office of the Treasurer

  • SGWUOT1
  • Corporate body
  • 1966 - 1974

Until the mid-1960s, the accounting and financial aspects of the Sir George Williams University affairs were mainly handled by the YMCA of Montreal. Because of the increasing size and complexity of the University’s finances, and the requirements of the Quebec Ministère de l’Éducation for more detailed data, steps were taken in 1966 by the University to establish an Office of the Treasurer to take over these functions. In January 1967, William McIntosh Reay became the first University Treasurer, thus relieving Henry G. Worrell, Controller of the University, from some of the many heavy responsibilities that had gradually accrued to his office (the function of Controller was actually abolished in 1971). The University set up its own accounting system from June 1, 1967 and the fiscal year 1967-1968, was the first for which complete separate University financial statements were prepared. During that period the University substantially used the services of the Computer Centre in the areas of payroll, accounts payable and financial statements.

Montreal Gazette

  • MG1
  • Corporate body
  • 1778 -

Montreal's English-language daily newspaper, The Gazette was founded by Fleury Mesplet in 1778. It began as a French-language paper, became bilingual toward 1800, and English in 1822.

The War Records Office of International News Agencies was founded during World War II by media baron Max Aiken, Lord Beaverbrook, and employed numerous British and Canadian photographers.

Concordia University. International and Ethnic Associations Council (IEAC)

  • CUIEAC1
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-

The International and Ethnic Associations Council of Concordia is an umbrella organization representing (as of 2015) 9 international/ethnic associations at Concordia University. It was founded in 1981 and recognized by the Concordia Council on Student Life (CCSL) in October 1982. The IEAC has since established itself as the governing body of its member associations, representing them before the university’s administration, faculty, student population, other university bodies and student organizations, as well as the community at large.
The IEAC consists of one representative from each member association and an elected executive. As such, it oversees and coordinates the activities of its member associations, as it seeks to promote an alliance and improved relations between international/ethnic student associations and other student organizations. Its main objectives are to unite Concordia’s various ethnic communities, and provide a place for social and cultural integration for its member’s association.
Among the activities to promote cultural diversity, the IEAC has hosted over the years a Cultural Week event where each group gives the Concordia community the opportunity to experience firsthand foreign cultures with music, dance and food. Other cultural events include concerts, exhibits, workshops and lectures.

Corporate-Higher Education Forum

  • CHEF1
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-

The Canadian Corporate-Higher Education Forum (C-HEF) was established to bring the leadership of major Canadian private and public corporations into contact with the presidents, principals, and rectors of the country's universities. (C-HEF is a sister organization of the Business-Higher Education Forum of the USA.) Consultations with potential members began in 1981. The first Corporate-Higher Education Forum was held at Concordia University on May 20, 1983. The Forum was an initiative of Concordia University, which agreed to house its secretariat. In [199?] the secretariat moved to Calgary, Alberta.

The Forum aims to advance mutual understanding through an exchange of ideas; to develop policy statements on issues and questions of mutual interest and concern; to provide a vehicle for corporate and university leadership to reflect upon issues of national significance, and to support and sponsor cooperative activities.

Journal of Canadian Art History

  • JCAH1
  • Corporate body
  • 1974-

The Journal of Canadian Art History, a scholarly publication, was founded in 1974 and appears twice yearly. It publishes studies in all aspects of the history of Canadian art, architecture, and the decorative arts, and Inuit and North American Native art - from the eighteenth century to the contemporary period. Contents include individual studies on artists, architects, art works, and buildings, as well as articles on art media, art theory and criticism, patronage, institutions, and education. Themes and issues in Canadian art such as problems of iconography, connoisseurship, attribution, and stylistic development are also covered. In addition, such features as Sources and Documents, Book Reviews, and Commentaries are regularly presented. The material is published in English or French and the articles are accompanied by a translated résumé.

The Journal of Canadian Art History is the only scholarly journal devoted entirely to the issues and events in Canadian art history.

Concordia University. Garnet Key Society

  • CUGKS1
  • Corporate body
  • 1956-

The first Key society was formed in the United States in the 1920s. The movement eventually became international. Formed to welcome and assist visiting athletic teams, the Key societies developed into service bodies to act as general representatives of their respective universities. Their role is to provide a welcoming service for the university, to orientate students to university life, and to provide general assistance to the university.

The Garnet Key Society was begun at Sir George Williams College in 1956 by two fourth-year students, Vic Rogers and Dave Williams with assistance from the Faculty Council, as well as athletic director Mag Flynn and fourth-year student Stu McEvoy. The first official function was to assist in welcoming Hungarian refugee students en route to the University of British Columbia. Since then the Society has been increasingly active in all phases of university life. Membership is considered an honour, and members act as ambassadors, representing the student body at official university events.

Concordia University. Lesbian Studies Coalition

  • CULSC1
  • Corporate body
  • 1987-

The Coalition for the Integration of Lesbian Studies at Concordia was created in 1987. The name was changed to Lesbian Studies Coalition of Concordia (LSCC) in 1989.

The LSCC works toward integrating lesbian material and perspectives into all applicable disciplines, and eventually establishing a degree-granting program. The coalition acts as a support group for lesbians who need to discuss their experiences in a lesbophobic academic community and acts as a watchdog against heterosexism.

Thomas More Institute

  • TMI1
  • Corporate body
  • 1946-

Montreal's Thomas More Institute was founded in 1946, with 90 students enrolled in six courses. Its aim is to provide opportunities for lifelong learning and liberal education for adults. More than 350 of its students have earned the degree of Bachelor of Arts: 271 from 1948 to 1974 within the context of an association with the Université de Montréal, and 95 since 1975 by virtue of an affiliation with Bishop's University.

Eric O'Connor, S.J., a teacher at Concordia University founding institution Loyola College from 1934-1936 and 1942-1980, was one of the founders of the Thomas More Institute.

The Institute is named after Thomas More (1478-1535), one of the great humanist scholars of the Renaissance. He contributed significantly to that critical shift from the medieval to the modern world by articulating and promoting, for men and women alike, a new concept of education based upon the priority of open inquiry and critical thought. In his view, learning occurs as individuals relate the formulations of the past to questions that point toward the future. The Thomas More Institute reflects this philosophy of education with a strong emphasis on lifelong adult learning.

Source: Thomas More Institute Web site (www.thomasmore.qc.ca)

Concordia University. Commerce and Administration Students' Association

  • CUCASA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1985-

The Commerce and Administration Students' Association (CASA) was formed in 1985, when the Commerce Students' Association (CSA) of Concordia University's Sir George Williams campus merged with the Commerce Students' Society (CSS) of Concordia University's Loyola Campus. Both the CSA and the CSS were formed in the 1950s. CASA is funded by the Concordia Association of Commerce Students Inc. (CACS), accredited in 1989 following a referendum to secede from the Concordia University Students' Association. Commerce students' fees are collected by CACS and redistributed to CASA which uses this money to fund activities, projects, and services offered throughout the academic year. Its officers are elected by undergraduate commerce and administration students.

Concordia University. Caribbean Students' Union

  • CUCSU1
  • Corporate body
  • 1953-

The West Indian Society was created in 1953 at Sir George Williams University. With the adoption of a new constitution at the end of 1969, the society changed its name to the Caribbean Students' Union.

Concordia University. Canadian Society for Civil Engineering. Concordia Student Chapter

  • CUCSCE1
  • Corporate body
  • 1985-

The Canadian Society of Civil Engineers was formed in 1887. The first members were Thomas Keefer, Casimir Gzowksi, and other civil engineers. By 1918, the Society's members included other disciplines so the name was changed to the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC). In 1970 the EIC took steps toward becoming a federation of learned engineering societies and the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering, the first constituent within the EIC, was formed. The Canadian Geotechnical Society, the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, the Canadian Society for Electrical Engineering, and the Canadian Society for Engineering Management followed. On August 27, 1985, the CSCE became incorporated. Student chapters of the CSCE have been established in Canadian universities and colleges which offer a civil engineering program. Student chapters offer undergraduate technical programs, often in conjunction with local CSCE sections, and opportunities to meet with practising civil engineers in the community.

The CSCE Concordia promotes civil engineering by informing the student body of upcoming competitions and conferences. The Canadian Society for Civil Engineering - Concordia Student Chapter has been the host of an annual bridge-building competition since 1984.

Source: Canadian Society for Civil Engineering Web site.

Concordia University. Graduate Students’ Association

  • CUGSA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1970-

The Graduate Students' Association (GSA) is the governing body that rules over much of graduate student activity at Concordia University. The GSA deals with academic issues, academic student associations, and services. The GSA council is elected annually by graduate students.

YMCA of Montreal

  • YMCA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1851-

The first YMCA-the Young Men's Christian Association-was founded in London, England in 1844 by George Williams, age 23. It was a religious (Evangelical Protestant) movement for young men who had left their families and migrated from outlying areas to jobs in London. Its goal was their character development. It provided fellowship and opportunities for constructive use of leisure time.

At the world's fair that took place in London in 1851, YMCA pamphlets were distributed to visitors from all over the world, including a number of Montrealers who judged that it would fulfill a need in their city.

An inaugural meeting of the Montreal YMCA took place at St. Helen Street Baptist Church in November 1851. The Montreal YMCA can claim to be the first in North America, although YMCAs started up in Boston, New York, Toronto, and other North American cities about the same time.

The North American YMCAs formed a confederation in 1854. The World Alliance of YMCAs was formed in 1855.

In 1853, the Montreal YMCA hired its first paid employee, Samuel Massey. He worked as a missionary to young men in Montreal. As an adjunct to its religious mission, in the 1850s the Montreal YMCA created a social centre in rented quarters where young men could gather. It included a library and reading room. The Y began offering lectures, an employment service, and charitable relief to the indigent.

The first Montreal YMCA building was erected in 1873 on Victoria Square.

That year, the first evening educational courses were held, in French and shorthand. Services were added for younger boys and immigrants. Sports were added in the late 1880s. War work-services to military personnel-was first undertaken during the Boer War. Foreign service-outreach to other countries-became important early in the twentieth century.

Expansion was rapid, and in 1892 the Montreal YMCA created new quarters on Dominion Square, where the Sun Life building now stands. In the Dominion Square Y building there were meeting rooms, a reading room and a library, club and class rooms, an auditorium, a gymnasium, locker and shower rooms, a swimming pool, a bowling alley, and a dining room.

In 1894, a boys' summer camp was opened in the Laurentians north of Montreal. Outdoor programs have been part of the Association's programming ever since.

In 1912, the Central/Downtown Branch of the Montreal Association moved to new quarters on Drummond Street. That year, the Association opened the Westmount Branch and the North Branch (now YMCA du Parc). Other branches and various satellite units have existed at various times throughout the Metropolitan Montreal region.

In 1931 the Downtown Branch was remodeled and a 500-room residential annex was added to provide low-cost accommodation and meals for men. The residence would later serve as accommodation for refugees. (In 2001 as part of a major renovation of the YMCA Centre-ville, the downtown residence was demolished. The Y opened refugee accommodation in the former Reddy Memorial Hospital on Tupper Street.)

The Montreal YMCA has offered many programs, including physical and aquatics programs and social programs. The educational programs grew to become one of Concordia University founding institutions, Sir George Williams College/University. In the 1970s a shift in government policy in Quebec meant increased emphasis on community recreational programs, and the YMCA provided input and management services for these programs. Community development programs, including immigrant, crime prevention, and offender rehabilitation programs, were added.

At the beginning of the twenty-first century, the Metropolitan Montreal Association included the YMCA Centre-ville, the du Parc YMCA, the Guy-Favreau YMCA, the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve YMCA, the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce YMCA, the Pointe Saint-Charles YMCA, the Saint-Laurent YMCA, the West Island YMCA, the Westmount YMCA, Kamp Kanawana, the YMCA residence for refugee claimants, and the YMCA International Language school and the YMCA Foundation and Metropolitan services offices which were located in the same building as the YMCA Centre-ville.

Quebec Drama Federation

  • QDF1
  • Corporate body
  • 1989-

The Quebec Drama Federation is Quebec's umbrella association for English-language theater. The Federation is an outgrowth of the former Quebec Drama Festival, which was created in 1972 with the collapse of the Dominion Drama Festival. In 1981 a new festival was initiated, and in 1989 the organization changed its name to Quebec Drama Federation. QDF was re-incorporated as a federation in 1992 and completed its last festival in 1993. Current membership includes 100 individual artists and 50 theatre companies. QDF provides leadership in promotion, development, support, and advocacy. The mandate is to represent professional and aspiring theatre companies, individual artists, theatrical practitioners, theatre companies, and theatrical educators. Among the areas of ongoing research, consultation, and representation are access to cultural infrastructures, training resources, copyright protection, and a fair taxation system for artists. The Federation is supported by its members and the Department of Canadian Heritage, le Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, Emploi-Québec, and other organizations.

Overdale

  • O1
  • Corporate body

The Montreal neighbourhood known as Overdale was bounded by the following streets: Overdale on the south, René Lévesque on the north, Mackay on the west, and Lucien L’Allier on the east. In 1987, 77 persons who rented living quarters in the area were threatened with eviction as a developer had bought the properties and wanted to build a 650-unit condominium. Estimated to cost $100 million, the development was to have twin 39-storey towers. The developer made a deal with the City of Montreal that would compensate him for relocating the residents. The developer would provide low-cost housing in a new building a few blocks away named Underdale. A press release from the City’s executive committee has the headline A Montreal Precedent: Developer Commits Himself to Rebuilding Low Rental Housing to Ensure Construction of an Important Real Estate Project.

Only after the deal was made did the City inform the affected residents. Some, mostly roomers, accepted the deal of a small cash settlement and relocation to Underdale. The majority wanted their homes integrated into the developer’s plan rather than have them demolished. The majority of City councillors and the executive committee were in favour of demolishing several buildings. A minority of City Council members were on the side of residents who wished to stay in their homes. Various tenants’ rights and heritage and neighbourhood preservation groups were formed, including the Overdale Housing Cooperative, the Overdale Tenants’ Association, Friends of Overdale, Les Amis d’Overdale-Lafontaine, and Save Overdale.

Residents used what were termed guerilla tactics in an effort to force the promoter and the city to change their plans. On several occasions residents and sympathizers were arrested for trying to prevent their eviction and the demolition of their homes. In March and June of 1988 the police riot squad showed up to evict the tenants who had still not left their homes. The buildings were emptied. Some were demolished and others boarded up. One of the houses affected, though not demolished, was the residence of Sir Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine, prime minister of pre-confederation Canada 1848-1851, considered one of the fathers of responsible government in Canada and one of those who assured that French would be an official language of Canada.

As of 2003, the Lafontaine house still stands, boarded up, and a parking lot operates where the demolished buildings had been located.

Concordia University. Art History Graduate Students Association

  • CUAHGSA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1991-2000

The Art History Graduate Students Association is the body that represents graduate students in Art History in the Concordia University Faculty of Fine Arts. It is student-run and aims to facilitate the formation of students in the Art History Graduate program by events, funding, and support.

Loyola College. Faculty Association

  • LFA1
  • Corporate body
  • 1969-1975

Following the 1974 merger of Sir George Williams University and Loyola College to form Concordia University, the Loyola Faculty Association and Sir George Williams Association of University Teachers merged, in the summer of 1975, to form the Concordia University Faculty Association.

Results 1 to 30 of 157